Anyone Started Looking?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by Gutteddeer, Jan 9, 2016.

1. LYON

LYON PMA Member

I've seen one half rack in my area. Yesterday morning a coyote kicked out a bunch from a timber next to my house and there were at least 5 bucks in the group holding both sides. I have checked some public areas but none of my private access spots will get hit for quite awhile yet. No point in racing to and bumping deer out of locations that only I can hunt. Except for those dang squirrels.....

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. crietveld

crietveld Active Member

I have pictures of one 2.5yr old that dropped last week. Driving around in the evenings the last week have seen close to 30 bucks still packing.

4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

FWIW, our trail cams show bucks still carrying as of last night, etc. We have nosed arounf a little, but will not go into key areas until the cams reveal some droppage.

5. Gutteddeer

Gutteddeer Member

Around me I would say 90% are still holding (to be expected). This weekend I saw probably 25 bucks, two completely shed out and two half racks. It's early but I'm going into the feeding areas only on farms that I have competition. I will stay out of bedding areas til late Feb.

6. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Update - just got a fresh "field report" a few minutes ago... :D

No sheds found today and after checking cams...pretty much all known bucks are still sporting as of now. I think we saw one buck a week or so ago that had scabs on his head, but he wasn't a "regular" or particularly large, so who knows what his deal is, he may just be an early shedder.

7. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

Might be awhile to shed hunt here in central PA, over 24" of snow since last night and could get an additional 6 to 12". Won't even get to check cameras for a while the way it looks. Can't wait till it melts enough to shed hunt, going stir crazy!

8. Gutteddeer

Gutteddeer Member

Picked up 5 today.

9. RDV

RDV Member

Picked up 4 so far, all within 50 yds of a corn pile.

10. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

cameras on our farm show about 50% shed, I have 24 sheds already however, but really want the big boys to drop now..

11. chappy73

chappy73 New Member

Most still holding here in SC IA according to the cam. Couple small deer seem to have shed. Opted not to look too hard as not to push them out.

12. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

I would say 95 percent are shed on my farm in North Central Iowa, I have enough sheds and cam pics to prove that theory..

13. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

I started looking on a piece that I have permission on through work. I only went because it gets hit hard by trespassers early and wouldn't you know it I ran into 2 high school age kids wearing full camo who high tailed it as soon as they saw me. Most bucks are shed on this property but a couple of the good ones are still holding. Hoping we get a load of snow to bury some of them so the trespassers have a hard time.

14. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

They should make a law if you are shed hunting, you need blaze orange on.. I mean seriously, is the shed going to see you... I have the same problems on my farm, I was out Sunday and a guy was in snow camo sneaking through the neighbors, saw me, and took off.

15. Booner

Booner Well-Known Member

We created this mess, social media is the only thing that can be blamed for the recent "shed antler" craze.

With that said, Iowa should make it a law that state ground/county parks/state parks can't be walked until a certain date to give the deer a chance at getting back to normal day to day "deer" activities without being molested by every tom dick and harry. They should also mandate a "license" for anyone who is picking them up; easy way to draw some revenue as well as mandate/monitor whose out there picking up sheds. If we did something like that there's a chance some of the losers out there trespassing everything/walking every acre of state land in hopes of finding sheds to sell would decline even the slightest bit it would be a win in majority of "ethical" outdoorsman's eyes.

16. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I understand your frustration...completely. But I don't think another law on the books is going to change a thing as far as trespassers trespassing.

I would rather see stiffer penalties for repeat offenders and/or aggravated trespassing. That being said...I heard/saw the local coyote hound hunters out in force this past Saturday and when last seen/heard, they were running through a neighbor's ground that I am pretty sure didn't provide them permission.

In fact, I am not sure they have permission from any of the landowners that their hounds were running on early that morning...but that has not been known to stop them.

17. buckfever321

buckfever321 Member

Coyote hunters running dogs are the worst! Seriously no respect from those guys at all and yes I'm painting with a broad brush.

18. Jordan46

Jordan46 Member

Laws will do no good. Shed hunters created the problem in the first place by selling their antlers. Once a market was created and people saw it was untapped everyone jumped in to get their piece of pie

19. boneman

boneman boneman

It's been tough so far for me,just saw three real nice bucks still packing ,that kinda explains it as to why I'm not finding em. Ne ia, anyone else seeing the bigger ones still holding?

20. Rowdy#88

Rowdy#88 Member

Agreed 100% booner!!

21. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

I went for a 5 hour trudge Saturday, found 0. I saw 7 bucks with both sides still firmly attached as they bounded away.