Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Building a pond, need some advice.

Re: Building a pond, need some advice. PICS ADDED!

Thanks Paul, This whole house thing is really cutting in to my hunting time. I've been out once so far!
mad.gif
It will all be worth it someday, but man it sucks right now!
grin.gif
Guess I better stock some fish if we're going to have that fish fry.
grin.gif

I know just a wee little bit about fishing- not much about stocking or things of that nature..but if you want big bass, you need a good shad forage.

I have a pond, no joke, that has an average of five lbs bass in it. I have weighed many over seven...

This is what a 7.5 lb shad fed bass looks like...
grin.gif
fishing150.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if you want big bass, you need a good shad forage.
</div></div>

Where can I get some shad to feed my bass???

Whataya say Skully...we can split a truckload! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Lake Macbride in Solon, is full of them...any dam this time of year in a small river- In my area, the Iowa river power company dam on the Iowa river, or the Burlington street dam, on the same river. Just need a throw net..don't touch them though..they STINK!!
confused.gif
grin.gif

The trick is, to get the shad to get big enough that they continually reproduce, yet the "first generation" never gets ate. I have found that a seven lb bass, has a hard time munching on a 12 inch shad...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if you want big bass, you need a good shad forage.
</div></div>

Where can I get some shad to feed my bass???

Whataya say Skully...we can split a truckload! </div></div>

DAAAANG, thats a nice bass! I know of a little place near Muscatine where we can get some shad Paul. My cousin and I have "snagged" shad for their guts to use for catfish bait. Do the shad have any negative effects in a pond besides being un-edible for humans? Wouldn't sunfish and feeder minnows serve the same purpose? I agree that shad are some stinky little buggers!

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't sunfish and feeder minnows serve the same purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...the only thing I know, is that bluegills can really over-populate a pond. IF, they aren't kept in check by the bass...or catfish.
I am not sure of the adverse affects of shad...I know they make bass grow huge- and if you plan to dig deep enough for walleyes- they are also a top food choice for walleyes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do the shad have any negative effects in a pond besides being un-edible for humans? Wouldn't sunfish and feeder minnows serve the same purpose? I agree that shad are some stinky little buggers! </div></div>

I'm just wondering if shad would even survive in a "closed" pond enviorment?

I would think feeder minnows would do the trick and those readily available. (and non-stinky /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

My biggest problem is some monster catfish that eat all the bluegills...so my bass never get large, the bluegills are very good size and small ones are rare.

I need to get Shredder (a.k.a. Catfish Slayer) to come over haul some of those bad boys outa there /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Re: Building a pond

How is your pond skully? Should be full to the brim this spring!!

Just a reminder to check your overflow pipes that they don't get clogged...good way to cause your dike to wash out! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Mine has been working "overtime" lately!

S5000902.jpg

I could hear it shooting a gusher for days! Looked like this on the other side.

Allwet.jpg

Gunner loves the pond! Great place for a dawg to cool off after a hard day shed huntin'

S5000904.jpg

Give us some updates on how your pond is doing...all stocked, seeding holding and full of 10# bass? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hey Paul, you know I love pics as much as the next guy but I have to have about three hours and a twelve pack to get through the picture posting process! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif If I can get my wife to help me I will round up some pics and get this thread back up to speed. We built our pond that summer and it was brim full by the next spring thaw! Our natural springs really opened up and I found out the hard way while ice fishing this winter. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Seems a spring keeps the ice a little thin and I just about went in the drink! The pond has been a blast and is one of the best investments I think I have ever made. We swam all summer, ice fished and skated in the winter and watched the ducks and geese land all spring. Every day we get some kind of enjoyment from it. It does help that we can see it from the house and the boys always come running in to tell me what kind of critter is drinking out of the pond. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The pond has been a blast and is one of the best investments I think I have ever made. We swam all summer, ice fished and skated in the winter and watched the ducks and geese land all spring. </div></div>

What he said. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Muskrats will come and you'll need to trap, gosh darn. Might as well put out a few coon and mink sets while you are at it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I can get my wife to help me </div></div>

We're counting on her /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Can't imagine not having a pond to just sit by and let the world go by sometimes /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Wow! I don't blame you..that's a beautiful pond! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom