Best jerky brands & best ways to make deer jerky?

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Sligh1, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

hey guys- timber work season and I’m always buying jerky. Which is fine. What’s best brands of jerky or who makes great stuff?
    Then- for last deer of year- what y’all think is best way to make deer jerky? Sometimes it’s too dry or chalky. Want to get a killer way to make it and open to ideas. :). Any methods that make killer jerky- love to hear it. Thx!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

I like the Hi Mountain jerky seasoning. Cracked pepper and garlic is my favorite. Follow directions and sliced 3/16" seems the best if you have a slicer. Most of the cutting boards are 1/4 or 3/8". Next day you can either dry it in the oven on toothpicks or put in a smoker. You can either use a temp probe or keep checking the jerky and when you can bend it a see a crack pull it off. Teriyaki ain't to bad and all of it so far isn't dry. More like Jack Links. Also when slicing it helps to be half frozen.

4. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Smoker all the way as far as method. I also like the high mountain cure/seasoning. Sweet & spicy and cracked pepper and garlic my favorite.
    I've done some in a dehydrator & the oven in the past, but prefer the smoker.

5. tigejones

tigejones BugEater

I also use Hi Mountain, but then use a dehydrator instead of the oven/smoker.

6. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Another vote for Hi Mtn. I’ve dried in smoker and oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 PMA Member

I've used High Mountain, and it's good. I've bought some from Todd's LTD(in Des Moines) that was good. I've bought from Frisco Spices and theirs were good.
    I use sliced, not ground to make mine. Approx 3/16" - 1/4" with the electric slicer. I freeze the roasts into jerky over night, then let them thaw in the fridge for roughly 12 hours. That gives me about the right texture to slice with the slicer.
    I like to slice with the grain, as my family likes the jerky to have s texture to it, not just fall apart.
    Follow all cure instructions, stack it up and wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge for the appropriate amount of time.
    I cold smoke(No heat other than the heat to create the smoke(75watt element)) it in a Bradley smoker for a couple of hours, then put it into the dehydrator.
    I pull as it gets ready. small pieces first, then larger pieces as they are to the level of moisture that I want.
    The meat should just crack when bent. It's easy to go overboard on it and get it too dry.
    When I pull it I put it in a brown paper bag in the fridge until it's cool, then divide it up and put it in the freezer.

I can fit 7.5 lbs in the smoker at once and about 10 in the dehydrator. I like doing it in larger batches as the slicer is a pain to clean. If I can, I slice the roasts before packaging and freezing. Then when I'm ready to make it... I just pull the required roasts and get started on the rest of the process.

8. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

5 oz Liquid Smoke

15 oz Worchester Sauce

15 oz Teriyaki Sauce

15 oz Soy Sauce

2 tb Garlic Powder

3 tb Brown Sugar

2 tb Onion Powder

2 oz Molasses or Dark Corn Syrup (Honey for mine)

1 oz cayenne pepper (if you like it hot)

I let marinade over night or two days…and then dry after that… timing depends on meat/whole muscle/ground etc etc

I use whole muscle, slice it about 1/4" thick, maybe slightly thicker, and then dry it to my preference.. Generally 8 hours on my dehydrator and then the thiefs start coming around stealing all my jerky

9. sure shot

sure shot New Member

nesco seasoning done in the smoker is the best I've had

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. arm

arm Leg

I like to try at least 1 new marinade when I make up some batches, can find a zillion on the Google machine. I always have some soy or teriyaki based on hand because everyone likes that but my favorite is a Dr pepper jalapeno. Either way, sliced whole meat is much better than squirting it from a tube. I use a smoker or oven

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

Agreed on the Dr. Pepper Jalapeños jerky. Here’s a link

https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

12. tigejones

tigejones BugEater

Now I have to find some more deer to try that recipe.

13. crietveld

crietveld Active Member

I use Mortons tender quick for a cure and season with Montreal steak seasoning. Famous Daves barbeque sauce, Texas Pit flavor makes a good marinade too. I do whole muscle sliced with the grain and dehydrate.

14. LYON

LYON PMA Member

I've used hi mountain as well and it makes good jerky. I've also used LEM and it is very good as well and a lot easier than hi mountain. LEM mixes with water to make a brine, just add the sliced meat and let sit. Hi mountain requires you to lay all the sliced meat out and sprinkle seasoning all over it, flip and repeat. Not hard, but definitely more mess. I've always dehydrated mine with good results but I'm sure smoking would be better.

goatman likes this.
  15. Copenhagen Tob

Copenhagen Tob PMA Member

I think we need to have a jerky contest, who can get this going

Jmac0501 likes this.
  16. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 PMA Member

I get to be on the tasting panel!

17. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

I’m all in but..... I’m the testing judge :D send them my way

Copenhagen Tob likes this.
  18. Copenhagen Tob

Copenhagen Tob PMA Member

Get me your address

19. wapsi-bottom-BP

wapsi-bottom-BP Member

2.5 lbs in the oven right now! Usually use hi mountain, but tried something different this time, buddy used this recipe last week n it was GOOD! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. wapsi-bottom-BP

wapsi-bottom-BP Member

If I'm buying beef jerky it's from cattlemen's meat market in rock island n moline!!! By far the best jerky around.. I've had him make me some venison jerky before also!! They cut the peices into like 3/4" to 1" thick strips n it's done perfectly!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Circle B gas station in keosauqua sells a really good jerky in the refrigerator section also, dont remember the brand but it's pretty good!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  21. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Ha! Beat ya to it. I tried Copenhagen Tob's jerky tonight. Scrumpdillyicious. He also gave me some dried venison. I'll try that Sunday when I'm snowed in and watching footsyballs. I'll have to open a jar of my pickled okra to go with it.

Thanks again for the dime bag of jerky. I was jonesing bad for a jerky fix. I had it half gone by the time I hit Hwy 151, I'm saving the other half for when I start crashing from this jerky high. Then the addiction cycle starts all over again.