Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clethodim rates

Darron

I will be spraying my clover plots here soon. My plots are fairly small (1/8th-1/2 acre) in size. I will be using a backpack sprayer that holds up to 4 gallons of water (although I usually only fill it up to 3 gallons). When reading the label on clethodim, it said for spot spraying and hand sprayers to use .33-.65oz of clethodim per gallon of water and 1.33oz of concentrated crop oil per gallon of water. Does that sound right? Will that give me a decent kill on most grasses?

Therefore I would use roughly 2.5oz of clethodim total for 3 gallons and 4oz of crop oil.

Will this give me a decent kill or should I up the rates some? If I had to guess my backpack sprayer walking at a decent clip would cover around 1/2 acre maybe a tad more. I just want to get the best burn possible without killing my clover.

Thoughts?

just sprayed my clover and brassicas and some alfalfa last week with a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and i used 2 oz to 4 gallons with about 2 cups of crop oil.. i got a good kill on the grasses so far

With Clethodim, I always go on the higher allowable rates. You're gonna need to do some math here of course, you already know that..... At the end of the day I personally would put 20-28 oz per acre down of Clethodim and add your crop oil on top of that. I'd saturate your grasses more heavily of course since you have the luxury of being able to spot spray them. I think the label is calling for 10-25 oz per acre (something in a wide range I would imagine) BUT I have had far better success going HEAVY with Clethodim. Good luck!

So lets say for instance I am getting an acre coverage with my BP sprayer. Therefore, I would mix in 20-28oz of cleth???? I just had someone PM me and recommend me using 8oz per acre. Seems like there is a broad range of rates for this herbicide. Can you kill the clover if you put down too much?

The label says to use 1.3 oz per gallon of cop oil. Is this also on the light side?

I use 8 ounces per acre, just mix that with whatever amount of water your sprayer will hold to do an acre along with 1 to 2 quarts of crop oil. It works better if you mow first and let the grasses get started back after a couple weeks. It doesn't work that great if the grass is real mature.

Last edited:
There is a broad range. You very well might get away with the low end - 8 oz but I never have. I have a far better kill at the higher rates. You sure can give it a whirl though!

I think it differs if you're using Select Maxx versus Select 2EC.. I think you have to double the rate with Select Maxx if I remember correctly

Top Bottom