Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big turnip contest

Fishbonker

Life Member
Didn't want my monster to get lost in the brassicas thread.

Vitals: Weight without greens, 1 pound tweleve ounces, circumference 16.5 inches.

As it lay:

big_turnip_001.jpg

Tape:

big_turnip_013.jpg

I used a piece of string to measure the circumference.

Scale:

big_turnip_017.jpg

Metric on top in black numbers, pounds on the bottom in white numbers.

Winner gets bragging rights for growing the biggest turnip and all the adulation that goes along with it.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Winner gets bragging rights for growing the biggest turnip and all the adulation that goes along with it.
</div></div>

and that is a prize in and of itself! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Is that a Purple Top Bonker??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is that a Purple Top Bonker?? </div></div>

Yup. My wife and I don't have to worry about going hungry this winter. Must be a zillion different ways to cook venison and turnips.

The 'Bonker

Well, I'll submit the monster. Between not getting any chances at any mature bucks and only shooting does, this big ol' turnip puts a smile on my face. Unfortunately the deer aren't touching them, so I don't feel guilty picking these. I had 3 contestants which I identified to be big ones. Here they are fresh out of the ground...

Turnip_Contest_001.jpg

...and here's the mega. Weighed in at a little of 2 1/2 lbs.

Turnip_Contest_003.jpg

My wife was also impressed by it and wanted a picture with it and the new addition to the family.

Turnip_Contest_005.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weighed in at a little of 2 1/2 lbs. </div></div>

Wow! I'm impressed! Looks like the one to beat! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Yet again, a contest I can not win.

Wait till next year. Water nitrogen and sun. It is gonna be HUGE!

The 'Bonker

Bonker,

Yours looks more "typical" if that is any consolation.......

Tough to get good help, ain't it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tough to get good help, ain't it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

YUP!

For those of you who don't get the joke about good help, JNRBRONC and Muddy helped me put in my turnips this year.

Next year I'm goin it alone. A big pot, miracle grow potting soil, about ten pounds of 43%N, a trickle waterer with miracle grow in it and grow lights at night. I'm getting tired of getting beat.

The 'Bonker

man those are some big turnips...
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

can a guy actually eat those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can a guy actually eat those? </div></div>

There's something you haven't eaten????? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting tired of getting beat.
</div></div>

Sounds like a challenge...Bonker's taking the gloves off...look out! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

P.S...try some 46% Bonks... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I actually think this would be an amusing contest to have. Maybe nanny can give up a nice Dekalb seed corn hat as a prize! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> try some 46% Bonks... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Maybe that's why I didn't win.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> try some 46% Bonks... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Maybe that's why I didn't win.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

and don't get em too thick, give them room to grow and plant them in a different spot maybe...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Brassicas are not adapted to wet, poorly drained sites and grow best on well drained soils that have a pH between 5.3-6.8 and medium levels of phosphorus and potassium.

Apply 50-75 lb/acre of nitrogen at time of seeding or within three days to hasten seedling emergence.

Brassicas should not be grown on the same site for more than two consecutive years to prevent buildup of stand-threatening diseases. </div></div>

Muddy's right...could be a fun contest /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

All I did with that big one was after I cultipacked the seed in (I overseeded a tad), I just spread some 13-13-13 on them (no idea how much, I think a lot), and the plot did well. I think it was luck more than anything.

yes, im fat and have not eaten everything in existance....
thanks Randy.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

but back to my question, who actually eats those things?
looks like a giant radish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

but back to my question, who actually eats those things?
looks like a giant radish </div></div>

My parents do. My mom peels them, dices and puts them in stew. I think she even fried them in a pan also. They say that they are really good but I haven't tried any yet. They are the only thing that has really hit my turnip plot so far. I don't think they have the bite that a radish has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but back to my question, who actually eats those things?
looks like a giant radish </div></div>

Ok, confession time.

My wife and I were in one of the "Wine of the Month" clubs and that got us to try turnips. How are turnips and wine connected? Each month they sent you two bottles of wine and a recipe to cook a meal. Supposedly the food cooked using the recipe complemented the variety of wine that was featured that month. Most of the recipes used some of the wine in them during the cooking. If my memory serves me, it was a white wine for the turnip recipe. It was a very good meal, either that or the wine was exceptional good. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Don't think I've had turnips since, though.

What a guy will do when he's in love, sheesh!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a guy will do when he's in love, sheesh! </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

It's been years since we've eaten any turnips but my neighbor picks some of mine for dinner every now and then.

If I recall they weren't bad tasting by anymeans... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom