Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on potential crp acres

bwese

I have 13 acres of ag that is currently half farmed and half crp. The crp expires in a year and I have an opportunity to enroll it again but along with the half that is currently farmed.

My idea is to plant 4 acres to timber and the rest into warm season grasses(bbstem, little bs, indian, and cir swith) Tree options are white and red oak, shagbark hickory, walnut, and black cherry) I'm not wild about black cherry as they propagate easily in crp grasses nor am I wild about walnut.

I can also have 5% in a annual food plot.

The yellow is the where I'm thinking of planting the timber, the red is the food plot, and the balance is warm season grasses with forbs.

The blacked out area is now a soybean/corn field as the owner bulldozed in 12 acres of timber to farm a year ago so I didn't want that to cloud your evaluation. Google earth hasn't updated the area since 2015.

A 2' wide tiled creek with 10' plus steep sides runs through the middle. The owner piled up the trees in a windrow about 80 yards long, 30 yards wide and 12 to 15 ft high on the extreme se edge of the blacked out area.It has made a great funnel effect on the east side of the windrow onto my property from the ne.

Please share your ideas or concerns with this plan. I shared a panned out view to give you an idea of movement in the area.

Thank you
crp plan.jpg
crp plan 2020.jpg

I prefer farms with timber on the northern and western areas for prevailing wind of north, northwest, and west. Access plays into that though. You may consider moving timber area that direction. My 2c

Thanks IBH1983. I have great access from the surrounding landowners, basically everything but the ne corner field with the timber on it yet. My thinking at the time is to continue the movement from ne and sw/s, while making it less desirable for deer to go near edges for poachers driving in and shooting. That north end is a truck poachers dream.

Hardwood, I'm not sure at this time but in my meeting with the nrcs guy it was highly encouraged by him to up my points to max to help get in and that is ultimately what I want to do. He was excited about my chances to get the field in. I will do whatever it takes to get it maxed to get it into habitat. When I meet with him next I will ask him and get back to you via this thread. The species mentioned were the ones he said were okay for this area.

Thanks IBH1983. I have great access from the surrounding landowners, basically everything but the ne corner field with the timber on it yet. My thinking at the time is to continue the movement from ne and sw/s, while making it less desirable for deer to go near edges for poachers driving in and shooting. That north end is a truck poachers dream.

Hardwood, I'm not sure at this time but in my meeting with the nrcs guy it was highly encouraged by him to up my points to max to help get in and that is ultimately what I want to do. He was excited about my chances to get the field in. I will do whatever it takes to get it maxed to get it into habitat. When I meet with him next I will ask him and get back to you via this thread. The species mentioned were the ones he said were okay for this area.

It sounds like a CP3A Hardwood tree planting of 3 or more species (will get you 50 points)
See this link for more information:
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-a...n-programs/conservation-reserve-program/index
The CRP General EBI fact sheet is very helpful.

It could also be under a CP4D OR CPE8C.

I like how you have it laid out.
Which way do you/can you access this from?

Thanks BTM, That sounds like what we talked about. I can access from any of the 3 quarter sections except the northeast one.

Top Bottom