Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AZ Draw Results

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
For those of you who applied for either elk or pronghorn hunts in Arizona, the draw started Friday. A buddy in the Game Branch at AGFD texted me Friday morning to let me know. Folks down here have been extremely irritated that its taken so long to get the draw done, so we found it extremely funny that the draw started on April 1. And, yes, several locals immediately cried foul when people started posting up about their credit cards being charged. If you applied by credit card, start checking your online statements or calling you card company to see if it was charged. Good luck to you all.

On that note, I get to chase elk again this fall. We found out Friday morning that our credit card has been charged for an elk tag. My favorite part about that news was sending a text to Sydney at school saying "You're going elk hunting! The draw is happening right now and you were drawn!" Based on the amount charged (single tag; I put in with a buddy, so it would have been two tag price), I know it was Syd. We don't what unit or when yet, but we should find that out in a couple of weeks. Fingers are crossed for her first choice, but we're just happy to go chase elk again. Syd's made it clear the lengths she's willing to go to and how hard she's willing to work to get that elk tag filled. Training starts now! Scouting starts as soon as we know what unit!

Sounds like a great family time coming up, enjoy!! Oh...and don't forget to post the story here too!

Are archery cow elk tags a tough draw as well??

I have family in AZ and wouldn't mind applying just for the meat!!

Are archery cow elk tags a tough draw as well??

I have family in AZ and wouldn't mind applying just for the meat!!

They are, but I know some units that are easier to draw than others. I also know some cow hunts that are actually underdrawn and have leftover tags every year. Sydney's 4th and 5th choices are those hunts. I'm going to look into a leftover tag when they are announced, especially if it means I can actually hunt with Syd (she gets first shot, though). If you are interested in one for this year, let me know. They are 15-20 minutes from my house, depending on what part of the unit you hunt. They are much harder hunts, though. Elk are pushed all over by that time of year and when those hunts start.

I just pulled up the results for Sydney's hunt. She has the 3rd Peaks hunt in Unit 7E. This the same unit she had two years ago, but three weeks later. The elk will be scattered and pressured higher up, but she's already said that she'll work harder to get one. She's been sick the last three days and will be missing the opening day of our youth turkey hunt this weekend, but should be able to get down for Saturday and Sunday hunting. Let the scouting begin!

Congrats. Is her tag cow only or any elk?

Life got away from me and I almost forgot about this. Turns out, I looked at the dates wrong. Syd has the 4th Peaks hunt in 7E, not the 3rd one. That is going to be even tougher. She didn't take the news well, but she's committed to the effort. Its a cow tag, too.

I was texting a buddy that knows the unit better than I do and he said our original plan, even from 2 years ago, should still be good and he's going to mark spots on a map for me. I'm feeling a little better about our chances. Syd has said she's committed to staying out all day and that's good, because we're going to be in some steep country, a mile or three from a road!

We're getting ready for our turkey hunt on the north rim next weekend (28 April-1 May) and her birthday is next Monday (25th), but she said something to me about starting a new journal for 2017/2018 hunts. I told her we'd talk about it, but she has to step up a little more!

Top Bottom