Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big One Down-Poached

It is a shame this thread took a left turn, but, block me in the middle of the road? You can count on my defense mode being the first thing that is going to happen.
I agree and I still haven't read where anyone who posted actually shot anyone? Never hurts to be prepared and face it, times have changed and it's not like it was years ago when you pissed someone off and the worst you got was a black eye or bloody nose. I enjoy driving the country roads this time of year looking at deer and yes sometimes will pull to the side and glass a nice buck if I see one. Yes I've been stopped a few times and for the most part it's been very friendly BS session, but have been on the other side of complete Ahole who thinks they own the public county road I'm on and proceeded to tell me that! I had one truck pin me in from the front and at the same time his brother pinned me in from the back. Yes I have a weapons permit, yes I was carrying, and yes I was glad I was for the first couple minutes. They saw my firefighter plates and I had my radio on in the truck and they heard some traffic from the com center. I told them what I was dong and if they disagreed, with the mic in my hand, I can dispatch an officer to this location if you'd like to continue the conversation? That ended that with some name calling referencing my mother, gravel flying and they left.

There are more productive ways to post on the forum. Everyone has made their points and several people aren't letting it go and they need to.

Move on PLEASE.

There are more productive ways to post on the forum. Everyone has made their points and several people aren't letting it go and they need to.

Move on PLEASE.

You got it muddy. The following are great ideas for better addressing poaching. The use of robo-bucks by LEO's. People taking and providing pictures to LEO's, (vehicles, people, license plates, etc.). Using the TIP hotline. Generally being more aware of what's going on in your area and taking pics and calling the TIP hotline if/when suspicious activity is observed. Getting to know your neighbors and staying in regular contact with them. Attempt to actively engage in friendly, non-confrontational conversation with new people you encounter within your area.

Why should he have contacted them. Other than calling in his harvest, there's no reason to. Did he state in his facebook post that they were bird hunting? If so, that would be the reason for all the calls.

Yes, I think he did post on Facebook they were bird hunting when they bumped this buck. One reason I don't have Facebook, but when a buck of this caliber gets killed and I'm sure the other guys hunting this buck where upset and called it in as being poached. This is a once in a lifetime of seeing a buck like this alive, but even greater putting it on the ground.

Yes, I think he did post on Facebook they were bird hunting when they bumped this buck. One reason I don't have Facebook, but when a buck of this caliber gets killed and I'm sure the other guys hunting this buck where upset and called it in as being poached. This is a once in a lifetime of seeing a buck like this alive, but even greater putting it on the ground.
Pics? Or it didn’t happen!:cool:

I'm with you on face book and others getting made when their buck gets killed by someone else.

• Deleted by Rjack
Show…
Yes sorry a different buck, it's not my buck so not going to share the picture on a public forum and I dont have Facebook anyway to pull the picture from. I dont know if he will take it to the Deer Classic this year? If you know the Warren County DNR officer, he was the one to check it out.

This conversation, particularly my participation in it, has weighed heavily on me most of yesterday and this AM. With today being Thanksgiving, I am thankful for this group and all of its members and recognize that we all have different opinions. I agree that poaching sucks and should be addressed better, if and when possible. I advocate direct confrontation only in emergency situations or actually catching someone in the process of performing a criminal act, but I stress taking extreme caution when doing so. I've personally been on the receiving end of harassment while out scouting and hunting in rural Iowa, and haven't enjoyed it. I've even felt a bit threatened and gone on the defensive because of it. I'm going to take Ishi's advice now and go delete some of my previous comments. Sorry for taking this one off topic guys.

This conversation, particularly my participation in it, has weighed heavily on me most of yesterday and this AM. With today being Thanksgiving, I am thankful for this group and all of its members and recognize that we all have different opinions. I agree that poaching sucks and should be addressed better, if and when possible. I advocate direct confrontation only in emergency situations or actually catching someone in the process of performing a criminal act, but I stress taking extreme caution when doing so. I've personally been on the receiving end of harassment while out scouting and hunting in rural Iowa, and haven't enjoyed it. I've even felt a bit threatened and gone on the defensive because of it. I'm going to take Ishi's advice now and go delete some of my previous comments. Sorry for taking this one off topic guys.
Well done, sir. Happy Holidays.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom