Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Skip,

I would think the black matting may encourage rodents to hang out there personally. In that situation I would just spray with roundup and keep the area open.

That's what I'm thinking but if you use the alum. screen and make sure it is tight to the ground to keep mice away from the trunk it might work just fine.

Might actually "pin" the screen to the ground if need be...;)

On a rare occasion, I slacked off when it came to fertilizing and liming my apple trees this spring. I usually always have time and make it a priority BUT oh well I guess. You all feel it's still ok to put some fertilizer & lime around the drip lines or do you worry it's too late for any reason?

On a rare occasion, I slacked off when it came to fertilizing and liming my apple trees this spring. I usually always have time and make it a priority BUT oh well I guess. You all feel it's still ok to put some fertilizer & lime around the drip lines or do you worry it's too late for any reason?

Not aware of any reason Skip...giterdone! :D

I ordered 5 apple trees from cummins nursery this spring and figured I'd give an update on how they are doing. I ordered 3 Florina querina, 1 enterprise, and 1 goldrush. The size Florinas that I paid for weren't available so they sent an extra 3 zestar to compensate for the difference. The trees arrived in good shape and I was able to get them in the ground 2 days after they showed up.

Here's a pic of one of the Florinas after I did some leader competition removal.
picture.php

With the added trees that I hadn't expected, I didn't have enough fencing to protect them all. Here is a prime example of why you need to fence your apple trees....even in low deer density areas like where my property is located. Not a single leaf left above the window screeening.
picture.php

Liberty and the welded wire fencing that I used for caging. I used 20' sections of 5' high 2x4 welded wire. My newly finished home (except for the landscaping) overlooks what will hopefully be a deer magnet of an orchard a few years down the road.
picture.php

Over the winter I found quite a few volunteer apple trees on my property and did a fair amount of corrective pruning along with opening up competeing canopies to help them produce mast. Here is one that had a large boxelder growing on the south side of it.
picture.php

It won't have a bumper crop this year but it is going to produce
picture.php

I still haven't found time to get the trees mulched and I had better get on it quick because the grass is growing like wildfire with all of the moisture we have had in the last couple of weeks.

Awesome! That hard work will pay off big time in just a few years! One thing MAYBE to be careful of: I put fencing with ONE pole around some trees about 5 years back- the bucks got all filled with testosterone, ripped every single cage right out of the ground with antlers and turned every single tree into a clean toothpick by rubbing them to death! Maybe you'll be ok and maybe deer on my land are just grumpier! :) Just wanted to pass on my experience.
Great stuff and you picked some nice trees to plant!

Awesome! That hard work will pay off big time in just a few years! One thing MAYBE to be careful of: I put fencing with ONE pole around some trees about 5 years back- the bucks got all filled with testosterone, ripped every single cage right out of the ground with antlers and turned every single tree into a clean toothpick by rubbing them to death! Maybe you'll be ok and maybe deer on my land are just grumpier! :) Just wanted to pass on my experience.
Great stuff and you picked some nice trees to plant!

I've had the exact same thing happen Skip, even with two posts! Dang things go on a rampage every fall and by golly you better have some serious fencing and posts or they'll tear fencing and trees all to pieces!

Yeah, personally I'd do 3-4 big old T fence posts that you pound into the ground and wire them to the cage super tight! :) Deer are tough dudes and love a challenge!!!

What the...

I've had the exact same thing happen Skip, even with two posts! Dang things go on a rampage every fall and by golly you better have some serious fencing and posts or they'll tear fencing and trees all to pieces!

I have 7 apple trees planted AND fenced this time around, actually all were planted last year but since 3 ended up deader than a doornail I replanted those this spring. I have 2 fence posts per cage and the cages are attached to the fence posts, but after reading this I am wondering if I have a sturdy enough setup.

I actually have added fencing to the top to keep them from picking the higher leaves off, and while the cages are fairly sturdy, a testosterone fueled buck might just wreck 'em anyway. Then I would be upset! :)

Should I go back and add a 3rd stake and really wire them to the stakes strongly?

This spring we picked up 6 apple trees from Bomgars. 1 Winesap, 2 Honeycrisp, 1 Red Delicious, 1 Empire, and 1 Johnathan. They were bigger trees and in 3.5 gallon pots. I tried tying some of the branches to give them better crotch angles and grow a little more horizontally...let me know what can be done to help these little guys out. Also we added some lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer around the soil and watered it in.

The first one was the Winesap, probably the best of the trees. I tied a few of the larger branches to start the first layer of the tree "pyramid" shape I guess you could call it.
100_1628.jpg

The only thing the I'm unsure of on this tree is what will take over as the main leader branch. There was one there but they cut it off...then the other branch is really starting to split off a lot and has a nasty scar on it. Not sure what to do, probably going to wait and see?
100_1629.jpg

The two Honeycrisp..well lets just pray they even live. Between the transplanting, and 2 days of 40-50 mph winds and hot days they look a little dry and crisp..
100_1634.jpg

100_1631.jpg

The Red Delicious was a touch smaller tree and had a ton of branches. I tied a few again hoping to get some better crotch angles and there were 4 different ones competing for the main leader. I didn't bother pruning yet...thought I read somewhere to wait until the tree is dormant? But I'm thinking about taking the smallest of the four beings it doesn't have the "joint" like the other three. Thoughts?
100_1632.jpg

100_1633.jpg

The Johnathan was a nice big looking tree. It had three larger branches that all reached nearly straight up. I tried to tie them down but they were just getting too big to work with and at too severe of an angle. I tied one off and the other broke with little effort...hope it doesn't kill the tree but we'll see. I cut the branch off so the weight didn't pull the tear down the bark any more.
100_1635.jpg

100_1636.jpg

When it was all said and done we did all we could and hope for the best. Still got a lot to learn about for pruning and training them. We put them infront of one of our hunting blinds...should make for a nice youth season or early ML season some day if all goes to plan. I was able to gather up 2 old bales of fence and go two sections high to make about a 5 1/2 ft. tall fence. Hope the deer aren't too energetic to jump it. One thing we learned right away about tying trees for training is that once the larger branches get to growing prior to training their crotch angle is impossible to adjust. That is how I ended up breaking that branch off, probably not a good deal. Oh well, we got them in full sun and we'll check on them throughout the summer
100_1623.jpg

Thanks for the advise Sligh and Dbl. I'll have to get them secured well when I get some mulch on them. I hadn't figured that the deer would raise much heck with them.

LoessHillsArcher, I can't see your pictures due to the web blocker here at work but it sounds like you have a good plan with the training that you are doing. One suggestion would be to take out them competeing leaders as soon as possible. Competeing leaders make for weak crotch angles and major structure problems down the road. They are also robbing the rest of the tree of energy that should all be going towards the strongest leader. I know that there are some really good links in this thread that will help you to select the best leader for the tree's health. Best of luck with your trees. I hope them Honeycrisp make it for you....won't find a better tasting apple.

I remember reading and watching all the info. dbltree posted and the reccomended only pruning 1/3 or less of the tree at a time. I also thought they said prune when the trees are dormant? When do you guys prune your apple trees?

Some old timer's said the best time to prune was when the knife was sharp. Most will suggest that you prune when the trees are dormant. I try to prune in January, that way I get a good look at the branches (no leaves) and I can take out any branches damaged by excess fruit set.

I've seen a couple of pruning philosophies mentioned here: keep a central leader, cut the central leader, etc. I don't think there is a "right" strategy as it depends on what you want to accomplish. What I try to do when I'm pruning (which isn't often or radical enough) is to open up the middle of the tree to let the sun shine down into it. If a branch starts off the trunk above a lower branch, one of them needs to go! I like the way LoessHillsArchers' trees look with the central leader missing and branches coming up in an almost radial, spoke like fashion. On those trees, I would recommend cutting out any new branches that started to come straight up off of them. Also, next January, my thought would be to prune the tips of those branches back to where a bud comes off the bottom of the branch. That bud will break dormancy and take off, forcing those branches to keep their low, out sweeping growth.

It's not like I'm an expert on pruning though, a quick walk through my orchard would convince you of that! :grin: I guess I could say that I'm experimenting with different pruning strategies (and sometimes lack thereof).:D

I would just add that the first couple years we want to encourage central leader growth, especially on whips, by removing competing leaders. Jordans trees are beyond whips and can most likely be "pruned" to open up the tree as Randy mentions. :)

Jordan, how high is that fence? If it's a standard 4' (or even 6') I am really worried they will EASILY hop over it and kill your trees. If it was 4-6', I know they wouldn't last one year on my land and every single one would be dead (i double up to make it at least 8'). Sorry for throwing my 2 cents in, just noticed from photo and don't want all your trees to be trashed to death in no time. :)

*oh, I just noticed you doubled it up on fence, 8' right?

Its a solid 6' tall, one small spot the fence sags and is about 5.5'. I couldn't stretch it tight and tie it to the post at the same time in that spot to save my life! They've been up for about a month and so far it has held up, we know a couple spots we can get a spare roll or 10 of old woven fence!

Also the fence is at least 7' away from each tree on all sides of them, the pics look a bit decieving. Looks like we need to invest in a new pruning sheers!

Last edited:
Here's my apple tree fence (from pictures i took about 2 years ago).
I had another fence with a low spot in it, I went in there and there were always deer tracks in there (not good!). I raised that low spot (just put another layer of fence). I think my fence is about 9' right now with a few spots being 8'. On my land, if the fence was too low, all my trees would be done :( BUT- that would not happen until maybe October/November I would guess. In the mean-time, all that would happen is they would nip the heck out of all the leaves. That's why I turned this fence into a prison! :) ....

*You can triple up on fence, if the top half of the 3rd layer is not nailed to anything, that's ok- say your poles weren't long enough. I always stand on the truck with the help of a few guys to get that fence up there.

AppleTrees&Fence.JPG

AppleTrees2.JPG

I've found in terms of fence, if you can't get it high enough, you can always throw another one up just a couple feet further out, they won't jump it b/c there's no room between the fences for them. It works in my garden on peas.

I also like to prune my apple trees while they're dormant for the same reason as Randy.

Help me, Brothers, as I am weak! :grin:

They are starting clearance on apple trees at the stores in town and I'm getting in the haggling mood. You'd be surprised what you can talk them down to at this time of year.;) Probably add a few more apple trees to the mix tonight.

Top Bottom