Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bearded hens?

SeIowa69

just wondering how many of u guys/gals have seen bearded hens while out hunting in the spring or fall?

how many have you shot?

how long was the beard?

fall 2012
me n a buddy were hunting ducks he had to leave early, on his way to truck seen a handfull of turkeys knowing i had a fall tag called me up and said theres a handfull of turks down the levy a few were even bearded!! so i was instantly jacked cuz we havent seen a single duck all morning, i snuck down to were he said they were at nothing. I fig they must of moved back to the river bottem, i just made a small circle back to were my decoys were set up in the water fig anything worth a shot right. I get 75 or so yards from the deks n happen to catch movement on levy there they were all 8 of them 20 yards behind were i was set up to duck hunt. I slowly snuck up to the levy, got to the levy belly crawed to try in get closer to them (in my head am thinkin no way this is gona happen i got 16 eyes n ears watching my every move) i creep to with probleley 40- 45 yards as there just moseing along feedin and what not, i slowly popped my head up over the levy to see how much father i had to go, they were all gone am thinking SOB they heard me. i finished belly crawlin to river side of levy n there they were. I instantly pick one out in the crowd. It swung around n all i seen was a nice size beard SWEET!! i hoped up n let that 2 3/4inch steel 4 shot fly!!! it hit ground n didnt move one bit!! Instantly hoot n hollerd i couldnt believe it just snuck up on a 8 different turkeys n shot a nice gobbler i thought!

Turns out it was a hen with a 9 inch beard not bad 4 my first fall turkey!!
was only my 4th turkey ever(longer beard then my previous spring jake n two gobblers lol) i still kick myself to this day 4 not full body mounting her probleley never have that chance again

I have seen 2 over the years, but neither had a beard that long...probably more like 5 inches tops. One walked by at close range when I had a bow tag, and I passed. Still think that was a mistake...

NWBuck

A guy I know anchored one with an 8.5" beard a couple of weeks ago. She weighed 15 lbs. He had been chasing her for 4 years and finally got a crack at her. Cool bird.

I've got an old lady on one of my farms I've been watching for 3 yrs. She's definitely a strange creature as she's usually always by herself and never seems interested in any male bird jake or tom. When I first saw her, it was back in 2012 and her beard was just over 4 inches. Last yr she showed back up in the fall and she had poults with her in the fall. This yr her beard is well over 10inches. I honestly don't ever plan to shoot one. The beards cool to me and it's awesome how consistent she has been on this farm. On top of it she is able to be bred and have babies. No brainier for me on not shooting her. No fan, no spurs, no putting on a show prior to me shooting her, combination of those things doesn't make me even wanna pick my gun up but rather just watch and enjoy the siting.

I shot a bearded hen this year in KS. I had never shot one and really didnt ever have any interest in shooting one. But this gal had a 9" beard and i decided it would be a nice trophy with my bow!

here my 2012 fall hen, had to get on a computer idk how to add photos on my iphone yet.

forum

picture.php

picture.php

forum

forum

forum

Last edited:
I shot one years ago and it had a pretty long beard, probably about 9" or so. Since then, I have seen at least three bearded hens and one I watched 2 or 3 times per year for probably 3 or 4 years. I was quite certain that I was seeing the same bird in that area over a period of several years.

Top Bottom