cedar tree grass control

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by olafoggy, May 15, 2018.

1. olafoggy

olafoggy Member

planted some small cedars whats my best option for killing grass around them besides covering and using roundup around each thanks

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Clethodim & crop oil (must use both) will kill grass & not harm trees.

4. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

^^^ Yup - next year you can try Oust XP or Spyder XP earlier in the spring before they candle and that'll smoke the grasses.

Sligh1 likes this.
  5. Sligh1

I probably should say..... ok.... u kill the grass - now weeds r gonna come up. U need 2-3 pre emergent sprays in there as well. Read up in tree planting section. Simazine, surflan, prowl h20, etc.

6. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 PMA Member

Depends on how many cedars you planted OTC spruce.jpg , but weed mats are a one time deal

7. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be afraid of roundup either. Doesn't take much effort to spray away from tree and even if you get a lil on it, you aint killing a cedar with a little bit of roundup. Add some residual weed control in with it as noted above and you be all set.

8. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter New Member

I transplanted 175 small cedars this year. Sprayed around them with R/U not knowing it would set them back some. They seem to have toughed it out and doing fine.

9. IowaBowHunter1983

I doubt it was the roundup unless you really got a lot on them. First year trees are always half brown if they have any size to them. By next year, they will look like they always belonged

10. deep woods goat hunter

I pretty well doused them, didn't think anything of gly hurting them. It even set back the established cedars in the fence row o_O

11. IowaBowHunter1983

yeah that might do it... lol. Kinda of proves my earlier point that RU is an option .... preferable sprayed away from the tree. ;)

12. deep woods goat hunter

I was spraying alongside them for WSGs planting in a few weeks, I though man I bet those cedars would take off if I killed that grass HAHA
    Live and learn, I think most of them will make it.

13. arm

arm Leg

Lol. Yep

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

To be honest, I've never worried about grass control around cedars! I spend way too much time killing them out of my warm season grasses to worry about protecting them when they are where I do want them. In my experience, cedars pretty much thrive on neglect. RU (on the green part) will do them more harm than a little grass!

15. Sligh1

This was cedars at last minute on a whim. I was planting while bro was moving em. He was too slow on some and I ran the big sprayer right over Some. Browned some out but be just fine. I do not like spraying trees growing. Or moving them while they growing. BUT - Trees with large root systems can take quite a beating. I sure don’t wanna push it or spray on purpose but things r tough. Getting rid of grasses - if u add pre-emergent cocktail will speed up growth. But-
    Cedars grow in grasses pretty darn well to begin with. Just depends how much u wanna push em along. Heck- if a guy wanted to get crazy- fertilize em. Leaving them be with nothing should be sufficient on most of em. If I wanted speed em up- I’d work on the really small ones still trying to get established. Lil 8-12” ones. [​IMG]][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Sligh1

Hurting “foliage” on tree a lot different than tree taking it in & killing it. Will kill off new soft growth BUT energy in tree - if older & well established- will overcome it & put new growth on. Recover with some time.