Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bobcat Sighting

blake

Life Member
I posted a hunt thread in the PMA Conference this evening about seeing a bobcat while in my deer stand today.

I think it might be interesting if we kept track of the number of bobcats we see this deer season. Also perhaps the county we saw them in.

1 large male, Page County

I saw a lone bobcat and then 3 (mother & two young?) in Madison county. Probably only 3 cats total as the sightings were only 10 minutes apart and I probably only saw 1 of the 3 the first time...I guess that makes 7

Thats funny that you start this thread. After MANY years of hunting and a ZILLION miles of driving around here around my hunting area, last evening I saw my first bobcat. It was cool as he**. It was a male and it was huge. I even got to watch him put the sneak on a mouse and leap about 3 feet in the air and catch it. He then took it into the corn rows and put it down and played with the darn thing for a couple of minutes before eating it. He would just bat it around on the ground with its paws. All this was happening about 35 yards right in front of me. It was one of the best things that I have ever seen while in the stand.
That one make 8 .

We are lucky down here, sightings are pretty common ( 2- 4 a year). We also trap a few every year. Love to see them in the stand.

Id almost think you should, i mean come on there almost like coyotes and things. Id think you should. Well if id see one, id crap my pants, they can climb....INTO MY TREE-STAND!!

A friend of mine was climbing down from his tree stand and saw one. He said he climbed back up in a hurry. It ended up walking around the tree he was in for a while and went on his way. This was in Van Buren county.

I big male on Oct. 19th Davis county. I think that makes 9. Here is a photo of one from last year that I caught on one of my trail cameras.
94100_0017_5-med.JPG

'bout time someone snapped a pic!!

can't shoot bobcats in iowa. they MIGHT allow trapping them next year.

only kitties you can shoot are pumas, and feral (stray) cats

Have heard of several being caught in traps around here. The DNR is quick to confiscate them though!

Last night 10-23-05 I had 1 small Bobcat under my stand. Harrison County, I also saw 1 last year about a mile from this one.

My father saw 3 (1 mama and 2 babies) and my husband saw 2 (young adults) Lee County.

I haven't seen any yet but last year I saw 1 and we found a large dead one on the side of the road. We wanted to have it stuffed but we called the DNR and they said it was illegal to even have in our possession and they took it.
frown.gif

We got one on tape about 3 weeks ago sitting on a haybale, and my dad saw one last weekend 1.5 hours away from there. Eastern iowa and south eastern iowa
grin.gif

My friend and his dad are big trappers and hunters. One day they said they were at the bottom of a dry river and heard one. He said it sent chills up his back. He said it sounds like a women scream. Never heard one myself but i dont really think i want to. If i do ill have my 14 inch knife with me. Just in case.
smirk.gif
(bought that knife off ebay. Its a knife that i wont forget thats for sure) !

I saw a female with kittens from my treestand in Marion county. First time ever!! They are smaller than I thought. Ghost that has to piss you off a little. It looks like that cat is taking a leak on your deer feeder! lol

Top Bottom