Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Build your own tree stand?

streitl

Has anyone ever built their own treestand? I was thinking of building one out of treated 2x6's, 2x4's and a little plywood. If anyone has any experience doing this, I would appreciate some insight.

I have built quite a number of stands. What kind are you thinking. Like an enclosed elvated stand, unenclosed box stand, .....

Let us know.

Dean

Here are the ones that I build. I also have built my own climbing sticks. THA4 helped with that project this year.
5598stands.jpg

If your talking about building a wooden stand in a tree... just make sure to update it often!

I fell through a home made stand 10 years ago. Had 2x6's attatched parrallel to the ground on the outside of the trunks, then plywood accross the middle for the platform. 2 years later I was up in the stand and noticed it seemed a bit rotten already, I no sooner thought that and found myself falling through the middle. Luckily my arms caught the 2x6's and kept me from falling all the way. Had some nasty bruises and scrapes to show for it, but avoided worse.

I have since taken down all wooden stands were I hunt and have started using real ones. And by real ones, I mean Lone Wolf's
grin.gif

Just my 2cents

[ QUOTE ]
Here are the ones that I build. I also have built my own climbing sticks. THA4 helped with that project this year.
5598stands.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

about how much does that cost?? to do i mean.

Vrod, do you build them out of treated wood, or just regular? I was thinking of making a ladder stand for myself. I was thinking I wouldn't have to spend much more than $40 or so to build a ladder stand. About $30 in wood and the rest in bolts, straps, and chains. Do you have any pictures of the stands you have built?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever built their own treestand? I was thinking of building one out of treated 2x6's, 2x4's and a little plywood. If anyone has any experience doing this, I would appreciate some insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have 6 i built out of treated wood. they are sturdy, but heavy and a pain int the arse to hang. however, i made them portable so i can pull them down and move them if i need.
another bonus is squirrels wont eat treated plywood, so that will make your stand last longer....
if you have access to steel tubing and a welder and know how to do that, id recommend that approach over the plywood.....
but both wll work

I have a few stick built stands out there. Here are a few tips:

1) Ues treated 2x6's for the framing and something like 60D pole barn spikes.

2) I have taken to building the framework of treated lumber and just setting used pallets on top of the treated frame. I replace the pallet every couple years as they rot. You can lay some plywood over the pallet and then get real fancy and put a piece of outdoor carpet over that. I don't do this anymore as the plywood just makes things rot more quickly.

3) I wouldn't build a wooden ladder to use. Get some cheap climbing sticks or a garage sale aluminum ladder as they'll be a lot safer.

4) An 18v DeWalt cordless kit is invaluable for this kind of stuff. The drill and circular saw will save you a bnuch of headaches as you can cut and attach right in the timber.

Also, I forgot, go the extra mile and take a 4' level with you. My brother-in-law has a stand he built that slopes to one side and I hate even looking at it...let alone sitting in it.

My dad and I have built quite a few re-rod tree stands in the past. They are very cheap, about $12.00 a piece. They are heavier than most other stands but there not too bad. We hang about 8-10 a year between the two of us. Really, they are some of the more comfortable stands I hunt out of. If you hang your stands early and you hang a lot of them, price starts to come into play. We use our store bought stands for last minute stand locations. I love them and plan on building more this winter.

Top Bottom