Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Iowa Buck down for Drury Outdoors/David Lindsey

ps...It's also my way of agreeing that most of us (yesss I am guilty at times), wishes we could write on our 10-40 tax form: Occupation: bow hunter (that means we have to keep our "jealousy factor" in check!) Let's just keep finding civil ways of working together!!!!

It is true...ask any game warden in southern Iowa.
And Scottonbuck you are wrong.Terry lives in Iowa and Mark had lived in Missouri until recently.
My original question was..
Mark Drury shot a deer in iowa? He DID NOT draw a tag.You can look that up on the Iowa DNR site.

I dont believe I am wrong. In fact I know I am right on this one. Terry has never lived in Iowa or claimed residency in Iowa, Mark has and still does look on their website, it list his home town as Osceola Iowa,

I'll add my two sense to the fire as well...............

I think it's ridiculous and take great offense to the fact that if I was to shoot a great deer that I would feel obligated to not tell a sole on the mere facts of guys saying that it was poached, i trespassed to shoot it, i spotlighted that deer, it was shot with a rifle, it was baited in, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Hunting over the past 5 years has gotten so commercialized with guys flat out WATCHING TO MANY HUNTING DVD's. I think its mostly our state as well. I had a college room mate who was from Kansas, he like me was also a big deer hunter. 2 years ago he shot 160 inch 8pt that was an world class 8pt. Everyone knew about that 8pt since Jake's property was close to town. He shot it with his bow LEGALLY 100 percent, he takes the deer into town to the local locker as many guys in his town do to sort of "brag" about their trophies. Everyone from his small town showed up and look at deer and congratulate other hunters per say. Couple other hunters who had been after that 8pt heard the news and came over to look at the buck. I was shocked when they guys came over and were about as excited as Jake was about the deer. NOT ONE TIME did anyone assume or jump to conclusions that he illegally harvested that deer or that "jake shot THEIR DEER". That was hands down one of the coolest things I'd been apart of. Nothing like guys all involved in the sport after the same goal (NOT TO SHOOT THE BIGGEST BUCK, BUT TO HUNT AND HAVE FUN). Now back to Iowa, you have guys who shoot absolute monsters year after year and they don't tell a sole. You have guys on this site who probably shack a giant and they don't post harvest photos because their afraid instead of guys congratulating them, they will assume it was shot in southern Iowa on some other guys property.

That was just my ramble for the day, but it erks me when guys get online and post things only to try and ruin the reputation of fellow outdoors men. The Drury Boys, yeah they're the real deal, the smack big deer every year. WHY? because they are awesome hunters and even better guys. They do things right or else they wouldn't still be around. They have been around a very long time in the hunting industry and I think they are probably one of the most down to earth people I have ever met.

hahahahaha, archery95, before you go making accusations, you NEED to get your facts straight.... Ask a game warden? why? its just not the case, these guys have not broken the law, why would they put all they have worked for, including their good name, in jeopardy??? Just sounds like jealousy and an opportunity to sling some mud for no other reason than to make someone else look bad... I know some guys don't care for them or what they do, but keep it to yourself if that is the case. I, for one, see no need to drag them through the mud, especially when your info is based on a hunch or second, third, fourth hand info....

AND, it is Mark that has a home in Iowa, not Terry, he lives in MO....

Seriously dude....

As far as the Gov. tags are concerned, does it really affect anyone on here personally?? If so, please provide ample detail as to how...... The number of tags is minimal and has NO impact on the herd.... lots of states/provinces have the same thing offered. whats it hurt??

Sorry, but I don't feel like those things hinder Iowa's whitetail production. If FOI somehow benefits from that, then I might revisit my opinion, but other than that.... not worth getting heartburn over....

:way:

That was just my ramble for the day, but it erks me when guys get online and post things only to try and ruin the reputation of fellow outdoors men. The Drury Boys, yeah they're the real deal, the smack big deer every year. WHY? because they are awesome hunters and even better guys. They do things right or else they wouldn't still be around. They have been around a very long time in the hunting industry and I think they are probably one of the most down to earth people I have ever met.

Well said.....

I always wondered how he was able to get tags here every year myself and have also heard that there were a few changes on the way for Mark and his ability to get tags on a regular basis here, but I never thought about the tax revenue he would generate for our state who right now could use all the help it could receive maybe we should ask them to move their headquarters up here also sorry but I am always looking for that next dollar. I also think that they are the best in the business I think that they are very sharp guys in both the hunting and business end of things

Last edited:
As far as the Gov. tags are concerned, does it really affect anyone on here personally?? If so, please provide ample detail as to how...... The number of tags is minimal and has NO impact on the herd.... lots of states/provinces have the same thing offered. whats it hurt??

Sorry, but I don't feel like those things hinder Iowa's whitetail production. If FOI somehow benefits from that, then I might revisit my opinion, but other than that.... not worth getting heartburn over....

:way:

I just see it as just another way that the all mighty dollar is affecting the hunting industry. Lets say after the normal NR drawing results come out every year a certain # of NRs were allowed to apply for a Govenors tag - (anyone who is a NR, celebs included) and everyone had a fair shot at receiving this tag then fine, but to give those tags to people year after year with the means to hunt anywhere they want just proves that $$ talks IMO, and $$ IS affecting the heritage of Iowa hunting and the sport nationwide.

Just my .02 I guess.

Now go put a dang fish in the Frabil. :D

Last edited:
The only person associated with the drury's that has been ticketed is Jared Lurk. He fully admitted on what he did (although, he honestly didn't know he was breaking the law) and paid his fine and moved on.

As far as Mark and Terry, they have way to much to lose, and can recieve a governors tag each year, so why would they put themselves in jeporday which would cost them big time?

This thread could have ended about 2 pages ago. All that needs to be said is, congrats on a great deer. I'm always amazed at how jealous grown men can be when it comes to deer hunting.

In all honesty he owns the chunk of ground and he should get a tag for it even if he lives in Missouri. I know that is not how the law is but thats the way it should be. If you work hard and save up your money and buy a piece of land in Iowa you should be able to hunt it. That is my opinion and how i think the law should be.

In all honesty he owns the chunk of ground and he should get a tag for it even if he lives in Missouri. I know that is not how the law is but thats the way it should be. If you work hard and save up your money and buy a piece of land in Iowa you should be able to hunt it. That is my opinion and how i think the law should be.

All opinions differ I guess :D

If everyone that owned land in IA, could get a tag every year regardless if they are a resident, then the resident hunters would have fewer and fewer places to go with the limited habitat that is available. Many are waiting and hoping for IA to do just that and I can't blame the state one bit for having it the way they do.

If they did that, you can guarantee I would be selling my MO farm and buying something 2 miles across the line from where my farm sits now and taking a spot residents are hunting. :way:

What happened to land owner tags. They own the land means they should be in titled for a "land owner" tag right???

Yes Mark gets landowner tags because he lives in Iowa. Terry usually draws or gets a governor tag. I'm sure Mark spends more than 90 days here before season and lists that Iowa is his home state while his family may still live in Missouri. Then he would be legal right? He's a smart man I highly doubt he's doing anything illegal.

Last edited:
I agree if the person owns the land and pays the land taxes in the state of Iowa they should be able to get a deer tag for their land. But only a land owners tag. They could then still put in for a draw to get an additional tag, but I think if you own the land you should be able to hunt it.

The DNR would never give non-residents a landowner tag.Why would they even try to draw a $500 tag if they got one for free.You would have hundreds of non-residents buying 40 acres and getting a free tags...where would the DNR benefit from that?
If you don't live here,don't support the community,the school taxes,are able to vote in Iowa you shouldn't get the things residents do.

The DNR would never give non-residents a landowner tag.Why would they even try to draw a $500 tag if they got one for free.You would have hundreds of non-residents buying 40 acres and getting a free tags...where would the DNR benefit from that?
If you don't live here,don't support the community,the school taxes,are able to vote in Iowa you shouldn't get the things residents do.

Couldn't agree more with this statement, well said.

no comment.

I remember Terry saying that in one of their videos when a fella was hunting close to their property line. :D I love watching their videos, though I have to admit, I feel a little guilty doing so with the commercialization problem these days...

Top Bottom