Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadleaf Arrowhead/Duck Potato

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Thinking way outside the box here but after watching some of the latest The Hunting Public videos they are hunting some public land and the deer are absolutely hammering this plant. It naturally occurred in a marshy area. The area where this was dried up in the fall and allowed the entire plant to be exposed and the deer were eating the plant itself and the bulb. My question for everyone on here is of they have had experience with this plant. We have two shallow water wetland ponds that are always full in the spring and summer, and dry up during the fall and winter. The deer are naturally in this area because CRP surrounds it and thinking ahead for more/New food sources for next year. Thanks

I don't know anything about that plant(s), but I saw the episodes too and was similarly intrigued. It sounds like you have a potentially good setup for such a plant. Good luck on finding out more. It may be possible that it is not naturally occurring and may have been planted by the DNR. I know that the DNR personnel will plant some areas with waterfowl friendly seeds in the hopes of those low areas will be flooded and attractive to waterfowl in the fall. At least they used to do this in the Coralville Reservoir zone at one time. Maybe a DNR employee in that area knows more about how that stuff got out there??

I get it growing in my pond, old pond that I renovated, but not every year. A couple years ago it was thick and the deer were grazing it pretty heavy in the fall.

Yes it grew on its own, I assume from seed that was in the pond when I cleaned it out. It seems inconsistent from year to year, some years it grows in ponds all over and some I don't see any.

Top Bottom