Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any suggestions?

SaskGuy

I'm looking for resources of information, was hoping some of you guys may be able to help.... Old Buck, anybody?
I'm currently working on local Conservation Officers as well as our Minister of Matural Resources to smarten up with their game laws. Right now our buck to doe ratio out of wack, likely close to 8:1. The DNR offers one either sex tag and one antlerless tag for the zone I live in, a forest fringze zone. Of course 95% of the hunters have the little buck is better than a doe mentality so boom...down goes another 1 1/2 yr old buck. This isn't where the greatest problem lies. In each diresction of my home I can hit the "forest" within 15 miles. In the forest 3 tags are offered, one antlerless and 2 either sex. Of course the mantality carries over here and guys would never dream of using their prescious either sex tag on a doe so now down go 2 little bucks. The biggest problem here is that many people "poach" and shoot both their bucks in zone 55 the zone I live in, the one buck zone. Because of the lack of officers to partol the zones it is very easy and too many bucks are being killed, not nearly enough does. I haven't been checked all year by an officer and where I live I could shoot a buck on any given day and tag it with the wrong tag. Many guys do this. What I'm looking for is some info that I may send on to our DNR and Minister of Natural Resources about the ill effects of a poor buck to doe ration. If things continue it'll only get worse.

If that BS keeps up, I'd start driving around nailing them myself. Might be nieghbors, might be friends. The bottem line is its illeagal and your pissed. I would be to, and I would be patroling the area. You know who does the damage.

I had a great friend for a few years, damn good deer hunter as well, He'd been hunting since he was a boy and I was amazed on how many racks he had. Well after a few seasons he'd be piling up the bucks 4-5, it was crazy. One day he decided it would be good to join our local conservation club, so he was put on a voting ballot and I had a discusion with the rest of the members and said he was a buck slayer, he'd save his tag for the last day if he had time off. He didn't get into the club and I'm the @$$hole now. Saskguy, I would nail to the board. Sorry I didn't have any valuable help.

You are talking about changing the way a lot of people look at whitetail management and hunting tradition. It is a real challenge. I'd contact QDMA. See what they have going in Canada. Hopefully someone in an environment similar to yours has tried and found success with qdm. The QDMA now has an annual convention. If you could get your key dnr people there so they get exposed to the concept it might open some eyes to a different way of looking at things.

Good Luck!
Old Buck

Top Bottom