Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Dolgo be my 1st choice.

On above tree pics.... I’d run fungicides (captan, copper, Myclobutinyl, propiconazole, etc). I’d also run an insecticide like Bifen xts. Last- I’d add chelated iron & zinc.
The only last things after that would be: too much or too little water. Soil types. Lack of N-P-K (likely P) or way outta wack PH.

What folks know about wild plum trees? Deer eat them? Ran into a guy yesterday. He was in the ditch with tarps all layed and and an elaborate bin system in the back of his truck with topper. I asked him what he was doing and he informed me he was collecting wild plums so the seeds could be used for new trees for a nursing. I had probably driven by that tree a thousand times and never noticed it.

Yep. No doubt! Early droppers so not as if the window for much hunting with them is there but diverse & desired food- they are great to have.

Plum is high up on the chart as a wildlife planting, deer and pheasant use the shrub cover on my farms all the time. I would rank it one of the best shrubs to plant.
Plum 17.jpg

That’s crazy. What type of plum is that?!? My wild plums look nice certain years but I don’t recall them being that nice!
Actually.... putting up stand right now & see this as I’m going in.... wild plum...
1fc9199a2b6d58fb3c964b1c947153c6.jpg

Last edited:
Jon, that is a nice looking orchard you have planted. Not trying to be a debbie downer but just in case it is is a frost pocket you'll have time to move them.

Is that spot at the top of a hill and able to get wind blowing through it to keep it from frosting out? That is my only concern with it. If it is not it will be a magnet.

Any opinions on pruning apple trees now.
Instead of late winter? I have a few apple trees around the house I would like to get a head start on.
Thanks

This nice weather has me chomping at the bit to do outside projects! And the apple trees are staring at me..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This'll be my first time trying but I got some M116 rootstock online its coming in mid march so I'm waiting till late Feb to prune/collect scions. Might as well turn those prunings into new trees!

Anybody do much grafting?

Top Bottom