Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Box Blinds

Elusive78

Was looking at purchasing a couple box blinds this year was looking at Banks, Muddy or Redneck would like some suggestions on what one I should purchase.

Banks or redneck. I just purchased a banks yesterday. Great company that stands behind their product. Like the size of the stump 4 since I have 2 kids that love to go. Built to last. Have hunted out of all 3. All have their pluses and minuses. If you want to replace them every couple years go with muddy. Not built to last. Look great on the showroom floor until they fall apart in the elements. Just my experience anyway.

I've always liked Redneck if you can afford them. Great quality, well insulated and plenty of room. I'm building my own early August but if I was going for nice and easy it'd be a Redneck for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Look at the new Radix Monarchs, can’t beat the price and can own a few for the price of 1 of the others. If you are in the SE part of the state I’ll have one to look at and try out in the next couple weeks.

X2 on the Radix. It’s not technically a “box blind” as its a soft side, but extremely well built and 1/3 or less the cost of a premium box blind. Ohh and also it’s an Iowa based company. I spent yesterday putting some together. Ill put the covers and floor on in September
63602b4731f0792b88ca774cd503744e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding blinds...what would people consider to be a good height to allow for safe archery shots out of a blind? Although I have not "put a tape" to them, some of the commercial blinds look to me to be a little short, and I don't even have a longbow.

Regarding blinds...what would people consider to be a good height to allow for safe archery shots out of a blind? Although I have not "put a tape" to them, some of the commercial blinds look to me to be a little short, and I don't even have a longbow.
I am unsure of what the radix blind is inside but I'm 6'3 and I will be able to stand and shoot in these blinds...rob or Jordan can probably tell you the inside dimensions

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I build stands with skids for my shadow hunters. I put them at 6 ft. I like that height for multiple reasons but the 2 main ones are you can shoot both close and far range shots while sitting, also being as mine are portable I'm able to keep them from being too top heavy when moving.

Pics of my set up. They work well for moving as the season changes and other plots become more of a go to spot.
75ab9aa59a6066e2b2170024c00ed7e3.jpg
e5c7fc7ed131dcd0a90c0760730b8d8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I am unsure of what the radix blind is inside but I'm 6'3 and I will be able to stand and shoot in these blinds...rob or Jordan can probably tell you the inside dimensions

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The Radix blinds are 72x72x84” tall inside.

For u guys that have shot “many deer” out of blinds, ideally mature bucks... is height not much of an issue with them seeing u draw, open window, move, etc?
My natural inclination is to go HIGH cause that’s how I like my stands & being out of line of sight. For blinds, I’m tempted to use 15’ platforms BUT u all have no issues lower? I almost never bow hunt out of blinds & very little experience doing it. I might add one spot this year where a blind is only option. If u all with experience could pick ANY height for a blind- what’s optimal ?

For u guys that have shot “many deer” out of blinds, ideally mature bucks... is height not much of an issue with them seeing u draw, open window, move, etc?
My natural inclination is to go HIGH cause that’s how I like my stands & being out of line of sight. For blinds, I’m tempted to use 15’ platforms BUT u all have no issues lower? I almost never bow hunt out of blinds & very little experience doing it. I might add one spot this year where a blind is only option. If u all with experience could pick ANY height for a blind- what’s optimal ?

I used to be a dyed in the wool tree stand guy. But once I started using blinds more, my success has actually went up. Mostly because the farms I hunt are pretty open and relying on trees limits my stand locations. Blinds allow me to hunt the exact spot I need to be in instead of the tree that’s kinda close to where I really need to be. I hunt a lot out of haybale blinds on the ground. Have killed 2 mature bucks out of them with a bow (and missed 2 more). Ive also killed 3 mature bucks out of elevated blinds. 2 were 4 ft off the ground and one was 6 ft (1 bow 2 gun). I honestly think the aversion to blinds is a mental thing. I don’t think deer care about them as much as we do lol. Just my 2 cents.

Skip blinds definitely have their place where they work better. As someone else has mentioned in locations where the perfect tree and or no tree at all exists a blind is a perfect option. Mine are set at 6ft. That height works great for me as I have not had an issue with any deer pick me off at that height. My 1st blind was a redneck buck palace on a Stand height of 10ft. I had a great buck pick me off as he was coming in (I think due to the open bigger window behind me in that particular blind is how he saw my movement). I have found that once a blind is put up @ a plot the deer tend to ignore the blind and do what they are there to do!! They eat. Another reason that height works well for me is I hunt quite often with my son (11 yr old). Not having steep angled shots is important and key for me as he is only shooting 37lbs and I try to make his shots close range. If I had the blinds up higher it would make it more difficult shooting 15yds and closer.

Here is the biggest advantage of a blind besides the obvious lack of tree issue. You can set up your spot in the order of cover, food, stand. That creates a nearly bullet proof set when you plan the ingress and egress route. I still mostly hunt out of treestands but these add a tool to the chest.

The Radix looks great. I bet one should take the blind down every year?? Being soft sided I would think the weather would take its toll. Could leave the frame and simply unattach the sides??

The Radix looks great. I bet one should take the blind down every year?? Being soft sided I would think the weather would take its toll. Could leave the frame and simply unattach the sides??

Yes I would recommend taking the cover off after the season. It will last a lot longer that way. The blind frame is powder coated so it can stay out indefinitely. The cover just zips on and has bungees securing it to the platform frame. Super easy take on/off

I have a Radix Monarch set up at my place to demo in Columbus Junction. Bring your bow or gun to shoot out of it to see if you like it. I have targets set up. 10% off of $925 price of the 10 ft blind for IW members.

Top Bottom