Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on spreading lime

Rous14

PMA Member
Hey guys, headed to the farm next weekend to get some work done. Need to get around a half ton of lime spread on a few different small 1/8ac to 1/4 ac food plots. Have never liked before, have no experience doing it, and I can’t seem to decide as to what the best way to do it is. Buy a 400lb capacity 3pt spreader for my tractor, a tow behind spreader for my quad, or just doing it manually.

The spreader for the tractor would definitely be the easiest from a labor and time saving stand point but I almost feel like for the small plots I’m doing it’s overkill?

I’ve watched jeff Sturgis talk about doing it by hand but a friend of mine says it’s a nasty messy job (even using pell lime)

Maybe the spreaders I’ve seen that are 130-150lb capacity that pull behind a quad is the right answer.

Advice from those that have been there and done that?? Thanks!

I have spread pell lime out of an ATV mounted broadcast spreader multiple times and would not consider that a particularly dirty job. I think it holds a 50 pound bag and I have probably done up to 20-30 bags before in a "session". No big whoop.

I have heard from others though that have tried spreading regular lime via broadcast spreaders that there can be issues of clogging...but that is just hearsay. For your relatively small amount of space...I would just go with the pell lime. If you have a spreader for your tractor already...it sounds to me like you are set!

I have spread pell lime out of an ATV mounted broadcast spreader multiple times and would not consider that a particularly dirty job. I think it holds a 50 pound bag and I have probably done up to 20-30 bags before in a "session". No big whoop.

I have heard from others though that have tried spreading regular lime via broadcast spreaders that there can be issues of clogging...but that is just hearsay. For your relatively small amount of space...I would just go with the pell lime. If you have a spreader for your tractor already...it sounds to me like you are set!
Thanks Daver.
I should have clarified, I do not have any of the spreaders for the tractor or quad currently. That is all part of what I’m weighing. The cost of the 3pt spreaders are like $500 I believe. Just cutting a hole in the top of a 50lb bag of pell lime and holding the bag by hand and spreading it manually is the dirty messy job per a friend of mine but certainly doable.

I used a pull behind cyclone spreader for pell lime. Worked well.

Last edited:
I have went all these routes before! I would not waste my money with a cheaper pull behind spreader (100 to 250 )dollars . i have not found they dont last very long . lime is heavy and the gear boxes take a shit after couple of uses . so put the money toward a good 3pt. Spreader for tractor. And you will have a lifetime! And you will find other uses for it !! I seeded my lawn this fall . i use it to spread soy bean seed in plots . and fertilizer . lots of uses !! My 2 cents! Good luck

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Ok, I found out a quad will not work with a 3 point spreader.
I'm wondering about the devices they use to spread salt/ sand in parking lots?
I think they go into your truck bed.

If you do some looking there are some 3pt systems for the back of quads and side by sides

If you have 4ac. To do. Can u get a truck in there ? Then get lime spreader from coop with ag n pellatized mix. Do with truck

Top Bottom