Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bobcat Pic

UNI Buck

uploadedBobcat.JPG

This picture was taken in Southern Iowa just a week ago on a Photohunter.

I have done a lot of hunting in Southern Iowa over the years and have yet to ever see a bobcat. I wonder if it's true they are starting to make a comeback?

I was in Grand River last Nov. and a local trapper was showing a large male cat off. He caught it in a fox set and was about to turn it over to a DNR officer. He said that, he was aware of three caught in the area. Doesn't sound like a passing thru situation to me.

Yes they are making a comeback. I worked for the DNR at the Riverton Unit last fall during the duck season. If my memory serves me correctly there were three bobcats hit by cars while i was working there and they were all juvenile males. Our Biologist said this was a sign that they are succefully breeding in the area. There were other reports of bobcat sightings quite often.

[This message has been edited by micah3553 (edited 03-25-2002).]

This one definitely isn't a juvenile. On our role of film was a picure of our 65 pound german shorthair in nearly the same spot and the bobcat was not much smaller.

Yeah i can see that it looks like a big cat. I think that a real big bobcat can push the scales at about 40 pounds, this would be a BIG cat though. But i definetly agree with you that it is a mature animal.

That is a cool picture.I live up in NW Sask and have yet to see alive one. Lots of Lynx get trapped where I hunt but I am yet to see on alive though I see lots of tracks. Last winter I questioned my sanity when what my hunting partner and I thought was cougar crossed the road in front of us one night. Well, this year alocal trapper caught one while trapping wolves and a few more have talked about their tracks. Now I'd like to see one of those in the woods. (FROM A LOCKED GROUND BLIND)

Last year turkey hunt I had one try to kill one of my decoys in southern Iowa. I got a real good look at him he was only about 5 yards from my blind and I gest him to be 37 to 40 lbs I have seen them out west and in Missouri but, Was the biggest one I have evr seen.

[This message has been edited by Bowdon (edited 03-28-2002).]

Great picture.Bobcats are apparently coming on strong in southern Iowa.I saw a large one during late doe season and a buddy saw a small one during first gun season. Our first sitings and then two within two months.The turkeys,pheasants must be feeding them well.

Top Bottom