Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best camera for the money?

What camera is best for the money?

• Scoutgard

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • Cudde

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Leaf river

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jhertel

PMA Member
What camera do you think is best for the money? I am looking at either a scoutguard, cudde, or leaf river. What are some of your opinions?

A lot of variables here, but here's my take.
I've never had or used the Scoutguard but from everything I've heard I would like to have one. Small and does a good job.
Cuddes, We sell these at work and this recent generation has it's share of problems.
Leaf River, we also sell this brand. Great battery life, possibly the best out there, and the newest generation of cameras has much better trigger speed than previous models.

The scoutguard sounds like the way to go from what i hear, but i have nothing but good things to say about my moultree i40

If Scoutguard doesn't win, it's because those who voted otherwise haven't had one in their hand yet.

Cuddies are yesterday's news. Used to have the market cornered but didn't listen to their customers. They're paying the ultimate price for that mistake and are next to obsolete at this point.

LR makes ok cams by two years ago standards, much like Moultrie. But Scoutguard came along and FINALLY borrowed homebrewesque ideas to make the world's first affordable production cam that mimics the benefits of a homebrew. Classic example of a company finally listening to the guys out in the trenches and building what they ask for.

For the money, I think the DLC Covert (SG guts) is the best cam on the market today.

If Scoutguard doesn't win, it's because those who voted otherwise haven't had one in their hand yet.

For the money, I think the DLC Covert (SG guts) is the best cam on the market today.

Owning a SG550 and a DLC Covert II, it'll be a tough decision between SG and DLC when I purchase my next camera. It WILL be one of those two.

Did I mention my SG has been in the field since Jan 5 on one set of batteries, taking thousands of pics, even spent a little over a week on video mode? :grin: I'll let you know when the batteries finally die.

Does scoutguard build any cams that are not IR?
Not to my knowledge. Yeah, B/W night pics are not my first choice. I keep telling myself that the lack of white light flash hides the camera better from thieves, something you probably don't have to worry about as much.

I am going to give the DLC COVERT II a try here in the next week or so. If they are good, I may pick up quite a few of them for the season.

For the experienced tech guys..... is this a well built camera that is going to last too in your opinion vs other cameras? I'm tired of buying cameras that work good for a year and then not so well years following.

Savey...that is my whole reason for buying the camera, to see if it will be sturdy enough. Electronics can go bad, there are always issues at times but I have not seen many cams smeared on forums since the cuddeback no flash and blurry night pictures

I purchased a scout guard last fall. I am very happy with it, good pics. Currently have it in the woods, been there over 2 months and the batteries still going. Some other units battery life is less than 2 wks with D cells. This gets expensive......

We sell the Scout Guards too. All dealers have to sell for the same price. Give me a call and I can answer any questions you have 920-627-0486 or check out our website.

I don't recommend these cameras because I sell them, I sell them because they are the best cameras out there as far as I've seen. Thanks

Based on my weekend trial with the camera DLC Covert II/Scoutguard guts, it is top notch. Fast pictures/videos, easy to operate. IR shines out well for trails and mineral licks, good picture/video quality and very compact.

Top Bottom