Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cam height/position

dbltree

Super Moderator
Well after the incident with the trespasser and countless pictures of bucks shying away from the cams night or day I decided to pickup a very lite aluminum 3 step ladder and mount them up out of reach. The red glow on the BTC's is not as noticeable if one is not looking directly at it so I hope this will help?

The swivel mounts allow the cams to be easily angled downward

IMG_0012.jpg

The mounts come with straps but I like to use deck screws so the mount is even less noticeable and the little step ladder allows me to put it out of reach and not in direct line of eye sight.

TrailCamMount1.jpg

I know that the sensitivity area is reduced and in some cases one may not get a great look at the face of a trespasser but I'm going to test it out and see how it works.

Bucks see the red glo and boy they do not like it even a little!

PICT0757.jpg

PICT0758.jpg

PICT0759.jpg

It doesn't stop the bucks from traveling or scare them from the area but they do make every effort to skirt the cam

PICT0727.jpg

PICT0728.jpg

PICT0729.jpg

PICT0730.jpg

PICT0732.jpg

Notice he is rocking back and forth...nervous

B1.jpg

The next frame he darts to the side and around the tree...these being only a few samples of many many and that includes daytime pics when they just see the cam on the side of the tree so even an expensive Reconyx is not the answer to this problem.

Cams on food sources or scrapes they seem to ignore (the deer not the poachers... :rolleyes: ) but the cams on runways are another story. I'll check these in a week and see what if anything I come up with but in the meantime if you have advice or thoughts on mounting up out of line of sight...please share! :way:

Where did you find the mount?

Are the threads on it long enough to use a 10 gauge locbox with?

I have been putting my cameras up in the air for a few years. It does cut down on the area the sensor can see, but have had several people walk right by it and never notice. I carry a single Lone Wolf stick and put the camera up as high as my head when standing on the top step. Gets to probably 10-11 feet up. As far as deer, they seem to be more concerned when I put the camera at eye level than up high.

Several companies coming out with invisible-flash infrared cameras. Just got back from ATA show and there must have been 200 new cameras. Each company is offering way more models - some have over 12 models! Reconyx is very good but pricey - there are more options for that now.

Where did you find the mount?

Are the threads on it long enough to use a 10 gauge locbox with?

Here's a link to the cam mounts...not sure if they will work on anything besides BTC/Covert and Scoutguard?

Angle Tree Mount / Bracket For Bushnell Trophy Cam

It will work with one of these but kind of a pain in combination

Bear safe box

I have been putting my cameras up in the air for a few years. It does cut down on the area the sensor can see, but have had several people walk right by it and never notice. I carry a single Lone Wolf stick and put the camera up as high as my head when standing on the top step. Gets to probably 10-11 feet up. As far as deer, they seem to be more concerned when I put the camera at eye level than up high.

Perfect!

Thanks dbltree I'm currently in the process of designing and building my own.

It will be much simpler with no plastic parts. Cold and plastic is not a good combo.

I checked one of the cams I elevated and it works like a charm!

Great pics and the deer are clueless!

B2E.jpg

Doegroup-1.jpg

B3E.jpg

Jumper.jpg

There were 250 pics on this cam and not a single deer knew the cam was there and as you can see it detected them pretty far away as many deer were across the fence.

I like it and will be moving any of them I can to elevated positions! ;)

I tipped a couple cams on a bit to much of an angle...still worked very well and I have had few "butt" shots indicating that deer made it past the cam.

Good shot of this shed buck

ShedBuck-3.jpg

Same cam but this buck was moving faster and had the cam been angled forward better it would have picked him up approaching

B1-39.jpg

This elevated cam got 4 pics of this bobcat approaching from the side and probably might have missed him had it been lower on the tree.

BC2.jpg

So far I like the elevated cams so much better and so it seems do the deer...:way:

B2-32.jpg

Here's a couple more mounts that allow you to elevate the cam and then tip it downward

Adjustable Tree Mount Fits Bushnell Trophy Cam

Adjustable Tree Mount

Mount-Bushnell trophy cam-Stealth-Primos-Moultrie

You can use this with the mounts and from a cable lock through it

Bushnell Trophy Cam "Mini Mount"

I tried one of these but you have to disconnect the mount to get the cam out of the box...pain in the butt!

NEW BUSHNELL BEAR SAFE BOX FOR TROPHY TRAIL CAM
The ones that have a "front door" would appear to be easier to operate and not have to mess with the mount itself.

2010 Bushnell Trophy Cam Security Box

The mounts alone are easy to use but where theft is a problem, height alone may not solve the problem....;)

That is pretty cool Paul, always wondered about doing something like that as I have always noticed the bucks looking at the Red Glow. Definitely going to have to try that out.

Kratz

thats a good idea. only problem that I see still happening is during the summer time when the wind blows all the brush around. Would this still set off the cam and leave you with 600* pictures?

thats a good idea. only problem that I see still happening is during the summer time when the wind blows all the brush around. Would this still set off the cam and leave you with 600* pictures?

in the summer i take the mower on the tractor and mow a nice area in front of the camera, if i can't get the tractor to the camera i just carry in a weed whacker and take all the grass in front of the camera to the ground

Top Bottom