Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bag targets?

Daver

PMA Member
I got a new bag target last year and probably shot at it 20-30 times and do not recall ever having any difficulty withdrawing the arrows out of it. It is clear to me that it should only be used with field points.

Last night I was shooting at it and 2 of my 4 shots into it resulted in a near hernia getting the arrows back out of it. I thought for a moment that I had accidentally shot broadheads into it, as I could slide the arrow back out, but it would stick hard with about an inch of arrow still in. I literally had to cut the material, and not just the surface either, with a utility knife to free my arrows. Good grief!

So now I have two big slashes in my nearly new target and I am afraid to shoot it any more. I did just have regular field points on the arrows too. What gives? Has anyone else had this happen? Previously I had targets that were multiple layers of 1/4" closed cell foam, compressed together. I never had any such issues with that style of target.

Bag targets suck sometimes. Do your field tips stick out wider than the arrow shaft at all? Even if just a little bit that can often times prevent them from pulling out easy.

Are you getting any residue on your arrows? I have seen plastic filled bag targets do exactly what you are describing. I think its related to friction/heat on impact.
I'm sure they aren't, but your filed points aren't slightly larger than the shaft or insert are they? Just asking.

Are you getting any residue on your arrows? I have seen plastic filled bag targets do exactly what you are describing. I think its related to friction/heat on impact.
I'm sure they aren't, but your filed points aren't slightly larger than the shaft or insert are they? Just asking.

I'll double check, but I don't remember any residue on the arrows. I'll also double check the diameter on the field points, but I think they are the same size as the arrow shaft/insert too.

I've shot lots of bag targets and never had an issue. The field tips on my current arrow set up are slightly wider than the arrow shaft, so they will get caught on the bag material on occasion. I just kind of move them side to side a bit while pulling and it pops right out. Nothing near the extent of what you are talking about.

I had the same problem when I switched field tips. I had to make sure the diameter was the same or they caught every time.

Mine catch too. Twist clockwise when removing helps for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've had that happen from time to time. Like the stuffing has wrapped around the shaft tight. As someone else mentioned twisting clock wise can help. I still prefer them to a block unless shooting broad heads.

If you have some arrows strictly for target practice, try wiping the last foot or so of the arrow down with WD40. It really helps with removing them from pretty much any type of target.

NWBuck

I made my own target. Took a box and filled it with many layers of cardboard of all types. A couple pieces of carpet in the back. I shoot broadheads into it. When I remove the arrow. I simply pry the cardboard pieces apart where The broadhead is and twist the broadhead off the shaft. Then slip the shaft out. Works great for just target points. You may say thats too much trouble for broadheads but hey, it cost me nothing and it works. When cardboard gets shreaded just add more.

FWIW, sure enough...one of my field points was slightly larger in diameter than the shaft. I would have never thought that little extra ridge would hold those arrows in the target like that.

FWIW, sure enough...one of my field points was slightly larger in diameter than the shaft. I would have never thought that little extra ridge would hold those arrows in the target like that.
That will do it. It is amazing how tough the exterior of those bags are and any little edge makes it very tough to pull them out.

Top Bottom