Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buying back crops from farmers

Boonervilleusa

Does anyone know what a person can expect to pay for having a farmer leave either corn or beans standing? I know what market rate is, but do farmers expect to get paid full price for lets say 4 acres of beans and 2 acres of corn? I am meeting with a farmer in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pay full price. The farmer comes out ahead not having to pick, store and transport it. But I figure he deserves it for all of the deer damage he has to tolerate, after I have been leaving crops standing in the same fields for 20 years.

They usually want market value less harvest cost (~$35/ac), otherwise it's basically the same as handing the requesting party a pile of free cash. Some won't take off the harvest cost either. Get's spendy in a hurry. 60 bushel beans ~$600/a. 200 bushel corn ~$800/a. If a guy looks at it in reverse, its completely understandable. Not a lot "free" money floating around to just give away in the ag world at the moment.

Some farmers are bothered to the core about leaving crops even if they are getting paid for whatever reason.

They usually want market value less harvest cost (~$35/ac), otherwise it's basically the same as handing the requesting party a pile of free cash. Some won't take off the harvest cost either. Get's spendy in a hurry. 60 bushel beans ~$600/a. 200 bushel corn ~$800/a. If a guy looks at it in reverse, its completely understandable. Not a lot "free" money floating around to just give away in the ag world at the moment.

Some farmers are bothered to the core about leaving crops even if they are getting paid for whatever reason.

My answer would be pretty much what IowaBow is saying here. ^^ And IMO, I can't blame the farmers. It is back to being tough going for many of them. The "go-go" days from 5+ years ago are over, so they need to come out fair too. If you do go this route, I would suggest thinking about e-fencing your say 2 acre plot. At least you can likely get the crops over into your hunting time period.

All good feedback...and pretty much what I expected. Basically i have a chance to hunt a new farm, but the way the farms lays, it's best suited as a late season farm, and needs food in order to hold deer. All available space is currently in tillable, so there are no open spots I can put plots of my own. Trying to see if paying farmer to leave crops is worth it.

It does bother them, especially in a situation on a leased hunting farm, where the owner has the rowcrop leased to one person and the hunting rights to another. And the farmers cattle getting into it are another matter.

It does bother them, especially in a situation on a leased hunting farm, where the owner has the rowcrop leased to one person and the hunting rights to another. And the farmers cattle getting into it are another matter.
Thankfully no cows are present on this particular farm. But you bring up a good point. The farmer I am meeting with isn't the owner. He rents the tillable from the owner.

PAY FULL PRICE if any issue at all!!!! “I want 200 bushel corn left”. That could be 1 or 3 acres depending on the year. If the guy is honest- give him some slack. It’s a NET small inconvenience to farmer overall. So- just pay fair prices & per bushel & both y’all b happy. If I left stuff & someone wanted to “nitpick” it- I’d just harvest it all. SIMPLE IS GOOD! :)
Side note: buy big tall flags for corn & nice visible ones for beans. Mark em on map & clear in field. Try and make nice easy straight lines so it’s easy to work around. Also- if u leave corn or whatever - if u have any ability to mow in early spring - anything u can do to make next planting season easier for farmer - do it.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about land you do not own? Otherwise, if you own the land, you can negotiate the lease based on leaving standing corn or beans. So I knock X amount of dollars off the overall rent if he leaves 2 acres of corn.

The yield should not matter on land you own, correct? Or am I missing something here, the input cost/his labor...would be the amount needed, factoring in that he might need to chop it in the spring or whatever.

It can be an inconvenience to the farmers because standing corn can be a mess to plant into the next spring especially if in a no-till environment. Pay whatever the farmer asks because they are not making much net gain with our food plots being left in the fields over harvesting like the rest of the field. The eye sore alone of standing crops when the neighbor or landowner drive by would require a premium to me. My two cents from a farmers perspective.

If you look at corn the bushel or labor difference is minimal

200 bu corn at 3.50–$700
(Local price) example

$450 input... plus $100-150 chop/tillage etc...
$600. Guesstimates ....

So I guess it’s not that big a deal. Now if rent is involved.. factor that in.

Top Bottom