Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A walk with Inspiration

Shovelbuck

For those that don't know, "Inspiration" is a fine osage longbow that I've had since 2006. Built by our own, "matchedset".
I hadn't taken her for a walk for quite some time and after watching the History Channel's show last night about Robin Hood, I had the need to go do some stump shooting. I headed to my favorite stumping grounds, a sandbar on the Loup river. The bar is getting over grown with small willows and I guess will soon be considered an island.
Through the years, I've shot about every type of bow known to man, but for myself, a selfbow is the hardest to shoot well. After such a long layoff from shooting it, I feared that my shots would be all over the place. Fortunately, I've shot this bow so much that after the first few misguided shots, things settled down and it was quite an enjoyable experience.
After walking quite some distance and after many shots, I sunk a shot into this huge log and then took a few photos while sitting there relaxing and taking in the quiet sounds of Mother Nature.
What a morning! One that I highly recommend everyone that shoots a bow to get out and do!:way:

picture.php

picture.php

On my way out, I found this bird of prey feather, ending the walk with big medicine is a good thing!:way:

picture.php

Too bad I had to leave it there.

As a side note, when stump shooting, don't actually shoot the stump. Shoot beside it.:way:

I still love the selfbow that matchedset helped me make a few years ago. I'm having troubles keeping in tune with it as I need to skim a bit more wood off it and turn the poundage down. Might have to make a trip back over and see him for some fine tuning this summer.

Muddy,

If you take a trip across the river please remind him
that he was going to make me one that I had won at the shed gathering
a couple years ago.

Thanks

Muddy,

If you take a trip across the river please remind him
that he was going to make me one that I had won at the shed gathering
a couple years ago.

Thanks

I'm guessing he'll see this post eventually, probably sooner than I'll see him! If memory serves me some very serious events have transpired for Joe in the past year or so.

I'm guessing he'll see this post eventually, probably sooner than I'll see him! If memory serves me some very serious events have transpired for Joe in the past year or so.

Yeah I read that too and hopefully things are going a lot better for him.

I actually forgot about the bow and with everything he had going on that was the last thing on his mind. Very understandable.

"One lugs a compound, carries a recurve, but bows like "Inspiration" just float along"

Good pics.

A good day of stump shooting: "I take a dozen arrows and come home with 2 arrows and 6 tips" :grin:

dead_stump.jpg

Top Bottom