Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa

If the deer don't keep on top of it, I plan on just mowing it mid bloom. I need to reseed some areas with clover again....

Very informational Thread, keep it going along with the clover and rye threads!!! im not from iowa, but this is the most informational site on foodplots that i have been able to find, the pictures help stimulate the mind! thanks for the great advice

What is the alfalfa looking like after the snow and cold? Couple fields here had started nice growth and now are brown and wilted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the alfalfa looking like after the snow and cold? Couple fields here had started nice growth and now are brown and wilted. </div></div>

Never seen the likes of it..ever. Hopefully it will green back up this week.

Frozenalfalfa.jpg

Frozenalfalfa2.jpg

Frozealfalfa.jpg

I'm happy to see that my alfalfa has recovered from the severe freeze and....

the frost seeded chicory is coming up! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

ChicorySeedlings.jpg

ChicorySeedlings2.jpg

Better check yours pharmer!

Chicoryseedlings3.jpg

Check out the pics of chicory and chicory seedling in the clover link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm happy to see that my alfalfa has recovered from the severe freeze and....

the frost seeded chicory is coming up! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

ChicorySeedlings.jpg

ChicorySeedlings2.jpg

Better check yours pharmer!

Chicoryseedlings3.jpg

Check out the pics of chicory and chicory seedling in the clover link. </div></div>

Was going to ask you how your alfalfa was looking. Alot of guys ripped their fields due to what Iowa state had to say. We recommended that guys harrow their alfalfa. A few did it, and it bounced back and looks just like it did before the freeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was going to ask you how your alfalfa was looking. Alot of guys ripped their fields due to what Iowa state had to say. We recommended that guys harrow their alfalfa. A few did it, and it bounced back and looks just like it did before the freeze.
</div></div>

That's good info although I hope we don't get another freeze that late for awhile!

Ours looks a little ragged but it's higher then before the freeze now.

The alfalfa is recovering pretty well although I don't think it will look that great until second cutting:

May18alflafa.jpg

Few shots of the frost seeded chicory:

Chicorynalfalfa.jpg

Chicoryinalfalfa3.jpg

It's better where the alfalfa is not as thick or in bare spots and I have no idea if deer will even eat it with all the lush alfalfa:

Chicnalfalfa2.jpg

This is just a shot of a strip of white clover in the alfalfa...easy to see how much shorter the clover is which makes it eaiser to mangage if one is not harvesting the alfalfa for hay:

Whitecloverinalfalfa.jpg

Deer use my alfalfa nearly year around...it's a sure bet if it fits into your habitat management program /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dbltree- Those plots look awesome! Wish I had about 5 more acres to play with. Anyways, a question for ya....I have heard that alfalfa struggles the first year. That it takes really a couple years for it to come into its own. WHAT IF I interseed alfalfa with my brassicas this year? Too much canopy competition for the alfalfa? I plan on planting some sort of combination of brassica/rye/alfalfa. Whether that be a separate plot of brassica, then another with rye/alfalfa, i'm not sure. Just thought maybe the canopy from the brassicas might shade out the weeds enough for the alfalfa to come up a bit better. Of course if I'm planting in the fall, weed competition is less than it is right now anyways. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dbltree- Those plots look awesome! Wish I had about 5 more acres to play with. Anyways, a question for ya....I have heard that alfalfa struggles the first year. That it takes really a couple years for it to come into its own. WHAT IF I interseed alfalfa with my brassicas this year? Too much canopy competition for the alfalfa? I plan on planting some sort of combination of brassica/rye/alfalfa. Whether that be a separate plot of brassica, then another with rye/alfalfa, i'm not sure. Just thought maybe the canopy from the brassicas might shade out the weeds enough for the alfalfa to come up a bit better. Of course if I'm planting in the fall, weed competition is less than it is right now anyways. Thanks! </div></div>

Weeds are really not a concern in late summer planted clover or alfalfa. If you killed the sod grasses first with roundup then all that normally comes up are a few broadleaves.

They aren't a problem because fall frosts will eliminate them.

I don't care for seeding clover or alfalfa with brassicas because they are often too much shade and if deer root the turnip bulbs up in late winter...they can destroy your new seeding.

I prefer to plant with oats in early August which gives you a nice early fall foodplot while the alfalfa is still very small.

Frosts will kill the oats and weeds and leave a nice mulch for your new seeding.

The following year the new alfalfa will grow faster then deer can eat it! (assuming you lime and fertilize before planting)

dbltree- It looks like my rye is smothering the alfalfa/clover mix I planted in early August. Hope it doesn't kill it totally, but maybe I can frost seed to fill it in?? Oh well, live and learn. Great looking plot by the way!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It looks like my rye is smothering the alfalfa/clover mix I planted in early August. Hope it doesn't kill it totally, but maybe I can frost seed to fill it in?? </div></div>

That's pretty early to be planting fall grains with alfalfa. Most likely better off without the rye but I don't know that it will smother it either.

Let us know how it works out either way.

You can frost seed clover of course but not alfalfa.

I'm always amazed at how well alfalfa does almost year around. Hard frosts and it's early November and my alfalfa is still lush and green:

NovemberAlfalfa.jpg

I can hardly hunt stands near my alfalfa in the morning because it is literally covered up with deer!

NovemberAlfalfa2.jpg

One of my trail cams is on a runway going to alfalfa and it is always loaded with pics.

When you consider that alfalfa is one of the longest lived of all the possibles that one can plant for a food plot, contains some of the highest protein levels and lasts nearly all season...it's hard not to consider it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Even with all the snow and bad weather, the deer have been feeding on the alfalfa:

Snowedinalfalfa.jpg

They are digging thru the snow and eating the still green areas toward the soil surface:

LateDecalfalfa.jpg

My clover is gone, dead, kaput for the year but my alfalfa is still "working":

ChristmasAlfalfa.jpg

Of course alfalfa is to difficult to manage unless you can harvest it for hay...out of the question for the average landowner (farmers notwithstanding)

The feeding hay thread brings up the value of good alfalfa hay these days and Tight supplies to support alfalfa prices through 2010 are forecast which should be enough for some to consider alfalfa if they have land to rent and a farmer who could harvest it on shares perhaps.

3-5 tons per acre are easily attainable with proper fertility and at $130 a ton it's worth looking into if you wish to have income and a great all season draw for your whitetails.

Southern, eastern and NE Iowa are areas where farmers feed cattle and commonly grow alfalfa. A little asking around would no doubt yield a farmer interested in 10 or more acres of alfalfa. Dividing your rental ground into 1/3rds to have corn, alfalfa and soybeans would be a hard to beat combo! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Alfalfa Establishment Guide

Alfalfa Management

Alfalfa Analyst

Sustainable Alfalfa

If I had one of these I'd bale my own hay! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can a deer resist 4th cutting alfalfa?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

4thCuttingalfalfa.jpg

Stuff almost makes me hungry... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Anybody give alfalfa a try this year?

Alfalfa production

Alfalfa managment </div></div>

I actually tried some of ours this year and it isn't bad, could use some dressing though.

Does anyone know how much one can get per acre from alfalfa? I pulled some of my crops this spring to plant alfalfa and am wondering how much the average is to have somebody come in and bale it? I posted on another forum site but thoght it might be missed. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how much one can get per acre from alfalfa? I pulled some of my crops this spring to plant alfalfa and am wondering how much the average is to have somebody come in and bale it? I posted on another forum site but thoght it might be missed. Thanks. </div></div>

Right now alfalfa is selling for $80-130 a ton and often you can get someone to put it up on 50-50 shares. You provide all the inputs such as land, planting and maintaning the alfalfa and someone else puts up the hay, providing the equipment and labor.

Yields can run from 3-5 ton per acre which of course varies widely depending on soil and weather conditions.

You can also just hire all the work done if you have storage for the hay. The large 700-800# bales are becoming more popular but you need a tractor to load them for buyers. Lot's of possibles if you can enter into a working relationship with someone with equipment and storage.

i have a 1 1/2 acre field that butts up to 3 acres of clover. i am thinking about putting it in alfalfa. a few queations i have are.
is there a certain type of alfalfa better for strictaly grazing
is there a herbacide to kill broadleaf weeds but won't hurt the alfalfa
is the protien content equal to or better than clover
a
i will be doing a spring planting with the oat cover crop (what would the best seed rates be)
thanks for any and all help...waiting for twenty two inches of snow to melt so i can shed hunt then fire up the tractor

Top Bottom