Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A few question

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I think I'm going to try turkey hunting this spring. I have never gone before. One of the properties I bowhunt deer has a lot of turkeys. It is common to see 20 to 30 turkeys out in the fields that border it and going through it to and from roosting.

The property I bowhunt deer is not big, maybe 8 acres of actual cover and a nice creek flows through it. I secured permission to turkey hunt a 160 acre chunk that borders it to the south, I shed hunt it as well, but cant deer hunt it. It is mainly just a picked bean field with a couple tree/fence lines and same terraces. In the fall the turkeys roost along the creek and then filter out through the brush that I can hunt and go into the fields to feed etc.

I don't know a thing about turkey hunting. I will read up on it and watch some youtube etc. Shed hunting this winter there is still plenty of turkey sign..feathers, tracks, droppings etc.

Couple questions. I see pictures and videos of guys just having a blind sitting out in the open. Is it really that simple to just pop up a blind, they don't get spooked by it just there all of a sudden? Is it okay to move it to a different area the next day without it spooking the turkeys? How late in they day will you sit, morning seem better from my limited knowledge? I plan to try both gun and bow, but want to focus on gun to improve my odds being I've never done this. I plan to get some targets to shoot a couple rounds at first to see my pattern. I have a Mossberg 500, whats the furthest range I could expect to make a succesful shot?

Here it is. What is outlined is where I can all turkey hunt. The brush patch is where I can bowhunt for deer. I think maybe setting up along that fence line and hopping they come out in the field would be a good bet? If they are anything like in the fall where they just go out in the fields, I don't want to say it, but it would be a slam dunk. The red x's are the creek where they bed, the lines are where they go out in the fields, and the blue is where I was thinking to set up.

upload_2018-4-4_11-50-37.png

Also I got permission to turkey hunt over here. I can shed hunt here too. (It sure is much easier to get persmission to shed/turkey hunt than bowhunt deer :confused:, but I am very grateful to be able to look for sheds and now turkey hunt) The red lines are where turkeys come out in the field in the morning and the blue X's is where I was thinking to set up. The blue sciggly line is actually a fence line.

This is actually right across the street from where I grew up. I remember in the spring time leaving my window cracked and being awoke by turkeys gobbling across the street before my alarm would even go off. The south edge of the map is a road.

upload_2018-4-4_12-5-10.png

I would head out there in the next week or two and see where they are roosted. You don't have to get close, stay out in the fields and somewhere you can just slide out without being see afterwards. This will help determine where to setup. I like the second setup proposals, although fences can be a pain in the ass sometimes for turkeys (not sure why). Blinds are no problem, pop them up same morning and somewhere else the next morning and you are fine.

Mornings can be more exciting but realistically 10:00 or so on is an easier kill in my book. You get a bird's attention this time of day and the probability of them coming in is much better.
Decoys - good idea
Calling - get decent at it and don't over call.

Just a few suggestions.

Like jkratz5 said, get a blind and pop it up out in the middle of a field where they are feeding. I would suggest a jake and hen decoy about 15 yds from your blind. Get in a good 30 minutes before it starts to get light in the morning and be as quiet as possible. I like to position my blind about (assuming using a gun) 40 yds from the nearest cover so that gives me a 80 yd circle I can shoot at a bird. Scouting will be your friend with turkey hunting. Good Luck.

I agree with Kratz, good advice. I would add that your Mossberg should be fine, the key is the choke in it and then the shell you use. Verify for yourself by shooting(patterning) your gun with probably a full choke, or a specialized turkey choke that is probably "extra full". I have successfully used various loads over the years, but in recent years I have been using the Winchester Longbeard XR's and those things are a turkey's worst nightmare. I have shot dozens of turks over the years, most within 20 yards, but I would be very comfortable out to 50 yards with these, perhaps even further. But I am hesitant to suggest that in public where someone could read it and stretch it even further. Bottom line, test for yourself on loads and patterns.

In my experience, you either shoot one in the first 60-90 minutes of hunting light OR after 10:00A. I have shot over 50 birds over the years and all but 2 of them have been taken early or after 10:00A. I always say that one gobble at 10:00A is better than a 100 off of the roost.

Follow all the advice already given and THEN enjoy the addiction !!
Every time you hunt these pea brained birds you will learn on the go.
Good Luck

Scout, scout, scout. Roost the birds the evening before you hunt so you don't spook them the morning of your hunt. If you hunt where there's birds and put your time in, you will get an opportunity. If all I had to go off of was your first google earth pic I would set up across the creek from your blue Xs. Looks strutty to me. Wait till fly down and throw out a couple yelps and they will come looking. Some birds will drive you crazy and keep you second guessing your strategy but just stick with it and it will happen. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, I’m getting excited! I bought the hunter specialties flock decoys. It came with a Jake. A feeding hen, and a alert hen. They looked pretty good! I got a box call and slate call and watched a few videos on how to make different calls.

Now, for a shotgun question. What choke should I use? Full, improved, or modified? From what I read full.

Full or a specialty extra full for most shells. However this year I'm going to try the Federal 3rd Degree with a modified choke to not strip the wad. It's what Federal recommends from my research and was recommended to me by another member of this site.

I just took a shot at 30 yards each with a Remington nitro turkey 3 inch 5 shot and a Winchester 3 inch 6 shot . The Winchester patterned better, but looked like both would have done the job. I was using the full choke.

Also, are we sure it’s not still January out there???

Top Bottom