Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Here's a question for ya'll. How you handling pruning once the trees get past where you can reach? Hauling a ladder around seems like a pain in the ass but may be necessary. I will be to that point next year on lots of trees.

Haaahhaaaaa!!!!....... tractor & bucket..... raise up to level u need and prune away!!! Fast, portable and won’t tip over!!! :). Just did this!!!

Prune now or 2 weeks ago. ;). Check out earlier video. Explains & it’s super good!!!!

yeah that's a good idea. all pruning done for this year, just thinking ahead. Be a good two person operation so don't have to crawl up and down constantly. OSHA Approved! lol

• Deleted by JNRBRONC
Show…
I'm in the process of re-caging about 20 of my apple trees. Have to go to a shorter and wider cage on the first ones I planted for pruning and growth purposes (lesson learned). Anyway, I removed the old cages and they were off for a couple days. It is absolutely amazing how fast the deer nip off the branches on un-caged trees. Just crazy. Trees will be fine, but wow... year the deer love them some tender apple wood. Protect those trees!

Planted my first small apple orchard last year with 12 trees, put in another one this on a different farm with 8 trees. Got all trees from Century Farm Orchard, the owner David was good to deal with and is happy to help with selections when you tell him what you want.

Tilled up area, limed it, planted trees and put white clover down on tilled area. Small pond next to the site will make watering easy too.

full

Unloading the important supplies!
full

Father in Law insisted on a break!!
full

Wow! Looks great!!! You will love having those and as time flies by, u will be extremely pleased how u did those!!!

I re-caged some of mine this winter..... the lower branches were growing into the cage..... I looked them over and over.... finally I decided to lop off the lower branches & build a higher scaffolding structure. Should have done it years ago but it’ll be ok. I’ll take some pics later. Rascals are 14-16’ tall & ya- osha would not approve my monkey climbing into the bucket to prune tops & high spots.

Good looking stuff fellas. Very smart on planting by the pond btw ;)

KShunter - nice work, I would say that you did everything right...especially planting them near water to facilitate watering them. FWIW, I gave up on fruit trees on my property a couple of years ago because it was so time consuming to water them during our unfortunately all too common droughty summers. Keep a close eye on them during dry summer periods and I think you will be very happy with the bounty down the road. Good work!

Or Daver..... somehow, someway, find a grower who grows apple & pear trees in an outdoor nursery with rootmaker bags.... a guy that gets them to 5-6 years old..... has tons of them in a nursery.... somehow is located conveniently in Iowa.... when u plant these babied trees (irrigated, pruned, fertilized, trained, etc) & they explode for growth & “almost” drought proof & producing year one..... be 10 years to have equivalent planted in the wild. Find a guy that grows them on emla-111 or bud-118 rootstock And has disease resistant varieties & late droppers. See if u could locate a guy that has same thing with pears, chestnuts, crabapple & persimmon, etc. Wouldn’t that be cool if that existed?!?!? ;).

Or Daver..... somehow, someway, find a grower who grows apple & pear trees in an outdoor nursery with rootmaker bags.... a guy that gets them to 5-6 years old..... has tons of them in a nursery.... somehow is located conveniently in Iowa.... when u plant these babied trees (irrigated, pruned, fertilized, trained, etc) & they explode for growth & “almost” drought proof & producing year one..... be 10 years to have equivalent planted in the wild. Find a guy that grows them on emla-111 or bud-118 rootstock And has disease resistant varieties & late droppers. See if u could locate a guy that has same thing with pears, chestnuts, crabapple & persimmon, etc. Wouldn’t that be cool if that existed?!?!? ;).

Not trying to be funny...is there such a thing? At least once, I spent up for "good" stock and they still didn't make it through the bad droughts we had in 2013 and 2014? I would like to have some fruit trees, so I am curious.

Not trying to be funny...is there such a thing? At least once, I spent up for "good" stock and they still didn't make it through the bad droughts we had in 2013 and 2014? I would like to have some fruit trees, so I am curious.
Oh Daver..... there is. And some members on here would attest.... it’s probably taken 20 years off my life!!!!! ;). The scale of this work is mind boggling!!!!!! I did this for the part of the reasons you said above..... & starting trees is so hard and slow & i love torturous work. :). Thankfully I love trees and major passion for this or this would NEVER have been remotely close to done & everything would have been walked away from & dead long ago!!! I wanted to save people a DECADE!!! & use most of a lot of them for my own farms!!! MANY THOUSANDS. If this nursery doesn’t kill me... yep- almost there. For guys who have been through tree planting’s & understand it & don’t want to wait a decade. It’s so much work!!!! It won’t be restocked any more after this last season. ;)

Here’s when I 1st put it in several years ago.... what they look like NOW is awesome!!! This was the START & today they are MUCH BIGGER. :)
cc57437972667fd160e8277e3e6654b2.jpg
f8997e5620b2855ec4227ea4b18c396e.jpg

d8268fa34f14d90f3c33a53de04cce82.jpg

1e471a9e4825e12ee402b66e19d3dfeb.jpg

7e7762e3fb40a219833aff4f2d4c89f4.jpg

3867a0b81af8953ac2499a1cf71ebcea.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Daver..... there is. And some members on here would attest.... it’s probably taken 20 years off my life!!!!! ;). The scale of this work is mind boggling!!!!!! I did this for the part of the reasons you said above..... & starting trees is so hard and slow & i love torturous work. :). Thankfully I love trees and major passion for this or this would NEVER have been remotely close to done & everything would have been walked away from & dead long ago!!! I wanted to save people a DECADE!!! & use most of a lot of them for my own farms!!! MANY THOUSANDS. If this nursery doesn’t kill me... yep- almost there. For guys who have been through tree planting’s & understand it & don’t want to wait a decade. It’s so much work!!!! It won’t be restocked any more after this last season. ;)

Here’s when I 1st put it in several years ago.... what they look like NOW is awesome!!! This was the START & today they are MUCH BIGGER. :)
cc57437972667fd160e8277e3e6654b2.jpg
f8997e5620b2855ec4227ea4b18c396e.jpg

d8268fa34f14d90f3c33a53de04cce82.jpg

1e471a9e4825e12ee402b66e19d3dfeb.jpg

7e7762e3fb40a219833aff4f2d4c89f4.jpg

3867a0b81af8953ac2499a1cf71ebcea.jpg
Skip, are you telling me that you have some for sale? I am interested. I wouldon't like fruit trees, but am concerned about drought whacking me again.

Ha ha.
It’s LIMITED, SPECIAL & ya- only has apple, pear, persimmon, chestnut & crabapple.
The main thing...... 4-5” diameter 10’ apple and pear trees. Literally save a decade of waiting & success rate is awesome.
Ya- I’ll do some. Pry do mostly word of mouth & still working On pricing. Trying to keep em as low as I can & also get my farms loaded up too. Gonna be awesome & a massive amount of time & work finally coming to “fruition”.

Ha ha.
It’s LIMITED, SPECIAL & ya- only has apple, pear, persimmon, chestnut & crabapple.
The main thing...... 4-5” diameter 10’ apple and pear trees. Literally save a decade of waiting & success rate is awesome.
Ya- I’ll do some. Pry do mostly word of mouth & still working On pricing. Trying to keep em as low as I can & also get my farms loaded up too. Gonna be awesome & a massive amount of time & work finally coming to “fruition”.

Well count me in!

Wow! Looks great!!! You will love having those and as time flies by, u will be extremely pleased how u did those!!!

I re-caged some of mine this winter..... the lower branches were growing into the cage..... I looked them over and over.... finally I decided to lop off the lower branches & build a higher scaffolding structure. Should have done it years ago but it’ll be ok. I’ll take some pics later. Rascals are 14-16’ tall & ya- osha would not approve my monkey climbing into the bucket to prune tops & high spots.

Good looking stuff fellas. Very smart on planting by the pond btw ;)

I have determined something similar with the cages. I am abondoning the 5' tall cages going forward. Too hard to prune and branches grow into fence. Going forward, 4' tall max and wider, until they are bigger, then a much tighter cage. Yep, scrap metal guy just picked up bunch of stuff including a bunch of apple cages I redid. They were too tall, too narrow. Shorter, wider, better IMO.

Bought some apple trees today! (FROM LOCAL LOWES) I got
10 Liberty
10 - Pink Lady
10 - Mutsu
5 - Wolf River

All 1" + caliper @ $22 ea. How'd I do?

Bought some apple trees today! (FROM LOCAL LOWES) I got
10 Liberty
10 - Pink Lady
10 - Mutsu
5 - Wolf River

All 1" + caliper @ $22 ea. How'd I do?
Price aside... can u look at the tag and find out what rootstock u got? Bud-118 or emla-111 sure would make that nice!!!

Anyone else training their fruit trees yet? I’ve never done this, after watching the video skip posted I can see it’s value. And after watching how out of control my trees grew the past couple years, I said I’d start training them this year. So cut some oak training sticks and they seem to work alright. My Keifer pear does NOT like to grow good crotch angles or in good form. All limbs want to grow straight up. Having a hard time training that one now since the limbs have gotten so big and angles are so poor. Actually have broken two limbs off trying to open their angle up. Not good but I’m sure the tree will survive.

899f363f53d547d18acb40409548b7c4.jpg

935543ebf13718c9f86df11cda53262b.jpg

11d1a13fea77628392448840fed9d77f.jpg

bc4ccdef2835f9ae9e7ae655fc7157ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom