Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Time to Hunt?

A

Admin

Someone in the High Hope Forum asked about the best time to hunt relative to the timing of the rut and there vacation time.

I am not sure if this is a direct answer or not but I recieved a book from the state today. It contains information written by Willie Suchy, DNR. It compares 1996,1997, and 1998 timing of the deer kill during the 3 archery seasons. The graphic as well as the book is very interesting and it clearly shows that November 11-17 is the best time to harvest a buck in the state of Iowa.

Other interesting information on the graph shows activity ( kills by archers ) starts to pick up from October 21-27 and October 28 -3rd of November even more kills. Again it peaks November 11-17 and starts to fall back to 4-10th levels November 18-24th.Falls even more November 25-30 ( October pre-rut levels ) and of coarse December 1-5 falls to mid October levels.

So, interesting stuff, for me it re-confirms my favorite day to hunt November 13 for others maybe helps you pick your vacation days.

Just me,

tlhs.jpg

I always try to take off the 1st couple weeks in Nov., and I would have to say those dates are pretty close, for high activity.
Makes you wonder what impact, if any, the moon phase has during this period - or is it strictly a matter of photo period (daylight) that regulates peak activity?
Personally I feel moon phases can cause more mid-day movement, but the actual breeding dates are more likley due to photo period.
That would make the prime time to hunt more predictable, and coincide's with the peak dates you mentioned.

PLK

[This message has been edited by PLK (edited 09-28-2000).]

Have you see the October issue of Deer & Deer Hunting? It's a hoot how the experts (Alsheimer & Ozoga) are so far apart on the moon phase issue. I'm in the "amount of daylight" camp on this one. The rutting moon in 1999 was on Oct 24. This year it will be Nov 11. Almost three weeks later. Yet the stats TLH posted show the rut did'nt swing three weeks. Deer VooDoo for the most part!
I set a goal to be done bow hunting by 15 Nov. (I'm flexable on this ofcourse) I call the 5th thru 15th Nov my best chance to see cruiser's. Even with alot of big bucks moving in that period, don't overlook the first two weeks of season. That is when the bucks are most predictable. Last year I killed one (in photo gallery) on Oct 14th. But I'll either score on a nice one or be hunting the rut this year! It was a bummer gutting done that early.

I agree guys! However, I do think that over the years I've seen some significant variations in this timing in my area. Several years ago it seemed as though peak rutting activity occured earlier in November than it does now...say from the 1st through the 7th. However, the data presented above about peak harvest times since 1996 coicides with my observations and experience as well. Furthermore, I can recall when I was in college (more years ago than I care to recall) I couldn't wait for Thanksgiving break as deer were really rutting hard around that time.

I also agree that early season is the next best opportunity to arrow a big buck...provided you can win the mosquito battle. Two years ago my dad killed a monster 12-pointer on October 6. He shot this buck out of a group of 5 other bucks in a clover plot. The key is, hunt the summer food sources and stay away from their bedding areas for a few weeks. Again, just my opinions as well. Good hunting!

Here is a copy of that chart...

Again,a comparison of the timing of the deer kill during the past three seasons ( Source DNR ).

archerystats.jpg

Top Bottom