Butchering your own

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by deerdown, May 20, 2020 at 9:08 AM.

1. deerdown

deerdown Member

With the disruption in our food supply, anyone buying pigs direct from the farmer and butchering your own?
    A buddy of mine got me 2 and put them on dirt for a couple weeks, we're going to butcher them next week. Wondering if anyone is doing the same.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

We thought about it, but decided to just order a half hog for around $160 (including processing of hams, bacon and breakfast links)

deerdown likes this.
  4. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

We raise pigs and have butchered some for personal use. Front end loader comes in handy. I have a block & tackle in a building I use for hanging animals. Break them down and move to the fridge so that you can work on it over a couple of days. Not something I really enjoy doing. Opening a butcher shop is not in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Just did my first last Saturday. If you have butchered deer it isn't too far of a stretch to then do a hog. Plenty of high quality YouTube videos on the subject too.

Here are my top 3 lessons learned...

1. Strap up with the right weapon/ammo. I took a .22 pistol and without thinking about it, I brought hollow point ammo. Well...let's just say that a 320# hog has a thick enough skull that my combo did little to no damage on Mr. Pig. I mean that porker barely flinched after getting shot between the eyes three times. The providing farmer retrieved his .22LR and did the deed for me. The farmer was surprised too though, he normally gets rid of them when they are about 275#...so apparently the skull is much thicker by the time they are another 50#'s bigger??

2. My only real fubar on the processing side was when I had removed the head and field dressed it I wanted to then split the carcass in half lengthwise so it was light enough that we could handle it/hang it. I chose a Sawzall for this task, which was fine...but in retrospect I chose the wrong blade! As the shorter blade that I was using "curved" as I was cutting and dug into some good meat on the one side. We were able to use the meat, but after trimming it and putting it in the "grind" pile...not in the prime pork chop pile. Harrumph.

I had sliced the meat and skin and back and was attempting to follow the spine and pretty much cut only bone(ribs mainly)...but the contorted blade was also cutting meat that I could not see at the time. The solution...use a longer, stiffer blade on the Sawzall next time.

3. I have a lift gate truck at my shop and we used that to lift Mr. Pig into the bed of the truck. That was the cats pajamas there...if we had to lift a dead, 300+ pound pig up into the tailgate, after having been bled out, well, let's just say that would have been a scene! :) We left it in the bed of the truck and removed the head at home and let it bleed out more and then field dressed it and split it too in the bed. So we then had 1/2 of a gutted hog to lift...which was doable. Plan your lifts. :)

Other than that, it went pretty well and we had more than 200# of yield. We'll do it again I am sure.

6. deerdown

deerdown Member

Wow, that's a lot of meat.
    My buddy raises and butchers his own, he did 13 for himself and family this year alone, so I think I'm in good hands. We butchered all our own when we go to Texas pig hunting, use the saw zall to split as well.
    He mentioned that we'd only get about half of what you're saying, but they are smaller pigs I think.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess

7. Ishi

Ishi Waiting For October

I would have paid good money to watch this event:D

Rjack and Daver like this.
  8. Daver

Daver PMA Member

You sir, would have gotten your money's worth!! :) :)

4DABUCKS and Ishi like this.
  9. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

I use a .22 LR solid out of a rifle, dropped hogs and 1,100 lb cattle with this. But yeah, it is the minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk