Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bridge crossing??

Daver

PMA Member
I have a question for the knowledgeable deer hunters here...on my farm there are more than a few places that the terrain is pretty steep and difficult to traverse, as in 15'-20'+ near vertical banks. These banks are are tough for me to climb when it is dry and a real circus act when it is wet/slippery. :D Deer will cross these areas in a pinch, BUT, in general these creek banks, etc, are so steep and tall that for the most part the deer steer way, way around them in normal travels.

In some cases these steep areas serve me well as they create natural funnels, but in other cases I am convinced that I could really improve the utilization of certain blocks of timber by giving the deer more freedom of movement over these deep crevices.

Also, I have several very stout posts, approximately 14'-15' long each, essentially cut down telephone poles, already at my place doing nothing more than laying in the yard. I have been considering using some of these to build bridges over a couple select "cuts".

My concept would be to dig into the bank a little and set a concrete block in the bank to then serve as a base for the pole(s) to lay on. For each bridge/crossing, I would run two poles parallel to each other, spaced about 3' apart and then use deck boards on top of the poles to create the walkway.

I know these would be very sturdy, and strong enough to easily drive an ATV across them. BUT...would deer take to them? Would the deer feel comfortable walking across a manmade span on top of a bridge like that? If so, is there a distance/elevation that they would cross, etc? I also thought about laying an outdoor carpet across the deck to make it less slippery in wet conditions and perhaps more natural feel for a deer.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome...

I have a question for the knowledgeable deer hunters here...on my farm there are more than a few places that the terrain is pretty steep and difficult to traverse, as in 15'-20'+ near vertical banks. These banks are are tough for me to climb when it is dry and a real circus act when it is wet/slippery. :D Deer will cross these areas in a pinch, BUT, in general these creek banks, etc, are so steep and tall that for the most part the deer steer way, way around them in normal travels.

In some cases these steep areas serve me well as they create natural funnels, but in other cases I am convinced that I could really improve the utilization of certain blocks of timber by giving the deer more freedom of movement over these deep crevices.

Also, I have several very stout posts, approximately 14'-15' long each, essentially cut down telephone poles, already at my place doing nothing more than laying in the yard. I have been considering using some of these to build bridges over a couple select "cuts".

My concept would be to dig into the bank a little and set a concrete block in the bank to then serve as a base for the pole(s) to lay on. For each bridge/crossing, I would run two poles parallel to each other, spaced about 3' apart and then use deck boards on top of the poles to create the walkway.

I know these would be very sturdy, and strong enough to easily drive an ATV across them. BUT...would deer take to them? Would the deer feel comfortable walking across a manmade span on top of a bridge like that? If so, is there a distance/elevation that they would cross, etc? I also thought about laying an outdoor carpet across the deck to make it less slippery in wet conditions and perhaps more natural feel for a deer.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome...

Good idea and I have thought about doing the same on one of my crossings. As far as will deer cross them, not really sure, but someone on here probably knows?

Worth a shot in my opinion. I kind of doubt a deer would cross it but you never know. Maybe place wire mesh on the top and cover it with dirt and seed it so it really feels natural.

Worth a shot in my opinion. I kind of doubt a deer would cross it but you never know. Maybe place wire mesh on the top and cover it with dirt and seed it so it really feels natural.

I also have considered using the plastic deck boards, so they don't rot, and then covering those boards with wood chips, etc, to give a more natural feel.

I also could install some "deer crossing" signs, complete with a picture of a bridge, right by the bridge(s) so they get the idea faster! :D

Somewhere I remember seeing a picture of elk on a golf cart bridge. Of course those have guard rails on them which I would think has to help. Is digging out a better grade out of the question?

Might be worth a try, but I suspect that it won't work as well as you hope. I've got a couple of bridge plank bridges that I drive my Gator over to cross smaller washouts. Once in a while there are deer tracks over them in the snow but the majority of deer that cross those areas go around the "bridges".

Daver,

I have seen my dog be very hesitant to cross the grate crossings at a local recreational area which uses such crossings over drainage cuts. I suspect any surface you end up with on top of the parallel poles would have to be basically "gap free".

BJ

I would build it for my use and if the deer use it that would be icing on the cake. I would guess over time they would use it.

I would think you would have a lot better luck cutting a grade in the ditch like someone said earlier. Only problem is it may wash out.

I think itd work but you would definitely have to have to put some sort of spongy filler on top of it. (Maybe a few layers of outdoor carpet??) Deer are a hoof animal and just like cattle do not like walking on slick rounded things ( Example, those in ground pipe gate cattle guards you see in gate holes ) . I also think itd take some time for them to get use to it. Maybe sprinkle some corn on each side so they can get a pattern set for crossing it.

I built a bridge in a similar place to cross a ditch down south. The deer do not use the bridge. Maybe you will have better luck however the deer now go up and down the ditch right next to the bridge not sure why this is.

sent from super hunters I phone

If deer are anything like cattle...its harder than hell to get cattle to cross a bridge. We have to lay out grain and hay on the bridge and literally have an army to push them across it. just my .02

I have built 2 bridges - one for foot/atv traffic and one for my tractor. Deer do not use either one of them.... Here are a couple pictures.

402119_10151076614971435_1074335251_n_zpscf847d65.jpg

255174_10150222409351435_6279598_n_zps3a5ca137.jpg

If you build a bridge just for deer to cross, I would say you're wasting your money. Don't think they will cross it.

I disagree that they won't cross. I have a creek running through my property and the first time I placed a bridge I really didn't think deer would cross it too and I can remember the first time I sat in the spot waiting for it to get light I heard something that I never heard before, finaly realize it was hoofs hitting the wood as the deer walked across the bridge. From my experience if you don't want them to use it leave gaps between the boards. If you want them to use it put the board tight and cover with something and ad a little dirt to the top. By the way I moved that bride right infront of the treestand that I hunt in and it acts like a funnel. Have not seen many bucks especialy older deer cross on the bridge but during the rut they definitely scent check it for does so it still works as a funnel.

Interesting replies, thanks to all. My hunch was that deer would not use a bridge if it was slippery, had gaps between the boards, etc, or even if it was elevated above the surrounding terrain too much. But I thought they might use it if it had a natural look and feel to the walking surface.

My current plan is to bury a culvert in a couple of key spots in the timber and then fill in over the top of that with dirt. I think if I add riprap to the sloped ends on either side of the culvert then that should stand up to future rains and erosion, etc. I am sure deer will use a natural bridge like that, the only challenge to that idea is digging them in by hand OR getting a skid loader in the right spot.

Meanwhile, I think I am going to try a "regular" bridge too in one spot and see what happens. My thought now is to cover the deck with wood chips, etc, to make it seem natural.

I've often thought about doing this too. I say put a roof underlayment over the heavily stained boards; and then dirt or mulch over that. I would think the local deer would use it.

My current plan is to bury a culvert in a couple of key spots in the timber and then fill in over the top of that with dirt. I think if I add riprap to the sloped ends on either side of the culvert then that should stand up to future rains and erosion, etc.

One of the areas I hunt has a similar small creek with deep banks. It's so small that it isn't uncommon for it to be completely dry. When the landowner purchased the farm there was a farm crossing with a plugged culvert and very little lateral support. I helped him dig the entire area out, add what we felt was an oversized culvert, rip rap both sides and put large concrete slabs on top. We also made an "alternate route" where, when water was high, would cause flow to go around the crossing rather than over the top. It looked perfect, and we routinely took farm implements across it. Long story short, I've now helped him rebuild that crossing twice, and a 4 inches of rain within a few hours in June has now substantially compromised it again. We can still cross with a 4 wheeler, but that's about it. I believe the latest thought is to concede to Mother Nature's power, dig it out completely, along with approaches on both sides and put a low water crossing in to let the water roll as it will. Just another thought to throw on the pile. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

One of the areas I hunt has a similar small creek with deep banks. It's so small that it isn't uncommon for it to be completely dry. When the landowner purchased the farm there was a farm crossing with a plugged culvert and very little lateral support. I helped him dig the entire area out, add what we felt was an oversized culvert, rip rap both sides and put large concrete slabs on top. We also made an "alternate route" where, when water was high, would cause flow to go around the crossing rather than over the top. It looked perfect, and we routinely took farm implements across it. Long story short, I've now helped him rebuild that crossing twice, and a 4 inches of rain within a few hours in June has now substantially compromised it again. We can still cross with a 4 wheeler, but that's about it. I believe the latest thought is to concede to Mother Nature's power, dig it out completely, along with approaches on both sides and put a low water crossing in to let the water roll as it will. Just another thought to throw on the pile. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

What you described is what would be called a "Missouri Crossing" in my area of the state. For just the reasons that you stated too, that is the preferred method to make a creek crossing in the clay hills of southern Iowa. BUT...the areas I am thinking of are deep, but not so wide. So it would take some serious bull dozing to shape a crossing over just a 10' wide, most of the time bone dry creek bed but at other times a raging torrent, that it is just isn't practical.

What I am really trying to accomplish isn't so much to make a tight, funnel spot to hunt over, I want to give the deer more easy movement through the timber so they naturally utilize more of the timber that I already have thickened up. I have a few spots that in my mind do not have as much deer travel as I think they should and I think it is due to them being sort of "land locked" by these deep cuts.

Perhaps I am over thinking this, but some areas of my timber are always "deer rich", while others are not so much. I suspect that the lack of easy access and/or fewer quick escape opportunities cause the deer to favor some areas over others. I am always tinkering with hinge cutting/TSI, etc, to make the timber more deer friendly, so this idea just follows along with that.

Top Bottom