Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cedar seedlings- sources?

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Who you guys buying from? The Iowa state nursery? Missouri state nursery? Any quality preferences?

I have a lot to plant this spring. More than I will be able to locate and transplant.

Thanks

You can order plugs from Itasca Greenhouse in MN. 500 for around .60 each.

Plugs are so easy to plant, and have better survival. We plant around 500 in a mornings work.

I used to buy a bunch from the Indiana state nursery. They have an annual tree sale. I bought cedars there for $30 per 100. Shipping would be extra, but I always picked them up since I lived there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspen plugs.jpg
You plant with drill bit or dibble bar?
Dibble bar will work, or you can buy a plug planting tool for around $50...

Slick as can be, cedars would probably be 80-90% survival in a normal year...possibly higher with good rain.

Here is a pic of the plug tool.

Last edited:
So this might be a dumb question, but how do you keep deer from eating them all off? Or do you plant enough you hope some make it? Or do they just not like cedars?

North Central Reforestation ..In Minnesota ship right to your door. Always have A Plus products.. Good People..

What source did you end up with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Itasca in MN. They recommend using a plug bit in a cordless drill. Doesn't compact the soil on the wall of the hole that way. Taking them mid-march unless ground happens to be frozen.

Itasca in MN. They recommend using a plug bit in a cordless drill. Doesn't compact the soil on the wall of the hole that way. Taking them mid-march unless ground happens to be frozen.
Shipping or pick up? I was set to call them this morning. Family cabin just a few miles from them and was trying to figure if I want to go up that early

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IBH, do you do anything to protect the cedar seedlings? of just mass plant and let them do their thing?

No. deer don't eat them... at all. That is the biggest issue with about any other tree you could plant. Maybe they will rub on a couple, but I haven't had that problem either. The only way I get them to rub cedars is by cutting all the lower branches off a bigger tree. I've transplanted hundreds every year for the last several years and never had an issue.

No. deer don't eat them... at all. That is the biggest issue with about any other tree you could plant. Maybe they will rub on a couple, but I haven't had that problem either. The only way I get them to rub cedars is by cutting all the lower branches off a bigger tree. I've transplanted hundreds every year for the last several years and never had an issue.
Good deal, thanks. I ordered 250 ERC's and 100 persimmon seedlings from MDC, I'm sure I'll need to tube the persimmon.

So dumb question, but what do you guys do for watering the trees after planting? Specifically the cedars...I live 2 1/2 hours from the farm so its not like I would want to be running back and forth a ton if I didnt have to.

Top Bottom