Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

I was able to get some Eagle 20EW through work and applied it shortly after planting in april and once again 2 or 3 weeks later. The active ingredient is myclobutanil. Spectracide Immunox also contains myclobutanil and is available without a pesticide applicators liscense and much cheaper though at a lower % a.i.

Immunox is typically what I recommend to homeowners that stop in at the greenhouse with rust problems.

OK- where can I get this stuff?

I used Immunox this past summer on an apple tree that always gets hammered by Cedar rust amd it worked great. Also good for black rot on grapes, but for some reason it did not keep scab off my Gala tree. It did rain though ,,like every other day. It is a good fungicide though.

Northern Spy

Has anyone planted northern spy? I have one planted on our farm from many years ago, it really produces some nice apples... I think I may plant more this year. Deer area all over it.

Has anyone planted northern spy? I have one planted on our farm from many years ago, it really produces some nice apples... I think I may plant more this year. Deer area all over it.

Shoot! Everything but...guess I will add it to my wish list though! :way:

Dbltree's Apple/Pear list:

2008 Adams County nursery

Goldrush EMLA 111 (NOT CAR resistant)
Enterprise EMLA 111
Autumn Rose Fuji Bud 9
Red Rome 262 EMLA 111

2009 Century Farms Nursery

Royal Limbertwig
Kinnaird's Choice
Terry Winter
Gold Rush,
Florina (Querina),
Yates
Keener Seedling
old fashion Limbertwig
Imperial York apple

Kieffer pear
Magness Pear

Burnt Ridge Nursery

KOREAN GIANT ASIAN PEAR (SEMI . Don Bae) (Pyrus pyrifolia)
semi-dwarf

SHINKO ASIAN PEAR (Pyrus pyrif SEMI olia)
semi - dwarf

ASIAN PEAR (Twentie SEMI th Century) (Pyrus pyrifolia)
semi-dwarf
2010 Burnt Ridge Nursery

ARKANSAS BLACK APPLE (Malus do SEMI-M111 mestica)
semi dwarf, M111 rootstock

SPITZENBERG APPLE (Malus domes SEMI-M111 tica)
semi-dwarf, M111 rootstock

CALVILLE BLANC D'HIVER APPLE(M SEMI-M111 alus domestica)
semi dwarf, M111 rootstock

CHOJURO ASIAN PEAR (Pyrus pyri SEMI folia)
semi-dwarf

I used Immunox this past summer on an apple tree that always gets hammered by Cedar rust amd it worked great. Also good for black rot on grapes, but for some reason it did not keep scab off my Gala tree. It did rain though ,,like every other day. It is a good fungicide though.

Scab has shown some resistance to myclobutanil so that could one possibility why it didn't keep the Gala clean. Timing is also everything with controlling some of these diseases and with the rain we had even more so. You should spray for scab as soon as leaves begin to emerge and then again approx 2 weeks later.

Captan and daconil are both labeled for scab and I don't believe there are any resistance issues with either of them. If you had a bad case of scab you might consider raking and destroying the fallen leaves as they will be a source of scab spores in the future.

Just a reminder to those planning their 2011 fruit tree plantings to consider utilizing the area in and around the orchard to plant white clover. No sense wasting the area and fighting weeds and grass when the same area can be attractive to whitetails from early spring well into winter simply by adding clover.

We killed the sod around these apple and pear trees in late summer with two applications of glyphosate about 2 weeks apart.

Appleorchardseeding.jpg

and then planted a lush mix of rye/oats/peas/radish and both white and red clovers in late August

AppleorchardOctober.jpg

This coming spring we'll use clethodim to kill the rye leaving only a beautiful stand of white clover behind. These trees are just starting to produce fruit so once again we use the combination of clover and fruit trees planted adjacent to strip plots of brassicas, the rye combination and more clover to keep deer adapted to feeding here year around.

Start your orchard with late bearing apples and pears but then each year add earlier bearing trees so that eventually trees are bearing fruit from July to November and with clover attracting them from early April through January the combination is an excellent attractant and source of high quality feed.

I would also add that the combination of clover and fruit trees is perfect for small woodland openings where large scale food plots are not feasible, both clover and fruit trees can be maintained with a backpack sprayer and even a weed whip if necessary.

Check the front page for more ideas and details on varieties and planting info because fruit trees are often the one thing that the neighbors don't have and are simply irresistible to whitetails.... :way:

We killed the sod around these apple and pear trees in late summer with two applications of glyphosate about 2 weeks apart.

dbltree: couple questions
1) I don't have much experience spraying grass or weeds, last year was actually the 1st time. Seemed like the advice I was getting was that the optimal time to spray was once in May, then again about 4 weeks later and a 3rd time in mid-September. So if I wanted to spray and not have to cut grass first would some other times work out? For me timing might be better in June and then again in September or just Septmber (I'm not planning on planting anything this late-spring/early summer, maybe this fall, if not then next spring).

2) I've typcially planted Oak in the late April early May period, I know you mentioned that you'll plant some of your seedlings throughout the summer as time permits. Could I plant Oak or Apple trees as late as the end of September (wondering if you've tried it that late)?

3) One last question, last fall I tried using window screen around the bottom of trees to protect against mice and rabbits as suggested. Should I have tried to bury the bottom of the screen a few inches? The advice I've gotten on the tubes was to go about 2 inches into the ground. I didn't think of it at the time, I guess I haven't used the tubes enough for it to be automatic.

Oaks/apples

dbltree: couple questions
t then next spring).

2) I've typcially planted Oak in the late April early May period, I know you mentioned that you'll plant some of your seedlings throughout the summer as time permits. Could I plant Oak or Apple trees as late as the end of September (wondering if you've tried it that late)?

I am sure dbltree can answer this, but I do a lot of fall planting of trees, I actually prefer to plant trees in the fall here in MN. Reasons, survival is usually high, fall rains are almost a guarantee, cool nights help get the tree started, limited browse, no weed growth.

Containerized seedlings (plugs) work very well planted in the fall. I am guessing I have 90% survival on oak plugs in the fall, apple is 75% or better, but must be protected by a cage/tube/mesh etc...

Fall is the IDEAL time to plant for my area (MO/IA border). The next best time is as soon as the ground thaws in the spring. Planting in fall helps the tree get established before the summer stress period. If it gets hot and dry out in July, and you planted in April/May, that seedling would not fair nearly as well as a seedling planted in late October/Early November. :way:

Thanks for the feedback Hardwood11 & letemgrow, every little bit helps. Last couple years have been pretty hetic, making up for many years of neglect. A while back I had a pretty good apple grove going and had some body come on the property and dig them up, so kinda got discouraged for a while. But when you have that planting bug in you it's just a matter of time to get it going again.

fertilize appler trees

When is the best time to fertilize apple trees?? And what kind of fertilizer would you spread under the tree?(triple 13?) Is this an effective method in helping the tree produce more apples?

Spring or fall is good time to fert, root systems gorw in the fall, even when the tree seems to be going dormant. Roots grow until ground freezes. Next season's top tree growth follows how much the roots grew, the previous late summer, early fall, season.

I like hitting them with 13-13-13 and doing about 1 lbs for each inch of tree diameter. Now is a good time to fertilize. I get that fertilizer down in the soil too. ALSO- don't be afraid to put some pell-lime on it too if you have acidic soils.

I like hitting them with 13-13-13 and doing about 1 lbs for each inch of tree diameter. Now is a good time to fertilize. I get that fertilizer down in the soil too. ALSO- don't be afraid to put some pell-lime on it too if you have acidic soils.

I like to use a dibble bar for getting the fertilizer in the ground. Some of mine is fairly sloped so I put the fertilzer in around the drip line on the uphill side.

Dang it! Got a bad addiction and don't know if I can ever break free of it...fruit trees! :eek: :D

Every year it seems the order get's a little bigger and this year they arrived from Century Farms Orchards so I started a new orchard adjacent to my centrally located food plot area and got busy digging in this ole SE Iowa clay.

CIMG2553.jpg

This area is well drained but very poor subsoil clay

CIMG2554.jpg

I kept the tree roots well protected and wrapped up tight in a bag with some moist soil

CIMG2556.jpg

and got the holes all dug and top soil opened and at the ready by each hole

CIMG2555.jpg

The root systems varied in size and this hole could have been a tad bigger

CIMG2557.jpg

While others were just right

CIMG2559.jpg

I poured a bag of top soil around each tree

CIMG2558.jpg

and quickly moved down the line keeping root exposure to drying winds at a minimum

CIMG2560.jpg

Then I went back down the line straightening each tree and firmly tamping the soil around each one

CIMG2562.jpg

CIMG2564.jpg

CIMG2561.jpg

Then I cut 12" strips of 24" window screen and stapled them around the tree as a rodent and moth protector

CIMG2566.jpg

Easy to do with a common stapler

CIMG2565.jpg

then I sealed the top soil and bottom of the screen with clay

CIMG2566.jpg

and stapled the name tags to the screen

CIMG2563.jpg

and then took a moment to survey my work and imagine whitetails lapping up apples here some day in the future :)

CIMG2567.jpg

I still have to stake and fence these and take it from me...don't put it off! probably lot's of great ways to get an orchard established but this method has worked well for me

IMG_0045.jpg

Fruit trees tend to be a little pricey so I got some of my crazy addicted (to habitat) friends together and we have about 200 trees already on order with Adams County Nursery for $8-10 a piece for 2012...guess I better sharpen that shovel.... ;)

July 27th, 2011

The Kazak apples started from seed last year in Rootmaker cells are doing well in the Root Trapper bags and I hope to get them planted this fall.

KazakApple.jpg

Grown from seed, each is a little different from the other

Kazak1.jpg

Interesting that there are 300 year old trees in Kazakstan

Plant Collection Expedition to Kazakstan

Hopefully we can keep these trees alive and spread the genetics around since they are so disease free... :way:

Top Bottom