Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Decoy Vs Doe Decoy

Rutty

It's time to start breaking out the decoy.... I have only used a buck decoy in the past. I have had some decent hunts with them. How many guys out there use doe decoys? From my experience with a buck decoy it is very hit or miss. My hesitation of using one is always running the risk of spooking and having does blow at the buck decoy before a mature buck has time to see it. Anybody have a different experience with a doe decoys?

I've used a doe decoy 2-3 times in a large cut field and everytime I do the majority of does blow at it. Young does didn't seem to mind it, but the old slickheads knew something was fishy. I tried putting a white rag on the tail for movement and I would usually use doe urine as well. I remember a November 5th hunt where 3 different doe groups blew at it and went back the way they came. I guarantee one of those groups had a buck in tow and I quit using it after that. This was a pretty heavy hunting pressure area, so I'm sure that played a role, but I think deer don't like the lack of movement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had my 4 year old son in the blind Saturday night, brought out the Frank the decoy since scrapes were starting to pop up. Had some does come by at about 50 yards and they didn’t think anything of it, the buck in my avatar pic snuck in right behind us in the standing cornfield that we were backed up against, ended up jumping the fence about 20 yards down and came in all puffed up and stiff legged!! He’s not the biggest buck but with the boy in the blind it was a no brained to let an arrow fly! He came right into the decoy at 15 yards and was ready to hammer it! Had about a 60 yard track job and he got to experience his first real deer hunt!! I’ve had hits or misses for sure, but more on the positive side for me

I like to use a buck decoy, and remove one antler.

Seems the deer dont mind a buck not moving, but when I use a doe they keep looking in the direction the decoy is looking and start getting nervous after it doesn't move for awhile.

I've had really good success with the doe decoy, but I avoid high traffic areas and food sources. I like putting a doe out where I expect to see cruising bucks out of range and very little else. Get his attention and the doe decoy will finish the job. Just remember your best stand usually isn't your best decoy stand.

What kinda decoys u guys use I have a flambou boss buck and that thing is the noisiest thing I've ever drug out in the woods with me..

What kinda decoys u guys use I have a flambou boss buck and that thing is the noisiest thing I've ever drug out in the woods with me..
Boss buck here too. The other morning I was lifting it out of the truck and the head fell off onto a steel ramp. Then I got to the tree, set it down to hang my bow and it tipped over. Loudest morning ever. Hell you can't even let your zipper touch it without it being loud. Wonder if you couldn't stuff it with something to deaden the echo?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boss buck here too. The other morning I was lifting it out of the truck and the head fell off onto a steel ramp. Then I got to the tree, set it down to hang my bow and it tipped over. Loudest morning ever. Hell you can't even let your zipper touch it without it being loud. Wonder if you couldn't stuff it with something to deaden the echo?

What if you sprayed the inside with that expanding foam?

Had a boss buck, too loud for me as well. Sold it and got the Primos Scarface. It is a lot softer and not as loud, puts together quietly in the field or isn’t as loud carrying it in put together! Comes with a solid stand too, not as big as the Boss Buck, but I like it!

That was my first thought. Don't think the weight would be too terrible?

I wouldn't think so. Be sure to have places for the foam to escape or it might rupture the decoy as it expands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thought about spraying the body cavity with a rubber spray and filling legs and head with spray foam to keep quiet might have to wrap the legs in towels for transporting it in and out of field while it's not assembled and inside the body cavity...seems like alot of work

Top Bottom