Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blustery opening morning success

Headed out to the woods opening morning of 1st season with not much hope of getting a bird. Set up ground blind and proceeded to put out the decoys only to have to chase our ground blind across the field.
Finally getting everything set up and staked down we were set up and ready. Did a series of loud yelps hoping to hear a response but nothing. Then talking with my buddy Glenn we were wondering what we were even doing out in the high winds and snow.
When I looked to the right and had a Jake at 10 yds. He stayed around in the decoys for 20 minutes, fun to watch. I don't know if I ever seen or heard a Jake try to gobble before until then. I about fell over laughing watching him try his darndest to let them decoys know he was the man. But all his noise to those decoys went on deaf ears. Finally he lifted his head up and looked behind the blind, I knew right away a bird was coming by his change in attitude.
The jake ran off and I could hear a bird strutting , spitting and drumming right outside the blind. Peaked through one of the windows and he was at 5 feet and in full strut, I raised my gun and stuck it out the window, waited for him to get out of strut and let him eat dirt. Pretty exciting hunt for us.
Weight was 25 lbs
Beard length was 9.5
Right spur 1 3/8
Left spur 1 3/8
2b8326c14fec34287c7496cfb026cd5f.jpg
afc0975f616598272e02d578350c2d2b.jpg
4be907a064c944d0e50bf43356077ec6.jpg

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Nice! That jake was the perfect live decoy for you. I also got a good chuckle over the sight of you chasing your blind down in the wind. :) That sounds just like something that I would do. :)

Top Bottom