Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Re: Clover/Tecomate Monster Mix

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a dumb question but figure if I ask publicly then I save someone else the trouble.

I have rye growing in my clover that was put in as a cover crop last fall for a new no-till plot. Should I kill the rye ASAP to prevent competition? Is its usefulness done? Other than the rye, my main concern in my plots is broadleaf weeds so this directs my next herbicide step. </div></div>

You can also kill the rye with Select Max or Assure. 2-4-D B works on broadleafs in clover, but with my experience with it, it is marginal on how it will kill the broadleafs.

Re: Clover/Rye - clip or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a dumb question but figure if I ask publicly then I save someone else the trouble

I have rye growing in my clover that was put in as a cover crop last fall for a new no-till plot. Should I kill the rye ASAP to prevent competition? Is its usefulness done? Other than the rye, my main concern in my plots is broadleaf weeds so this directs my next herbicide step. </div></div>

You can also kill the rye with Select Max or Assure. 2-4-D B works on broadleafs in clover, but with my experience with it, it is marginal on how it will kill the broadleafs. </div></div>

So far many of us have found that rye is not as competitive with clover as you might think. Clipping or spraying can be done but I have found no problems just leaving it mature and then clipping as the clover needs it.

Either way, no hurry at the moment as it is still acting to suppress weeds and it is not competing (yet) with your new clover seedlings. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more question. I have a very hard to get to area only accessible by ATV.
I have no mower at this time. Would clover be the ticket?
I am assuming this will need to be planted at a later date? I want a perennial there so hopefully all I will have to do is spray the weeds and watch it grow.
</div></div>

In a situation like that, I would spray it this fall (mow it or weedwhack it if you can)and then frost seed clover next winter.

Plant only white clovers that will be short and easy to maintain by spraying as needed with a backpack sprayer.

You can hand spread lime pellets and fertilizer in the fall or winter.

This is the frost seeded clover at the begining of this thread on April 4th.

The deer have been hammering it and the extreme cold burned it a little as well.

04-04yearoldclover.jpg

This is the clover I summer seeded last August.:

FallseedinginApril.jpg

It's sweet and tender and the deer are trying to graze it to the ground right now. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hey dbltree,

Looking good /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We're looking to establish a couple of plots on a new piece this spring, and I've got a couple of "newbie" questions for you.

Is the Arrest product sold by the Whitetail Institute essentially the same as Poast? If so, it looks like Poast would be a much more cost effective grass control. Second, will Poast kill chicory if it is blended in with the clover? Thanks.

NWBuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Arrest product sold by the Whitetail Institute essentially the same as Poast? If so, it looks like Poast would be a much more cost effective grass control. Second, will Poast kill chicory if it is blended in with the clover?

NWBuck </div></div>

Yes..Arrest contains the exact same active ingredient ( sethoxydim ) as Poast.

Poast and Poast Plus contain the same ingredient but Poast is 18% and Poast Plus is 13%.

Select or Trigger ( clethodim ) is only labeled for clover in the NW (Oregon and Washington) but is actually supposed to be safer on alflafa and clover. Those that have tried it say it is better and available in gallon sizes.

The cost per acre is the same as Poast and Select 2 EC, Select Max or generic version Arrow will prove far more effective then Poast.

Poast and Select are grass herbicides, so they safe for your chicory...2-4DB is not safe for chicory since it is a broadleaf herbicide.

You should be able to find Poast Plus or Select at your local ag supply but if not here is an On line source

You can compare almost all popular herbicide labels in the Herbicide thread at the top of this forum.

If any are missing let me know and I'll add them...then you can compare apples to apples or sethoxydim to sethoxydim

Thanks dbltree...you are a wealth of valuable information for the weekend warrior farmer wannabe's such as myself.

Final question...well maybe. We are thinking of a blend of a white and ladino clover with chicory. Is there a product available safe for grass control in such a plot? Other than a mower that is /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks again.

NWBuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are thinking of a blend of a white and ladino clover with chicory. Is there a product available safe for grass control in such a plot? </div></div>

Yes...all the grass herbicides mentioned will be safe to use on white and red clover as well as chicory.

Select, Arrow, Poast, or Hi-Yield grass killer (note do not use Hi-Yield grass AND weed killer!) will all be safe for your blend of clovers and chicory.

Poast has been highly advertised but Select has proven more effective at the samerate per acre /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

RECURRING QUESTIONS ON GRASS CONTROL IN FORAGE PLOTS

BUTYRAC 200 BROADLEAF HERBICIDE or Slay herbicide you CANNOT use.

i've had better success planting clover in the fall compared to spring plantings in s.e. kansas. my spring clover plantings usually fall victim to grass competition early ~ i don't use herbicide which might really make a difference helping the clover get established.

imo, the best tip for planting clover is to plant winter rye as a nurse crop. winter rye (not rye grass) has alleopathic effects when planted w/ clover. basically, this means the rye provides natural "weed control" while the clover has a chance to establish. i let the rye grow thru the spring (turkeys love it) instead of mowing. by mid july, the rye is dead and there's a very clean stand of clover.

early april winter rye/ladino clover plot
aprilgreenery3wi.jpg

june winter rye/ladino clover plot
ltrye36gq.jpg

july plot
juneclover34of.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i've had better success planting clover in the fall compared to spring plantings in s.e. kansas. my spring clover plantings usually fall victim to grass competition early ~ i don't use herbicide which might really make a difference helping the clover get established.
</div></div>

I've always preferred late summer/early fall seedings myself.

Yours looks fantastic! I think pharmer has done exactly the same thing with rye with also great results.

Thanks for sharing the pics and info /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

i try to prep and plant before labor day. i don't step foot back in the plot after planting. i want the plot to "quiet down" for the 6-8 weeks preceding the rut.

it worked last year. stuck a nice 10 pointer in early november.

Re: Clover/ IWC mix

I recieved my IWC the other day...seed tag reads:

32.46% Wina Brand Berseem Clover
15.92% Advantage Ladino Clover
8.66% Insight Ladino Clover
8.62% Wina Brand Ladino Clover
33.80% Seed Coating

4#'s at $29.99 plus shipping is nearly $8.00 a pound.

I've planted IWC several times over the years and it always does well but for me personally it goes aginst the grain that nearly 70% of this mix is either cheap annual Berseem clover or seed coating /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

32.46% Berseem Clover!!! Berseem is great BUT...it is an annual clover and it is a very inexpensive clover...so YOU be the judge! Why on earth would anyone want to pay an exorbitant price for a bag of clover that contains very little of what you really want...white clover... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

If it was 90% ladino clover I'd be ok with it. Berseem clover cannot be frost seeded so if your planning that route...your throwing away half the seed in the bag.

I have seen some CP tests on IWC but it didn't test any higher then other ladino clovers.

Companies such as WI, Biologic and others rely on the fact that MOST landonwers are not knowledgeable enough about the seed they are buying to know one seed from another...they know that the pretty pictures on the bag will sell their product at a more then premium price..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I'm kind of looking forward to planting all these mixes in side by side plots and see what the heck happens. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Would this be a good mix?
1/3 Kopu II White Clover
1/3 Jumbo Ladino White Clover
1/3 Berseen Clover

At 10 pounds per acre?

And then use oats as a cover crop?

How do you plant the oats? In the clover mix or before or after? Do you have to have to pack the oats in?

Thanks everyone!

I just ordered today, and here's the mix:

12 lbs. each of: ladino clover, Alice white clover and Oasis forage chicory. Blended together, this will go on a couple of plots totalling about 3-4 acres. Obviously, we'll need a Poast application to help with grass control post emergence.

NWBuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered today, and here's the mix:

12 lbs. each of: ladino clover, Alice white clover and Oasis forage chicory. Blended together, this will go on a couple of plots totalling about 3-4 acres. Obviously, we'll need a Poast application to help with grass control post emergence.

NWBuck </div></div>

Just out of couriosity, why does everyone like the Poast herbicide? Not trying to step on anyones toes or make anyone mad, I just see that herbicide brought up alot in this forum for legumes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would this be a good mix?
1/3 Kopu II White Clover
1/3 Jumbo Ladino White Clover
1/3 Berseen Clover

At 10 pounds per acre?

And then use oats as a cover crop?

How do you plant the oats? In the clover mix or before or after? Do you have to have to pack the oats in?

Thanks everyone! </div></div>

That should be a good mix just remember the berseem is an annual but it will grow fast and give some good first year forage.

You don't have to plant with oats as you can use herbicide or clipping when needed but oats will provide some spring feed and hold down weeds.

You either have to clip it or spray it later as it may get to heavy and actually be to much competition for the seedlings. (baling it works great if you have a farmer who needs some hay!)

I till the ground, broadcast the oats, cultipack them to cover the seed.

Then broadcast the clover seed and re-pack the clover seed into the now firm surface.

Remember it's critical not to bury clover or alfalfa seed while oats and other grains should be a little deeper.

Check the cereal grain thread to see how I plant grains.

If you don't have a packer, a lawn roller or running an ATV back n forth over it until covered will work.

Check back earlier in this thread to see how to prepare for and sow clover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of couriosity, why does everyone like the Poast herbicide? Not trying to step on anyones toes or make anyone mad, I just see that herbicide brought up alot in this forum for legumes. </div></div>

I think perhaps ( sethoxydim ) Poast has just been advertised and marketed to plotters more then Select or Arrow ( clethodim ).

Costs vary and generics are cheaper but Poast at .5, 1.0, 1.5 pints per acre runs $4.0, $8.20, $12.50 an acre.

Select 2EC at 4 oz, 6 oz, 8oz runs $5. $8.75 and $11.60 per acre.

Hopefully we can educate plotters via this forum on the benefits of using Select over Poast for grass control in many broadleaf plantings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would now with the wet spring be a good time to get the clover and oats in? </div></div>

Spring is a good time...but don't try and work wet ground! Let it dry out a before you plant.

I've got plenty to plant myself but only when/if it dries out.

Then of course we have to hope it doesn't turn out to be a dry summer as they have been predicting... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

So i have found the place to get my questions answered /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

I am planting a few areas into clover, brassica, and turnup mixes I am going to be seeding quite a few areas with a no-till drill. The areas I am seeding into are pasture right now. I think it would be easiest to seed into the pasture and them turn around and spray the grasses after seeding. My reason for thinking this is because the no-till drill was made especially for those conditions. Is this a good way or does anybody have a better idea. The products I am using are Antler kings clover mix this spring and then planting my other plots this fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i have found the place to get my questions answered :).
I am planting a few areas into clover, brassica, and turnup mixes I am going to be seeding quite a few areas with a no-till drill. The areas I am seeding into are pasture right now. I think it would be easiest to seed into the pasture and them turn around and spray the grasses after seeding. My reason for thinking this is because the no-till drill was made especially for those conditions. Is this a good way or does anybody have a better idea. The products I am using are Antler kings clover mix this spring and then planting my other plots this fall. </div></div>

No-till drills can work great my only thought for clover or brassicas would be to run a cultipacker behind it...unless it has packer wheels, in which case you should be good to go.

You can spray after planting as the coulters may tear up the sod depending on how "aggressive" they are.

Top Bottom