Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Re: Cereal Grains - October 17th Oats/Rye Frosts

Few pics of my "oat tests" from my other farm...

This pic is of exclusion cages with Jerry in the back one. You can see it's taller in the cage showing how much more they graze the Jerry. The near one is BFO and the cage is almost the same height as the rest of it, showing little grazing.

10-16ExclusionCages.jpg

This view shows forage oats and field peas on the far right planted August 15th, then BFO, Jerry, BFO and Jerry.

10-16OatPatch.jpg

A reverse angle of the same plots

10-16CerealGrains.jpg

It's interesting that they have grazed the forage oats (from nannyslayer) even though they are even more mature and the Jerry oats and rye but still have barely touched the BFO.

Little light frost but still nothing that would have a serious effect on the oats.

I'm hoping to watch this field some night and take some pics and video of usage perhaps this next week. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My oat plot isn't getting grazed much at all, and dispite all the talk that deer love oats I'm not a big believer. I think my rye plot is getting much more attention and I like the fact that I'm going to get more longevity out of it which means I may not plant oats again next fall. But that is just my opinon.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my rye plot is getting much more attention and I like the fact that I'm going to get more longevity out of it which means I may not plant oats again next fall </div></div>

I've been planting field rye for 40 years but oats for maybe 4-5 and rye has never failed to attract deer all fall, winter and spring.

Right now my rye is being hammered hard... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Paul,

Looks like 50's for highs next week and supposed to be middle 20's for lows. In your past experience will this kill the oats off??

Re: Cereal Grains - October 23rd Oats/Rye Frosts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Paul,

Looks like 50's for highs next week and supposed to be middle 20's for lows. In your past experience will this kill the oats off??

</div></div>

I expect it will, several frosts are one thing but mid 20's is a freeze and oats won't tolerate much of that!

Not quite so cold down here but it will start to test them for sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 55.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 56.
</div></div>

That's why I always plant rye also because it will last all winter... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Cereal Grains - October 23rd Oats/Rye Frosts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Paul,

</div></div>

I expect it will, several frosts are one thing but mid 20's is a freeze and oats won't tolerate much of that!

Not quite so cold down here but it will start to test them for sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 55.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 56.
</div></div>

That's why I always plant rye also because it will last all winter... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Have rye in there also.

I will probably only get to hunt over the oats once this weekend.

Hope the deer enjoyed them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Re: Cereal Grains - October 26th Oats/Rye Frosts

We've already had frosts hard enough to kill our flowers...

FrostedFlowers.jpg

but it hasn't been cold enough to affect either the Jerry or BFO oats.

Oct25JernBFO.jpg

Growth has slowed with the colder weather however

Oct25Oats.jpg

The rye I planted a few weeks after the oats is shorter and no doubt very tender and they are hammering it hard even though it is planted right next to the oats, clover and alfalfa

Oct25Rye.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VERY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL PLUNGE INTO THE REGION LATER TONIGHT, OCTOBER 26TH

TEMPERATURES WILL FALL BELOW FREEZING LATER TONIGHT OVER ALL THE
REGION.

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR
HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER
SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 23.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 49.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 28.

</div></div>

Brrrr! That is chilly and I suspect will toast the oats pretty hard but we'll wait and see.

This is buckwheat (the brown stuff) that died the first chilly night...anything even close to freezing will nuke buckwheat makig it a poor choice for a fall crop.

Oct25Buckwheat.jpg

Some other interesting notes...

The rye and brassicas broadcast into standing soybeans did very well and the rye at least is being hit.

RyenBrassicas.jpg

Shady plot...late rye on left, jerry oats on right

Shadedoatsnrye.jpg

I noticed a scrape in this hidden little spot as well

Scrapeinoats.jpg

Cereal grains are just so cheap and easy, hard to imagine not including them in a whitetail managment program.

I'll check the oats later in the week and see how/if the freeze affects them and post the results... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Cereal Grains - October 26th Oats/Rye Frosts

After reading this and seeing the kind of information above and all the work that was put into it... Do I get some kind of Agronomy Degree and do you get some kind of Honorary Doctorate Degree?!!? Wow, impressive and thanks for all the great stuff AS USUAL!!!! My wheels are already turning for next spring! Wonderful stuff!

Re: Cereal Grains - November 02nd Oats/Rye Frosts

It's been nearly a week since temps dropped to 23 degrees here in SE Iowa...what do our oats look like now? 23 degrees is pretty darn cold! A pretty serious freeze I would say...was it enough to nuke our plain old everyday run of the mill inexpensive Jerry oats?

Nope...

Jerry10-31.jpg

Both the Jerry oats ($16 for 64#'s) and BFO ($34 for 50#'s) still look the same... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Jerry on the right BFO on the left

JerryRBFOL10-31.jpg

These oats have been hit by several frosts and several freezes...

10-31Oats.jpg

BFO Left Jerry Right

BFOLJerryR10-31.jpg

I've already showed closeups that deer had been hammering the Jerry oats but scarcely touching the BFO's and now we know it takes more then a few nights of temps in the 20's to kill everyday oats.

At this point deer are grazing the rye to the ground and showing less interest in either of the oats, which...is why I mix oats and rye! The combination is a can't fail, never miss combo that will last all season....

but...hold on... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I always get some argument from those that happen to sell certain products that their oats are better then rye because....they (claim) to be higher in protein.

Being an old dairymen it's pretty hard to buffalo me because I understand forage testing and I believe university test versus what a seed salesmen tells me.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

So here are the hard cold facts on nutritive values of oats versus rye.

NDF, ADF and IVOMD is higher in oats then rye. What you say?? What on earth do those things mean??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Neutral detergent fiber (NDF)The insoluble portion of the forage (neutral detergent fiber) contains the cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin and silica. It is commonly referred to as the cell wall fraction.

Neutral detergent fiber has been shown to be negatively correlated with dry matter intake. In other words, as the NDF in forages increases, animals will be able to consume less forage. NDF increases with the advancing maturity of forages. A better prediction of forage intake can be made using NDF; therefore, better rations can be formulated.

Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF)

Acid detergent fiber is the portion of the forage that remains after treatment with a detergent under acid conditions. It includes the cellulose, lignin and silica.

Acid detergent fiber is important because it has been shown to be negatively correlated with how digestible a forage may be when fed. As the ADF increases, the forage becomes less digestible

In Vitro Organic Matter Digestibility (IVOMD)

in vitro (in glass or in test tube) procedures are seldom used for farm forage analysis. They are, however, commonly used by scientists to evaluate forage quality.

Most often, dry matter disappearance in a specific period of time is measured and this value will indicate how digestible a forage may be. The term in situ (in bag) may be used to describe the procedure where small nylon bags containing samples of forage are placed in the rumen of live animals consuming similar diets to the forage being evaluated.

This is done through a sealed external opening into the rumen of an animal, called a canula.

In vitro is usually a two-step procedure done in test tubes. First the forage sample is digested using rumen fluid from a donor animal to simulate rumen digestion. The sample is then digested in an enzyme solution to simulate digestion in the small intestine. Both in situ and in vitro are excellent techniques for forage evaluation when more expensive and time-consuming digestion or feeding trials are not possible.

Digestion trials are an excellent way to evaluate forages or other feeds for nutrient availability. In this procedure, the forage is fed to several animals. The amount of forage fed and feces produced in a 10 to 14 day period is recorded and sampled for analysis.

Because an analysis can be done on both the feed and the feces, it is possible to determine the digestibility for each nutrient in the feed. For example, the protein digestibility could calculate to be 75 percent digestible while the cell wall fractions may only be 59 percent digestible

</div></div>

The in vitro thing is pretty cool because they have cows with glass covers over and opening in their stomach...just reach in and get a "sample"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Anyway....the gist of it is this, regardless of what the crude protein level is, the undigestable part can lower the Relative Feed Value (RFV)

In universty tests I have seen rye tested higher in CP regardless but further testing also reveals that oats have lower digestability due to higher levels of NDF, ADF and IVOMD and lower crude protein even before factoring in the NDF!!

Catching all of that?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rye contained less (P&lt;0.05) NDF than all other forages.

oat had the highest average NDF content (P&lt;0.05), but there were no differences (P&gt;0.05) among other forages.

</div></div>

In summary, rye will have higher Relative Feed Value (RFV) then oats but...

so what?

My take on feed value in the fall is that it's pretty much a moot point!

Horns are already developed, fawns being weaned and deer have a cornucopia of food sources. On top of this they know...they know what they need, they don't need any testing to know what they should eat.

They will pick the food sources near them that are high in protein and energy and that are highly digestable at the same time. Livestock are fenced and they have little or no choice, so we endeavor to feed them the very best so they will gain faster or produce more milk.

I'm sharing all of this with you so you can sort out the facts from the B.S. when a salesmen or fancy ad has you wondering.

Deer right now are hammering my rye over oats and alfalfa more then anything else...they don't need me or a fancy ad to tell them what they need. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The following links will further explain and help you and help you sort through the hype...

Forage Nutrition for Ruminants

Nutritive value of fall-grown cereal-grain forages

Yield and Quality of Small Grains

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harvesting Florida 401 rye and Sunland triticale at the boot stage averaged <span style="color: #FF0000">14% crude protein </span>whereas, the oats and wheat averaged <span style="color: #FF0000">10 to 11% crude protein </span>at the same stage.

Digestibility was also excellent for all small grains when harvested at the boot stage averaging 78% for triticale, 72% for rye and wheat and 67% for oats. </div></div>

I don't sell seed...just share facts.... rye will out perform oats and regular spring oats are more attractive and a better value then the tested winter hardy oat /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I get some kind of Agronomy Degree ?!!? </div></div>

We'll allow Skip to make up class after deer season... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Nov.2 Winter Rye/Clover. They are hitting the rye hard hopefully they will continue right through late muzzy!

DSC02225.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nov.2 Winter Rye/Clover. They are hitting the rye hard hopefully they will continue right through late muzzy!

DSC02225.jpg
</div></div>

Nice work on the rye Limb! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

They'll be hitting it during late muzzy and don't forget the rye field will be a great shed hunting spot too.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Antlerintherye.jpg

More facts on the high nutritive value of winter rye as a forage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Along with the high yield potential and early-spring grazing that winter rye can offer, producers need to consider the forage quality characteristics of rye.

High-quality grasses have &gt;18% crude protein (CP), &lt; 35% acid detergent fiber (ADF), and &lt; 55% neutral detergent fiber (NDF).

The ADF and NDF values are indicators of the digestibility and the potential intake of the forage.

In Ohio studies, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>CP levels of rye were as high as 34%, ADF values as low as 17%, and NDF values as low as 28%</span>. When rye is grazed in the vegetative stage, <span style="color: #FF0000">it is highly digestible </span>and intake is not limited, making it more suitable for livestock with high nutritional needs. </div></div>

Winter Rye

Re: Cereal Grains - November 25th Oats/Rye Freezes

November is drawing to a close and it's been a wild month, from extemely warm weather to 12 degrees! I've lost track of the nights it dropped well in to the mid to low teens.

Water frozen in the creeks tells you were not talking about a couple "light frosts" here... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

So lets take a look at the different oats and the winter rye...how do they look, how has usage been and how they all stack up at this stage of the game.

As with the brassicas I have the test plots on two different farms 20 miles apart with completely different deer and surrounding crop/cover situations.

The home place does not have quite as high of deer density and my plots are all adjacent to all major food sources from corn, soybeans and alfalfa. The plots themselves contain various white and red clovers, brassicas, two types of oats and rye grain.

They can afford to be choosey and usually are, so if they like something I can assure you they'll most likely eat it anywhere.

This pic shows both BFO and Jerry oats and there are two strips of each in this pic. Both are still green as of 11-22-08 but only the Jerry oats have been heavily grazed.

11-21OatTestPlots.jpg

Jerry oats, you can see have been grazed hard and are starting to show the stress a little.
JerryBrowsing.jpg

These are the same oats but up close to a ground blind where they are wary of getting to close and you can see they are still lush and green despite the frigid temps.

11-21JerryOatsVB.jpg

This is BFO in the same plot that has seen some light grazing

BFOBrowsing.jpg

The winter rye has however been grazed to the ground! They love rye and if I only had one choice it would be rye!

11-21Rye.jpg

This rye and some brassicas was sown into standing soys on 9-15 and it's been driven on as they combined and turned on the headland.

11-21Ryeplanted9-15.jpg

Now the other farm, they eat everything...literally, so it's a little harder to compare because they just don't care! If it's edible it's going down the hatch! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

In this pic, oats planted Aug 15th with peas are on the far left, then strips of BFO, Jerry and the far right strips have some winter rye included that was broadcast on several weeks later (into the planted oats)

11-21OatPatch.jpg

As in the pics from the other farm, the Jerry is showing signs of stress because they hammered it so hard. This is from heavy grazing rather then the cold.

OatPatch.jpg

11-21Jerryoats.jpg

This is a closeup of how heavily they have grazed the Jerry spring oats

JerryGrazedoats.jpg

They finally decided to eat the BFO on this farm along with the Jerry but up until recently they wouldn't touch it.

BFO-1.jpg

The fall/winter rye grain has been heavily grazed

11-21Winterrye.jpg

The most economical and effective cereal grain planting is without a doubt a mix of spring pats (such as Jerry or a good forage oat such as Frank) and field rye.

You can be assured of planting a foos source that they will be very attracted to without spending a fortune on seed with a "Big Buck" on the bag... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Now...a few other thoughts.

For the most tender oats and rye, shoot for early to mid September especially if you have low deer densities.

What about planting earlier?

These oats were planted Aug 15th with peas and have also been heavily grazed, however I suspect on my other farm they would have been passed over now for more tender younger oats.

OatsnPeas11-21planted8-15-1.jpg

These oats were volunteer from tilling down mature spring oats on August 1st, again they have been grazed but perhaps in an unfair comparison and I wouldn't advocate planting them this early. They were forage oats from nannyslayer and obviously deer love them!

11-21OatsplantedAug1.jpg

What about mixing with brassicas?

If you plant in early September and sow the bassicas very very thinly (1-2#'s per acre) and use nitrogen it can work but maximum forage production will come from planting seperately and planting brassicas in late July and oats in early September.

This pic is of oats and a last minute toss of some brassica seed down the center on September 1st and it has also been driven over by harvesting equipment.

11-21Brassicasinoatsplanted9-01.jpg

Notice that were the brassicas are thicker, there are no oats!

This is a closeup of the brassicas in the center and you will be hard pressed to find any oats!

Tothick-1.jpg

A sprinkling of brassica seed before packing will be ok but that stuff is fine seed so you need to practically run as you sow it with the seeder on the lowest setting! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BTW...the doggone deer at the second farm even knocked my exclusion cages over so as not to miss nary a morsel! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Tippedcage.jpg

I had them staked but that didn't phase them in the slightest.

It's still a challenge to plant something on this farm that will last through the seasons until January and winter rye seems to be one of the only food sources that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Share some photos of your cereal grain combos as the season progresses so others can see what works and what doesn't. Include planting dates and other info if you can... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Feel free to email me pics if your not comfortable posting yourself: dbltree2000@yahoo.com

Re: Cereal Grains - mid December

Mid December now and we are past the rut and first shotgun season here in Iowa, which for many of us make up the bulk of our hunting.

Late muzzleloader and archery still remain however and it's nice to know what will last into the late season and if it lasts, will deer actually eat it?

A close up of the Jerry oats shows that they have grazed it heavily

Grazedjerry.jpg

while the BFO oats, though still green, still remain largely untouched!

UntouchedBFO.jpg

This pic shows a hidden semi shaded plot with Jerry oats to the right and still fairly green. Rye was planted to the left and in this small area they had grubbed it clean to the ground!!

Hiddenjerry12-12.jpg

As expected the BFO stayed green longer, however it's a moot point if they refuse to eat it. This is something I never expected but they just really don't like it!

BFOnJerry.jpg

My high deer density farm they have eaten everything in sight, including the BFO that they hadn't eaten earlier.

However they have shown a clear preference to the winter rye (field rye/fall rye grain...NOT ryegrass!) and grazed it to the dirt. I took a pic but it really reveals nothing be there is scarcely anything left. Had I planted more rye versus oats it would have been better able to withstand the heavy grazing.

All I can say is that field rye that lasts ALL winter at 12 bucks a bag and that deer clearly love, certainly makes more sense then BFO that is nearly 40 bucks a bag and deer don't care for.

DeecOatpatch.jpg

Where a person spends their money is none of my business but if you want the best results at a resonable price, stick with field rye and throw a few forage oats in with it.

If they don't eat that combination your deer have something more attractive nearby such as corn or standing soybeans.

Great post again.

So werent we on the kick that deer preferred the oats over the rye earlier in the year?

I havent been out to my rye/oats patch in a month, but it appeared to m,e on my plot, that the deer like the straight rye than the rye/oats mix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post again.

So werent we on the kick that deer preferred the oats over the rye earlier in the year?

I havent been out to my rye/oats patch in a month, but it appeared to m,e on my plot, that the deer like the straight rye than the rye/oats mix.

</div></div>

I have always felt that rye was preferred but they do love oats so it's always "debatable" to that end.

My testing was more to test the merits of extremely expensive highly advertised and touted oats versus regular spring oats that are readily available and very inexpensive and how oats in general compared to rye.

My end result is that rye alone would be perfectly fine and oats could be left out of the equation altogeter, but I like to mix them because oats are also a tender succulant draw early on.

I believe that these tests put to rest any doubts about the merits of plain, regular oats and rye compared to oats with a "big buck" on the bag and a 40 dollar price tag...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Great updates Paul! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif My winter-wheat/rye plot never got very tall either. I forgot to put up a cage for comparison. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I was wondering if this stuff will take off again in the spring for the turkeys to enjoy, or will I have to frost seed some fresh seed into the plot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Great updates Paul! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif My winter-wheat/rye plot never got very tall either. I forgot to put up a cage for comparison. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I was wondering if this stuff will take off again in the spring for the turkeys to enjoy, or will I have to frost seed some fresh seed into the plot? </div></div>

No need to do anything Skully, both winter rye and winter wheat will green up in the spring and grow like crazy!

You may need to clip it to keep it short enough for turkeys to strut in, into May, otherwise your good to go... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Looks like my left over BFO will be used for cover crop for the alfalfa and winter rye will be my cereal grain next fall.

The deer on my property hit the oats hard all the way through November but are focused 100% on the alfalfa now that the temps have dropped sub zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Great updates Paul! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif My winter-wheat/rye plot never got very tall either. I forgot to put up a cage for comparison. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I was wondering if this stuff will take off again in the spring for the turkeys to enjoy, or will I have to frost seed some fresh seed into the plot? </div></div>

No need to do anything Skully, both winter rye and winter wheat will green up in the spring and grow like crazy!

You may need to clip it to keep it short enough for turkeys to strut in, into May, otherwise your good to go... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

</div></div>

Awesome! Just the news I was wanting to hear! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom