Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alik got the blood pumping!

Jmac0501

Went to the farm Friday night for a Saturday hunt. We had to go home Saturday night as I needed to take my wife to the airport Sunday morning.

Saturday morning, was a dead sit. Nothing was moving at all.

We took a break and went back out about 4 pm.

I wanted to get to a stand that was interior to the timber a bit on a bend in the creek. With the dampness, it made it so we could get entered quietly.

Radar showed the rain was done... but it was wrong. It was a wet sit, but fortunately it was warm enough to not be a huge problem.

We had action very quickly. Caught a buck sneaking out of the timber around 5. There was a doe bedded across the creek just out of range. Around 6, Alik caught sight of a giant. He was at 80 yards and never came closer, but seeing a 170"+ deer on the hoof is always exciting. He wears a fitness tracker and said his heart rate hit 144. :D
I'll be chasing him shortly. We sat it out and finally had three deer coming through behind us. One decent buck in the mix. I’m not sure what happened, but I think they spooked when Alik cocked the hammer.

At one point there were deer on three sides of us, all inside of 50 yards, but things just wouldn’t come together.

Finally, there was a young buck that came perfectly behind us at around 15 yards with about 15 minute of legal light left. Alik got quietly turned around kneeling on the stand to shoot behind us. As the deer came behind us, I stopped him. I’ve got my head cranked as far as I can to see him…. And nothing. He started walking again. He got about three steps and I stopped him….. nothing.

Conversation went something like this....
What are you waiting for?
I can’t shoot….
Why not?
I can’t see through the scope.
I turn around, and his eye is only about 3 inches off of the scope, but worse…. It was fogged over from the rain.

It’s set up with look under sights, so I reminded him to use those. It’s now or never….

I stopped him a third time, and boom.

Off he went followed by, a quiet crash and silence.

We quickly got down and he was right were both of us thought we’d heard him go down. Heart shot.
Alik2.jpg
Alik1.jpg

We quickly got him field dressed. I couldn’t recall if I’ put a camera up earlier this summer… so I went off to check that quickly. Nope… Never put it up.

Then the fun started… I got 100% lost, in a timber I’ve hunted for nearly 30 years. I’ve never been so turned around in my life. I thought I was going north, and I was heading straight west.

Finally figured out where I was and got back to Alik( I knew exactly where that was... just didn't know how to get there for a bit.)

We started the drag out…. And if I didn’t get lost again. Of course, no cell service to even figure out direction.

Finally got my bearings and got him home.

Super happy to be able to hunt with my kids and see them be successful

Now that was a great hunt. Congrats Alik. Great shot under tough circumstances!

Top Bottom