Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Anyone know which oak has the best shade tolerance, I have been planting some in existing timber with limited sun. Most seem to be living and growing, not extremely fast. Bur Oak would be first at this point, but Red and Pin Oak have also been OK....anyone experimented with oaks in limited sunlight?

It does not seem any oaks do well with shade. Hence the problem with hickory taking over when large oaks are taken out by logging. The hickory can lay in the shade and wait, while oaks cannot. :way:

I found another good white oak to collect acorns from. This puppy had a pile of acorns while most others had none or very few while I was walking at one of the city parks. There are several you can see in the background also. :way:

LoadedWhiteOak.jpg

Letemgrow: I guess my question was more on the partial sun--not full shade question. My experience in the past 15+ years of planting trees and really watching the results is that partial shade helps some trees. They tend not to burn up in the summer heat, the moisture in the soil seems to stay and therefore help the tree grow.

I have bur oak that were planted in partial shade that are now 15 feet tall. I really did not plant any red oak and pin oak up until 4 years ago, so my experience is short, however, both have shot up nice in my moist soil behind my house, which is also shaded at least 50% of the time! Contrary to some which have died or grown very slow in the full sun.

Personally, I think a tube protected oak with partial shade will grow moderately fast and will have a good chance to survive.

Letemgrow: I guess my question was more on the partial sun--not full shade question. My experience in the past 15+ years of planting trees and really watching the results is that partial shade helps some trees. They tend not to burn up in the summer heat, the moisture in the soil seems to stay and therefore help the tree grow.

I have bur oak that were planted in partial shade that are now 15 feet tall. I really did not plant any red oak and pin oak up until 4 years ago, so my experience is short, however, both have shot up nice in my moist soil behind my house, which is also shaded at least 50% of the time! Contrary to some which have died or grown very slow in the full sun.

Personally, I think a tube protected oak with partial shade will grow moderately fast and will have a good chance to survive.

Partial shade does help some tree species. Northern reds like afternoon shade like an American Chestnut and grow best on the slopes that are not scorched by the summer suns. If they can get a few hours of sun a day, then most oaks should do fine. Then you just have to fine tune and plant each species in their desired location. :way:

Chestnut Oak

I was told by a nursery owner that Chestnut oak produces acorns at a fairly young age, and that the deer love them, any opinions on this oak...I know of no chestnut oaks in MN, but they are rated to zone 4 so they should survive.

Chestnut Oak

I was told by a nursery owner that Chestnut oak produces acorns at a fairly young age, and that the deer love them, any opinions on this oak...I know of no chestnut oaks in MN, but they are rated to zone 4 so they should survive.

Heck...I would give some a try! I personally haven't tried any but if they will grow in you area give them a shot...:way:

Chestnut oak

I am going to try every oak rated to zone 3-4. Monitor the results at 5 years, 10 years etc... The bur oak is very common in my area, with some red oak and northern pin oak...All three have done well on my farms in WC Minnesota, as long as we get adequate rain during the first rain.

As far as hybrids and unique varieties, it looks like the cross between the bur and swamp white oak may be the best so far.
* 25 bur-gambel oaks coming this fall and they are rated to zone 3.

I think the chestnut oak and maybe even the black oak will do well in my area as well, just a guess, but we'll see how they fare.

You guys convinced me and I collected acorns from 2 different reds and 1 white oak. I start with the float test? Then how quickly do I need to get them into the frig if I want to plant next Spring?

If they dropped, then you should be good to go. I would put them in the fridge within a week as the white oaks will probably start germinating soon. The reds won't till they have been in the fridge for a while.

You'll want to plant the whites this fall yet if you can. The reds can wait til next spring. Make sure to save lots of batches. If for some reason you did store whites and did NOT plant this fall BUT waited- get TONS of them because some are going to die for sure. Obviously make sure you take time to store correctly. Try and get whites in this fall though. next spring when you do your float test, you want to make sure you have plenty just in case some or a lot don't make it. Obviously a tiny bit more effort to make sure you load up and you can never have "too many".... Well, ok maybe you can, my wife didn't appreciate all the fridge room I took up last year! :)

My pin oaks have responded to the protex tubes in a BIG way!

Here is a typical pin oak seedling without being tubed

IMG_0208.jpg

Here are the typical pins in Protex tubes!

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

I only tubed about every 3rd tree and the difference is consistant right down the row so it's not a fluke or a "one tree" thing!

The white oaks have responded to the tubes but not as dramtically as the pins and some reds..:way:

pin oaks

Wow, the pin oaks look great, you will have a great screen there, and someday acorns. I wonder how long it will take for them to produce acorns. I have heard 12-15 years with pin oaks, but being they are tubed, maybe that will speed up the process

Those reds look like they are really enjoying those protex tubes! I will be ordering some more this fall for sure!!

Pin oak and red oak

Dbltree/Letemgrow: Do you know on average when Reds and Pins start producing acorns?

Northern pin oak may produce before 10 years in the right setting. Some northern pin oaks may actually be hybrids of red and pin oaks according to what I have read, no way for me to verify that though.

Some of the Northern pin oaks that I have planted have really grown fast, while others have done very little. Tubes sure help!

So, I should plant into rootmaker pots burr oak acorns now since they germinate fast? I can then transplant in the spring or wait till fall? Thanks!

So, I should plant into rootmaker pots burr oak acorns now since they germinate fast? I can then transplant in the spring or wait till fall? Thanks!

I store my white oak acorns in the fridge in slightly damp peat moss, then plant them in Rootmaker cells in late March (indoors).

If you start them in Rootmakers now I'm afraid they would not survive the winter unless you mulched or covered them somehow?

Top Bottom