Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

Initial 'handfull here and there' test last fall for falcata looks 'okay' in our area. Had to get down on my hand and knees to find the seedlings...pencil lead sized redish stem with tiny trifoliates less than a pinky nail in size and in a cluster. Germ % didn't look very high but there wasn't any grazing protection afforded either.

Looks to be an 'improved siberian alfalfa' on the market. Cimarron USA crossed it with one of their improved varieties, and it's called the HayGrazer variety. Neat pics of the root mass.....think it was tested in both OK and NC. http://www.cimarronusa.com/Varieties.html

more details
http://www.cimarronusa.com/CimarronVarietyDetails.pdf

I like the fact that it is both winter hardy and less dormant at the same time! :way:

I see the Haygrazer one at this link:

Haygrazer

HayGrazer
Bred from a cross between Cimarron type and Siberian creeping root alfalfa, this unusual variety has an aggressive, branching root system and a dense sunken crown. HayGrazer's root system allows plants to withstand stressed soil conditions, such as cold wet soils, high water tables, heavy soils, shallow soils, hard pans, rocky soils, etc. HayGrazer provides top yields on deep, well drained, fertile soils, as well.
  • Fall dormancy 4. Winter hardiness 2.5
  • Enhanced winter hardiness
  • High hay yield and quality
  • Withstands grazing and trampling by cattle.

Last edited:
Killing some alfalfa I planted last year that turned out really bad/sparse. Just want to re-do it. If it is dead after round-up spraying- there's no way it will kill my new seeding will it? Just making sure! Thanks!

Killing some alfalfa I planted last year that turned out really bad/sparse. Just want to re-do it. If it is dead after round-up spraying- there's no way it will kill my new seeding will it? Just making sure! Thanks!

Alfalfa can be toxic to new alfalfa seedlings but if you didn't have much of a seeding it may be ok....;)

Thought you'd like that variety! Finding seed may be an issue....Kauffman has one of the other Cimarron varieties so maybe he can get some! :)

Considering last fall and winter were very wet with some sharp cold fronts, I think that my Sept planted falcata heaved or lodged whichever is the proper crop term. Think the red stem I noticed was actually the root with the small leaves clustered off the elevated crown.

I'm going to attempt a spring falcata planting by spraying with gly this week then a light discing in 10-14d to cover bob oats, cultipack, broadcast 20 lb/ac falcata with 5-10 lb/ac cinnamon red, then cultipack again. I'll fence this off from cows and clip the oats. Guaratee that wolly croton will show up, but that can be clipped above the lengumes for good control. Should I clip the falcata late Aug to early Sept? or just let it grow for the first year?

Should I clip the falcata late Aug to early Sept? or just let it grow for the first year? <!-- / message -->

I clipped mine in late August but that leaves it kind of stemmy so I would either mow it off or leave it alone...;)

My Falcata alfalfa is starting it's third year and looking well

Flacataalfalfa4-30.jpg

I have not used any fertilizer at all on this alfalfa simply because it already grows faster then they can eat it and I am curious how it will do. Falcata grows under difficult rangeland conditions so it certainly should do well on Iowa's fertile soils without much help...;)

That is encouraging! :D Our spring falcata planting is still in the early trifoliate stages and small plants. Trying to be patient! :drink2:

One thing to be aware of about Falcata alfalfa is that it is not improved like conventional alfalfas and therefore des not have bred in resistance to diseases and pests.

That is not to say it will just keel over and die but the long term affects in different areas of the nation are as yet unknown and landowners should just be aware of this when planting falcata.

In mid May the "bugs" are starting to eat mine...

Falcataalfalfa5-15.jpg

Not the end of the world of course but it does stress plants somewhat.

Falcataalfalfa-1.jpg

Clovers on the other hand are rarely affected by either pests or disease and appear lush and healthy

AlicewhiteClover4-30.jpg

ISU agronomists have been working on improved varieties of falcata alfalfa so perhaps one day we'll have better seed available, for now however my falcata seems to be no worse for wear and deer seem to eat it just fine....bugs or no....;)

Alfalfa Pest Management

Just figured I'd post an update on my falcata alfalfa trial. I seeded approx 2olbs/acre last fall with oats as a nurse crop and so far this spring it's doing well. I've had to clip the weeds twice so far but the falcata seems to have taken hold and is doing a pretty good job competing against any weeds.

CIMG8283-1.jpg

CIMG8284.jpg

I didn't soil test this area before planting but they are on the way now. It will be interesting to see what it reads.

sorry about the huge pics. didn't resize them:)

There are plenty of ways to establish alfalfa including no-tilling and any can be successful although I have found that preparing a good seedbed first usually works best.

I planted a couple acres of alfalfa for my friend Walt the other day and since it was part of an old pasture (converted to hayfield) with lot's of allelopathic chemicals present I elected to plow it first.

This field is hidden and the farmer that rents it never has time to make improvments so it's just very poor grass hay at best.

CIMG1210.jpg

Even at that because of a lack of other food sources deer already frequent this field so converting several acres to lush alfalfa and letting the farmer keep it mowed and baled is a no brainer!

I nuked the field with 2 quarts 41% glyphosate, AMS and 1 quart crop oil per acre in early April and put on 400#'s of pel lime at that time.

The field varies from deep loamy black soil to hard red clay that is like trying to plow up a parking lot!
Roughground.jpg

Eventually I finished the job however

Allplowed.jpg

We are fast approaching 18"'s of rain since late April here in SE IA, crops flooded out, replanted and perhaps flooded out again. In this hill country water runs off to some extent and what soaks in seeps down hill and in this case into the bottom of the furrows.

I had little choice but to go cross ways of the furrows with the tiller the first time which is a little like riding a mechanical bull a couple up from the low setting! :eek:

CIMG1206.jpg

Once tilled over I spread another 300#'s of pel lime on the upper clay areas and I expect we will need more until we can get ag lime put on.

CIMG1233.jpg

Followed by 400#'s of 6-24-24 per acre, applied slightly heavier in the poor soil areas and slightly less on the rich black loam.

CIMG1234.jpg

When you spend you life working with soils and growing "stuff", eventually you come to understand soil husbandry and it become easier to read the productivity of soils...or lack of it and make changes accordingly.

CIMG1236.jpg

Once the lime and fertilizer was on I tilled them in, in a "kiter corner" fashion to further level the field...if you have every taken hay off from a poorly fitted field, you'll know why it is important to do a good job.

Finishingup.jpg

I pulled a small cultipacker behind to prepare to seed by having an already firm soil surface.

CIMG1239.jpg

Following that I once again hooked up the spreader

Spreader.jpg

and broadcasted 2 bushel of Jerry oats per acre (32#'s per bushel)

CIMG1242.jpg

CIMG1243.jpg

I had not used this spreader before so that requires a little "by guess and by gosh" trial and error to deterine settings, especially before spreading expensive alfalfa seed!

I spread the less expensive pel lime first to determine settings for spreading the fertilizer and so used the same idea with the seed. We had left over red clover, berseem and crimson clovers so I mixed those up and spread those first along with a few pounds of alfalfa.

CIMG1246.jpg

CIMG1245.jpg

CIMG1244.jpg

This spreader has a great "mixer" that keeps seed and fertilizer well blended while being spread.

CIMG1248.jpg

Once I was sure of the setting and it is the very smallest setting in ANY broadcaster by the way, I spread 20#'s per acre of 1015 Supreme Brand Alfalfa seed.

1015 Alfalfa seed

CIMG1247.jpg

By no means the best alfalfa but a reasonably priced alfalfa that would meet the needs in this situation. The fall dormancy and winter survival ratings were good and it also has high disease and pest resistance.

I spread this seed crossways of the intial pass to insure good coverage across the field because it is difficult to see the tiny seeds and be certain of coverage when broadcasting.

CIMG1250.jpg

I then pulled the cultipacker alone over the seed to just press it into the top 1/8-1/4" of soil without burying it and...called it a day.

We'll keep an eye on growth progress this summer and usage by whitetails thru the winter.

Costs per acre were roughly as follows not including labor, fuel etc.

$5 per acre herbicide
$80 per acre alfalfa seed
$50 per acre pel lime
$128 per acre 6-24-24

Alfalfa is not for everyone but if you have a situation where a local farmer can mow and bale the hay, you have the opportunity to have you cake and eat it too by recieving cash rent, not having to clip the alfalfa yet having an awesome attractant lasting well into winter....;)

Last edited:
High court lifts ban on Monsanto alfalfa

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday (June 23, 2010) lifted a 2007 ban on Monsanto Co.'s Roundup Ready alfalfa that was supposed to protect conventional and organic growers from having their crops tainted by cross-pollination.
The court's 7-1 vote reversed a lower court ruling and makes it possible for the U.S. Department of Agriculture to approve planting of genetically engineered alfalfa seeds on an interim basis until a final decision is made next spring.

The complete article:
http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_15741dd8-3185-58d3-9420-6797974a8e66.html

I'm planning on a fall planting of Alfalfa how did your siberian do so far? I like the idea of planting it only once and having years of growth rather than reseeding it again in 4 years. Not really looking for yield but a self sustaining food plot.

I did a fall planting of falcata last year and it has done very well. However, recently I have noticed a bit of insect damage in some areas and possible disease problems but the vast majority still looks great. I'll have to give it a closer look when I'm at the farm tomorrow. Since its not an improved variety it will be interesting to see how it holds up to different pest pressure in the future.

The other interesting thing is that deer use has been pretty minimal thus far. That may be due to it being an area that has not traditionally been a food source. I'm sure by fall deer use will pick up though.

I'm sure dbltree will be able to elaborate a little further on how its doing on his farm.

a bit of insect damage in some areas

I have noticed the same thing with my Falcata for the same reasons. Deer do feed on it but I think they graze more in my Alice white clover (the clover is far easier to maintain)

Any alfalfa requires constant clipping or else no clipping at all (in which case it gets rank) so it's much easier to maintain if you can bale it.

I would suggest not using much fertilizer because it will get so heavy that clippings will smother it unless you use a flail type mower...;)

Our first cutting alfalfa fields finally got baled...right when second cutting should have een taken off!! Daily rains completely halted any chance of getting hay of until this past week which left fields looking like wheat fields rather then hay!!

IMG_0001.jpg

The cool season grasses exploded during the 2 month "rainy" season and then literally went to seed!

IMG_0031.jpg

Didn't bother the deer any and in fact they quite enjoyed feeding on the alfalfa while being hidden in the tall grasses but it sure lowers the quality of the hay!

IMG_0032.jpg

After 1st cutting is off and summer heat takes over the grasses usually begin to go dormant but for those who desire pure clean alfalfa, that new grass re-growth is esily killed with 8 ounces of clethodim and one quart of crop oil per acre.

Here is an example of why alfalfa doesn't work so well in small plots that can't be baled, the hay gets so thick and tall that's difficult to keep ahead of it without causing smothering.

IMG_0018.jpg

The Falcata is greening back up after being clipped although bugs hit it pretty hard

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

I love alfalfa if it can be harvested for hay but otherwise it's pretty tough to manage and on both of my farms deer seem to eat both alfalfa and my Alice white clover pretty equally... ;)

Just put in an order with Wind River for some Falcata Alalfa seed. They're great people to work with, very helpful with working around some last minute problems that came up. I picked up a little Sainfoin too, for the smaller quantity I requested, they are very reasonable, plus they carry the innoculant that is specific to Sainfoin. I didn't want to experiment with 50lbs, but some of the blends out there that include it were a little pricey.

http://www.windriverseed.com/

http://www.plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/idpmcpg7792.pdf

Just put in an order with Wind River for some Falcata Alalfa seed. They're great people to work with, very helpful with working around some last minute problems that came up. I picked up a little Sainfoin too, for the smaller quantity I requested, they are very reasonable, plus they carry the innoculant that is specific to Sainfoin. I didn't want to experiment with 50lbs, but some of the blends out there that include it were a little pricey.

http://www.windriverseed.com/

http://www.plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/idpmcpg7792.pdf

Keep us posted on how you like the Falcata...;)

Top Bottom