Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bloody Ten

nwhawk

Guys, I'm by no means an English major so please bear with me. I filled my tag this weekend on Saturday the 30th. First year in the last 3 that I haven't had to eat tag soup, so to say I'm excited would be an understatement!! Here we go.

I got to the stand on Saturday morning about 6:45, so I had a good while to wait before any action took place. I suppose it was about 7:20 I had 3 does cross the crick behind me and worked their way to the East up the hillside. 5 minutes or so later 3 more took the same trail. These deer ended up catching my wind as it was a southwest wind. After a good 10 minutes of snorting from what seemed like every deer in the section I sat back down thinking my morning sit probably just ended in the first 45 minutes because of these does.

Fast forward about 15 minutes I began to think what do I have to lose, we're closing in on the rut fast and anything can happen even after snort fest 2010 just took place. So I grabbed the rattle pack and grunt tube and went to work. Wasn't a minute or two after I was done with my sequence I saw an antler coming straight at me. Looked to be a good one, the problem being he only had the one side. His other side was busted off just before the G2. The cool thing was he came in "looking," you could just tell he wanted to find the action. I let him pass and he kept moving down the trail.

I had pretty steady action with does moving on pretty much all sides of me but no glimpses of anything worth making the heart beat faster. About 8:20 I grabbed the grunt tube and went to work for a few seconds and a little basket rack 6 came from the same spot the half rack came from before. He ended up bedding down about 25 yds from me in some thick brush. He laid there for a good 30 minutes and its now about 9:10 and I'm wanting him to get out of here so I can think about getting out of the tree. Tried making some noise, moving a bit to make him get up and walk off but he was content where he was.

Last ditch effort I grabbed the grunt tube thinking maybe a grunt would get him up. I honestly was just kind of messing around with it and was making louder than normal grunts that shouldn't have sounded good to a deer, and again it failed at getting him up. So I waited, within 2 minutes I looked to the South (straight ahead of me) and here he came. I could tell he was a good one instantly so I got ready.

He walked in on the same trail the previous 2 bucks had and again you could tell this buck was looking for who made these grunts. He came in and found the smaller buck bedded down and got him up. Now here is why he got the name "Bloody Ten," I could see that he had blood all over his antlers and his one ear was laying limp on the side of his head. The wound was fresh and his ear was still bleeding. Now they kind of messed around for a few minutes and I just could not feed an arrow through the brush and was beginning to wonder if an opportunity was going to present itself. The buck ended up facing Southeast and I was thinking he was going to work his way off in that direction so I grunted once at him. He looked in my direction then turned again and looked back to the Southeast. I grunted again, he swung his head around and made a B-line in my direction and came around a bush at about 20yds. As he came around the bush I drew back and settled the pin, murped at him, he stopped and I let it go.

I couldn't have really pictured it any better. The arrow hit, and disappeared just as you'd hope right in the "boiler room." He took off and it was just as you'd see on the show's, he'd run hard, then slow down, then take off again, then slow down. After about 60 yds of that he nose planted and was done, all within about 50 yds of the stand.

Here are the pics. I'm no pro at scoring but I went through the process twice and came up with the same number both times. 158. Looking at him I still have a hard time believing the number because he's not the widest I've shot, or the tallest, but he makes up a lot of ground with his circumference measurements. He could be a couple less/more, but I don't really care. I'm pumped he's down and a memory I'll never forget. The wound to his ear has an entrance and an exit hole. I'm not sure if it's a wound from an antler or what but looked painful either way.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for the length of this but I alway's enjoy reading all of your stories on here so thought I'd share mine. Thanks for bearing with me :way:

Congrats again studly...your story had some details I hadn't heard over the weekend. Way cool :way:

Now get your arse out of that west stand and let the old fat guy kill "Mr. Big" the weekend of the 12th :grin:

NWBuck

Top Bottom