Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowfishing Bow set-up

Rudd

Life Member
I have a Left-handed bow in the Classifieds here. Wondering if that would be a good candidate for a bowfishing set-up. I am concerned with it's axle to axle (40"). I also may have the opportunity to use/purchase my bros Bear Recurve that is already set-up for bowfishing. What do you feel would be a better set-up to fish with. Better yet let's see some pics/details of what you currently are using.

That would prlly work well Ryan
in fact i shoot fingers when bow fishing, it is quicker and easier than wearing a release all day.
longer axle to axle lengths are more suited for fingers, so if it were me,id set her up to shoot scales...

Put a reel on the widow of yours. I've heard they are at least good for bow fishing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Here's what I got.

Far right, my first fishin bow, PSE Kingfisher. 40lb. draw with AMS reel and rest.

Then I dug the old Bear compound out of my dad's attic to use for a back-up bow. It is 45lb draw. It has a set draw length so unless you got a 26 in. draw you can't shoot it.

I was taking people out constantly last summer that didn't have a fishin bow, so I ended up shooting the Bear more than I wanted. It didn't have much zip left in it, so I bought another PSE, except its a 50lb draw.

Then this week I went out and bought a Browning Barracuda(far left). This bow is specifically designed for bowfishing at let me tell you, IT FRICKIN ROCKS!!! It is a 40lb draw but hits like a 60lb bow. I was blown away at how hard it sends them heavy fish arrows flying. The carp are gonna get hurt this summer. Plus it has no set draw stop so anybody in the boat can shoot it and has no let-off so you can snap shoot it like a recurve, which is a must imo.

All the bows are set up with 400lb fast flite string and AMS reels and rests.

03-14-08005.jpg

03-14-08009.jpg

Why have one or two when you can have four? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

You're almost as bad with bowfishing rigs as Shovelbuck is with recurves and such. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Not that that is a bad thing, lot worse things out there to spend $$$ on. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I can shoot with 4 guys in the boat. I need 4 bows. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Anytime I get compared to Jay I will take that as a compliment! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Seriously, I turned alot of people on to killing carp last summer and plan on taking out a whole bunch more newbies this summer. Got to have plenty of gear in the boat to do it right. It worked out great last year. "You show up with plenty of MGD and I will put you on fish." I didn't spend a dime on aiming juice last summer and everyone I took out immediately wanted to know when I would be able to take them out again. Good times. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom