Big One Down-Poached

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by KSHUNTER, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Kaleb

Kaleb Active Member

I love the internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

I’ve “confronted people” & “been confronted”.
    Vehicles being suspcious... we know it when we see it.... I’ll say anything from “need any help, blah blah blah” to “what u up to?” If they are acting “really bad”. I’m not a jerk- just firm or clear.

I got confronted about 6 months ago while driving with another member on here. Noon & I was driving around block that had a farm for sale with 2 big “for sale signs” & ability to inspect them. I did buy the farm BTW. Guy pulls up to us... “what the F r u doing?!? U creeping around. We don’t like people creeping around here. U understand?!!???!!!??” Guy was a total jack-a$$. I said “ya buddy, I’m buying this farm & do u see the for sale sign?” He didn’t acknowledge & kept giving me crap. I finally caught myself “SELF, cut this conversation off before u lose ur cool”...... I said”gonna buy this farm, nice u watch over the area & bye”. Just left. Bought it the next day and still haven’t ran into that nut job since.

This whole issue is common sense & general people skills. We know there are shady folks & when u see them, handle appropriately & cautiously BUT there’s no way most folks on here are gonna stand by & do nothing. Not happening.
    Again, wish dnr could pass laws for massive revenue & fines to completely self fund a robo buck program. OR.... pass a law that I can put out a robo buck or decoy & use my AR to fire back at the vehicle! ;).

4. isu22andy

isu22andy Active Member

You sound like the tactical comando I see at walmart who open carrys the glock on his leg holster . Ive taken a few chewings and confrontations and never once felt threatened enough to think about a gun lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2018
    Huff722 likes this.
  5. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter PMA Member

Holy thread explosion! This is almost as bad as a nest predator thread or cwd thread on MWT forum LOL

Daver likes this.
  6. Elvis188

Elvis188 PMA Member

No deer is worth dying for. PERIOD. People are so ate up with protecting their territory that it takes all of the fun out of deer hunting. When your more worried about what everybody else might be doing it is hard to enjoy.

People are so ate up with killing a big deer and jealous of anybody else that does. That's why anybody who kills a big buck must have poached it. People just need to be happy when a big one goes down legally.

My best friend quit hunting deer 30 years ago in Kansas because he said it is the only thing he has seen when best friends become enemies for a few weeks a year. Life is too short. There will always be the dirtbag poachers out there but don't let your conspiracy theories ruin this sport you love so much. The good news for the original poster is that the deer poached was not on his ground or one he was hunting.

If everybody has time to play CO or Sherriff they'll never have fun or success. Ask yourself why did I start to hunt deer in the first place and I bet you'll remember it wasn't to just kill a wallhanger. Stop being so ate up and have fun!!

SeIowa69 and Obsessed like this.
  7. Buckdown89

Buckdown89 Member

You’re the reason I don’t agree with the whole permit to carry...you’re putting yourself in the situation due to the fact that you’re strapped with a pistol at your side for your “protection.” Posting this crap in a whitetail forum bout shooting someone for pulling in front of you... sounds like you need checked for anger management prior to getting a permit and exercising your right to carry.

Huff722, bigbuckhunter88 and arm like this.
  8. FFDewey

FFDewey Member

So do you gun down the Walmart Receipt checker for getting in front of you? I mean that could get a little scary.

arm and Buckdown89 like this.
  9. muddy

muddy Administrator

Get back on track guys

MadisonB&C, Daver and 203ntyp like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

I guess that I'm surprised, but not so surprised by all of the attacks on my comments. Sign of the times... I'll keep doing my thing. You all keep doing yours.

The point that I was trying to make, obviously in complete vain, is that if you take it upon yourself to confront 'suspicious' vehicles driving around in your neck of the woods, you may be putting yourself in danger. Because that person may or may not be doing anything wrong, and they may or may not take your actions as a physical threat.

This is coming from fellow long time outdoorsman and hunter.

Take it for what it's worth. Reiterating Elvis; no deer is worth dying over.

11. Kaleb

Kaleb Active Member

I get it man and you’re correct... if a stranger corralled me on the road I would get quite leery. I don’t think I would feel like my life is being threatened, but I would probably have a heightened sense of alertness. You just seemed a little antsy about toting a CC weapon in your posting. I also realize a lot of communication is lost via the inter webs. I would not recommend immediately shooting someone that happens to stop you on the road... even if they ask you “what the F are you doing here?” You would surely not have justification for lethal force in the eyes of a judge/jury.

Also, I have no problem with CC and defending oneself. I too have a CC permit and will defend myself if need be

Obsessed likes this.
  12. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

Whoa! I’m bowing out of this one. Haha. Good luck hunting out there fellas!

13. fatboy

fatboy Well-Known Member

Just keeping honest people honest. Believe I know, I'm from Polk county
    Just keeping honest people honest. To bad it has come to this, but I understand. On the other hand, had a friend kill a monster this past week. They were pheasant hunting and jumped a monster that they have seen the last couple years. He was injured and not moving very well. They asked the land owner if they could go back home and grab their bows to see if they could put him down? They got the ok and started to track him and was able to put him down. He posted his luck on Facebook and within an hour he had a call from the DNR about a buck that was poached. the DNR officer said his phone blew up along with the officers phone in the next county and the tip line. The DNR officer knows my friend well and said I need to check it out. He scanned the deer and checked it for being killed with a firearm, they went to the field where it was killed and also spoke with the land owner. He was cleared for any wrong doing, but was told by the officer he should have contacted them after he killed the buck. Its not how he wanted to kill him, but he was going to die of his injuries in a day or two and may not have been found till shed season?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

muddy and bwese like this.
  15. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

This forum gives us the luxury of deleting our posts........ there are several that could be deleted now and its time to let it go:confused:!!

Daver, breckhawk, isu22andy and 4 others like this.
  16. scottonbuck

scottonbuck Active Member

not really, but if i did feel threatened i would use my trucks feature called reverse long before i thought about pulling a gun.

Huff722 and Rjack like this.
  17. isu22andy

isu22andy Active Member

Where do I sign the waiver ?

[​IMG]

Huff722 likes this.
  18. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

That sucks, hope they bust them.
    Why didn't he start looking for the gun right away instead of waiting for morning? I'm sure it wasn't far.

19. 150 Class

150 Class Moderator

It is a shame this thread took a left turn, but, block me in the middle of the road? You can count on my defense mode being the first thing that is going to happen.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. seven twenty

seven twenty PMA Member

Why should he have contacted them. Other than calling in his harvest, there's no reason to. Did he state in his facebook post that they were bird hunting? If so, that would be the reason for all the calls.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  21. KSHUNTER

KSHUNTER PMA Member

He said that they searched the area around the truck and the guy consented to his truck being searched of course no gun to be found in there. The deer was in a field next to lots of timber, I'm not sure of the timeline as to how much time they had to hide the gun, wish they would have brought a K9 in or something. I agree though, the gun couldn't have been far, landowner said they were down there questioning them for over 2 hours and the cops gave one of them a field sobriety check.

One another note I went to the locker and looked at the rack last night. Game warden happened to stop by and I talked to him a little, he didn't say a whole bunch but indicated that it would be hard to get the poaching charges to stick. He said with no gun, them not admitting anything, no one actually seeing them shoot, and not having the deer loaded on the truck didn't give them much to pin the charges on them. Said that it wasn't their first rodeo and they knew what to say and how to play the game. After talking to him I don't have much confidence that they will get anything other than a trespass ticket.

Deer grossed just under 170".