Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa and/or clover - mix or not?

Bobow

I'm in NE Pa and new to food plots. <font color="brown"> </font> I have a 3 acre fairly well drained grass field surrounded by woods. A total of 7 ton/ac. ag lime was put down in 2 applications(over the past year) so I'm expecting the PH to be 6.5-7.0 when I recheck this fall. My intensions were to do 1.5 ac. clover/chicory mix and 1.5 ac. alfalfa this coming spring. But after reading DBLTREE's post on ALFALFA regarding late summer/early fall planting, I'm assuming this is for weed control and less maintenance. Any suggestions?
1- plant clover and alfalfa on separate sections or mix together or skip one of the two?
2- least maintenance and cost based on planting time?
3- best alfalfa for winter survival, pest, regeneration and palatability?
4- any other suggestions!

[ QUOTE ]

1- plant clover and alfalfa on separate sections or mix together or skip one of the two?
2- least maintenance and cost based on planting time?
3- best alfalfa for winter survival, pest, regeneration and palatability?
4- any other suggestions!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your plots would be easier to maintain if planted seperately.

Your soil types would be a concen as to which might be better. Clover prefers heavy soils, alfalfa can do well on either as long as it's well drained.

Clover may not be as long lived, so may be more expensive in the long run, but alfalfa is very expensive initially.

Alfalfa produces more tonnage which can be a problem if you don't have enough deer to keep it "mowed". You will need to clip both plots but the alfalfa can actually get so heavy that the clippings can smother itself.

It's preferable to plant alfalfa where you can let a farmer harvest it for hay, if not clover may be better for you.

The type of alfalfa would vary depending on climate and area, so you would be better off checking with your local seed supply and extension service.

It may be getting to late to establish seedings in your area at this point, so spring seeding may be your best option.

You can frost seed clover but not alfalfa and I think you will find that most small plots end up in clover for ease of maintenance and cost.

Hope that answers some of your ??'s and hopefully others will give you some input as well.
smile.gif

Thanks for the helpful input DBTREE. Based on the late planting would weeds be a lesser problem than the spring planting? Would the alfalfa dominate the clover/chicory if mixed?

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the late planting would weeds be a lesser problem than the spring planting?

Would the alfalfa dominate the clover/chicory if mixed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes weeds are much less of a problem for late summer plantings.

Alfalfa will dominate clovers eventually, however chicory can be planted with alfalfa.

Top Bottom