Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Age and Score

Tim Hull

PMA Member
attachment.php
attachment.php

What do you guys think for age and score?

Attachments

• PICT0065.jpg
    PICT0065.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 294
  • PICT0066.jpg
    PICT0066.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 817
  • PICT0075.jpg
    PICT0075.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 762
It's really tough to tell age without a full body shot and I'm no pro at guessing score but with depending on his non-typ stuff in there and anything else we can't see I'd venture to guess he'll be pushing 170's around. Great mass!

Could be 3.5 don't look real old. Score is hard to say as well cant tell if he is a 7x6 with a kicker on right g3. Gross should be 170s by looks of it. Could be lot bigger next year. But too hard to pass up unless you have the ground locked down

My farm is only 50 acres so If I get a shot at him I will not be passing on him. Be interesting to see if I still get pictures of him after he loses his velvet.

S.H.O.O.T.E.R...........enough said. What a slob, looks like he has a interior bonus g3?? He will gross booner for sure. Seem to be alot of 6x6s showing up on members cams this year. Maybe a couple good winters and decent springs are finally paying off.

3.5-4 - lots of growing left to do but I wouldn't be able to pass him up I would guess 170-175"

My farm is only 50 acres so If I get a shot at him I will not be passing on him. Be interesting to see if I still get pictures of him after he loses his velvet.

Good call. Take a look at the similarity to the buck in this pic. Not the drop tine buck in front, but the clean 6x6 in the background.

A couple of years ago this buck was a regular on one of the farms I hunt. All the guys who hunted there agreed that even though he was a great deer, he was young and really did have a chance to be a special deer if he survived another season. He got a pass during early ML and my partner let him walk at 8 yards during bow season. Long story short...the neighbors showed up with him in the back of their truck during shotgun season 1. Lesson learned...if you get a chance, you've got to take that one. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

I think a lot of people underestimate the age of deer. This buck does look young in the face, but I would guess him to be 4.

Does either really matter?

Would you be happy with taking that deer? Smh

Very nice deer Tim.... urban or not.

Good call. Take a look at the similarity to the buck in this pic. Not the drop tine buck in front, but the clean 6x6 in the background.

A couple of years ago this buck was a regular on one of the farms I hunt. All the guys who hunted there agreed that even though he was a great deer, he was young and really did have a chance to be a special deer if he survived another season. He got a pass during early ML and my partner let him walk at 8 yards during bow season. Long story short...the neighbors showed up with him in the back of their truck during shotgun season 1. Lesson learned...if you get a chance, you've got to take that one. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

That will be the best day of my life when I can post a picture and say "Not the drop tine buck in front, but the clean 6x6 in the background."

As to the original post, no body shot makes aging tough but he does have a small neck which would make me say young. Whatever he is, he's a dandy!

i changed the camera position. Hopefully I continue to get pictures of him after he sheds his velvet. I had a camera in this same spot all last fast after I bought the farm and never got a picture of him. I may never see him again. Who knows. I will let the camera soak a couple weeks before I check it again.

he was young and really did have a chance to be a special deer if he survived another season. He got a pass during early ML and my partner let him walk at 8 yards during bow season. Long story short...the neighbors showed up with him in the back of their truck during shotgun season 1. Lesson learned...if you get a chance, you've got to take that one. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

I wish the lesson COULD be the many deer I've seen get passed, when it's a gamble (it's a wild deer but still have incredible survival instincts) that has resulted in mature mammoths a year or 2 later. I've had it happen to me many times, seen it countless and have tons of experience seeing and watching folks pass a great genetic young buck and him getting to be mature. Sure happens like you explain but is anything in life rewarding without some risk or gamble? This is Iowa. It's personal choices of course and I know vast majority have the "shoot it" mindset with any deer out there in any situation BUT I'm just saying, a ton of cases that are common where guys do pass and it rewards them or someone with a mature buck down the road who does get to see its potential. It's all possible in IOWA - possibly the best state out there for this scenario to play out. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for distraction though - what a great deer. If you do decide to shoot him, congrats in advance. That's an impressive buck, amazing.

Top Bottom