Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Rut report

Where I’m at no way no how is the rut going full fledged yet.... to early but a lone Hottie can make one thing it’s rocking.
Like others have said next two weeks real good. Sit and sit all you can...lightning can and will strike at the most inopportune times

Took an hour lunch from 12 - 1 saw 4 more bucks cruising/ chasing , quick headed back to stand they are on the move in eastern iowa

I sat in a blind last night, had two mature does walk by less than 10 yards. Figured they were coming out in the field to browse. Time was around 4:40 PM. They got out in the bean field about 40 yards and I noticed they were obviously nervous. They kept looking "over their shoulders" and took off trotting across the bean field. I am guessing they had both been harassed by a buck the way they acted. Other than that, no activity for me last night.

I had my big mature buck on the farm chasing a doe around at 6 yesterday evening. The closest he got to was 50 yards and he ignored every call I threw at him. Ill be back in the same spot bright and early. FWIW it has been a dead zone for movement up until last night. Truly, put in the butt hours if you can. It can flip in a hurry.

Finally had a little action this morning. Been averaging 5 hours in the stand every day this week. Rattled in a small 4 point and about an hour later an 8 point. But it has been dead all week till this morning. Maybe things are finally picking up in Wright county.

Saw 3 small bucks last night and a few doe. Some chasing, but it seemed to be the little guys just chasing after every lady they saw. Some light sparing with a couple of the bucks. Central Iowa.

Seen 5 different bucks this morning 1 shooter, too far out , afternoon and evening very slow only saw one fawn and 2 baskets wandering around, they looked kinda lost

Missed my #1 at 4:10 today he was cruising between two bedding areas. He’s a 160 ten with huge brows. After the shot he walked off like nothing happened. Grunted him back 2 more times but no shot opportunities. He’s 5+ this year. Only gonna get better I assume

Last night was ok. Had a doe with 2 yearlings come by and eventually a spike that harassed them pretty good. Last light a mature 130in. 8 came in and tempted me for awhile. He cut the mature does trail eventually and did a u turn.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kind of slow in our neighborhood over the past 2 days. But should break free soon, looking forward to the high pressures coming!

2 bucks searching and a good one tending a doe this morning. This is my 2nd pass in him - he may not get a 3rd. Lots of mass, but not much time length.

I didn't see squat last night except a tail bouncing away after a very dominate snort...pretty sure it was a buck that snuck in at dark and busted me as I was getting down. Didn't see any deer on the drive home either. Didn't seem to be moving. My local buddies saw pretty much the same. Back to the blind shortly since its raining.

I've been hunting off. And on when I can and this weekend will be through the rain. I've seen 1 really nice 150 inch 10 so far. But not chasing does though. He was all puffed up. Last couple hunts I've seen some lone fawns wandering the woods. Been trying to hold off on my best spots. Last night seen 10 does. No bucks. But it's only a matter of time.

One buck on my way to the stand this morning in the dark. Rattled in busted up 8 pt around 10:30 then nothing. Sat till about 12:30
931553168436ba2551126f43a071c36a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple nice bucks on trail cam pics from yesterday midday. Went this morning and sat in the rain. Not a thing. Going tomorrow afternoon so hoping things start to pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things finally broke loose today. Deer all over me for 2 hours from 3-5. Had 8 does with a good buck in tow around 4:45PM. He let them go while he raked a tree for 10 mintues. Wouldn't respond to anything. Every time I grunted he just looked my way and I swear I heard him call me a dumbass.

Video quality sucks but you can see him.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n3odvY7xsWj8jEIPJSuXxihzmEdOCCjT

Last edited:
Things finally broke loose today. Deer all over me for 2 hours from 3-5. Had 8 does with a good buck in tow around 4:45PM. He let them go while he raked a tree for 10 mintues. Wouldn't respond to anything. Every time I grunted he just looked my way and I swear I heard him call me a dumbass.

Video quality sucks but you can see him.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n3odvY7xsWj8jEIPJSuXxihzmEdOCCjT
Had a Bruiser of a buck do the same thing to me yesterday at 11 am. Biggest I have ever seen on the hoof, had me shaking.
Definitely broke loose hear. 3 different bucks chasing 3 different does hard. Harrison county Iowa. Good luck!

Had a good solid 140" walk in to the north of me last night, tried to get his attention with the grunt to no avail. Wanted to get a better look at him as he was out at 70 yds. He didn't act like he even heard it. Nose was not to the ground, walking at a semi fast pace but on a mission to do something. After he was out of sight for a bit I hit the horns to see if I could get him back around. Nothing. Also had a small spike come though acting about the same, On a mission, but not sure what mission they were on.

Good movement today. Hit some new ground and had an eventful hunt. Saw several good bucks cruising alone. Should be tagged out but he snuck in on me and I was not prepared. 10 yd staring contest. He won.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom