Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
It is suppose to have a weel that rolls behind and packs it. I havent seen it yet it is coming on the truck tomorrow so I am getting excited. Thanks

Re: Clover/ Durana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is suppose to have a wheel that rolls behind and packs it. I havent seen it yet it is coming on the truck tomorrow so I am getting excited. Thanks </div></div>

Cool! Let us know how it works and post some pics of your seeding whe it gets going. Should be "packer wheels" behind the coulter on each row.

I recieved my Durana clover also...runs about $7 a pound.

Supposed to be very drought resistant and long lived.

Durana White Clover

Perennial Powerhouse

Re: Clover/ Durana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you purchase your Durana clover? </div></div>

I used Seedland.com to purchase all the clover mixes including Durana.

Everything else I purchased thru Welter seed

Re: Clover / planting

I planted all my clover plots last week along with a nurse crop of oats.

IWCseed.jpg

32.46% Wina Brand Berseem Clover
15.92% Advantage Ladino Clover
8.66% Insight Ladino Clover
8.62% Wina Brand Ladino Clover
33.80% Seed Coating

4#'s at $29.99 plus shipping is nearly $8.00 a pound

TecomateMonsterMix.jpg

24.98% Barblanca White Clover
19.63% Forage Feast Chicory
16.48% Tripoli White Clover
9.88 % Manna Berseem Clover
9.84 % Mammoth Red Clover
18.54% Coating Material

BiologicCloverPlus.jpg

Biologic New Zealand Clover Plus

15.45% Border Balansa Clover (annual)
14.25% Tigri Berseem Clover (annual)
13.10% Rivendel White Clover
7.86% Kenland Red Clover (lasts approx. 2 years)
5.15% 6 point Chicory
4.50% Timaru 2 Chicory
3.85% Waimak White Clover
3.35% Temuka White Clover
31.92% Inert Matter (coating material)

Border Balansa Annual Clover
Origin and Breeding
Was bred by SGA and is a very prolific annual clover suitable for mixed and difficult soil types. Border is quick maturing (105 days to 50% flowering) and is suitable for grazing or single cut forage production. It has highly perfumed white flowers.

Berseem clover is an annual clover that is very inexpensive seed available from a source such as Welters

DuranaClover.jpg

Durana White Clover

Seed Source

Inoculant.jpg

I made up my own mix of the following clover and alfalfa from Welter Seed

Alice White Clover

Kopu II White Clover

Jumbo Ladino White Clover

Grazer Brand Alfalfa

They pay 1/2 the shipping on legumes and most is already inoculated, however for 4 bucks...I add fresh Clover Inoculate

This seed mix was $3.65 a pound and contains NO cheap annual or red clovers.

All of the seed was pre-inoculated but I added fresh.

Mix a very small amount of water to just moisten the seed and stir in the inoculant which looks like peat.

We tilled several times and broadcast about 2 bushel per acre of oats, then ran the cultipacker over it.

Before broadcasting the clover seed it looked like this:

Cultipackedoncereadyforclover.jpg

I then broadcasted the clover seed onto the firmly packed soil surface and re-packed it to cover it.

Cultipacker-2.jpg

A cultipacker, lawn roller or ATV tires are very important when planting clover...press it in...don't drag it or you will bury it.

I tilled in fertilizer...ph was ok.

Now for some warm spring rains /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Paul, Looks good! On your clover, alfalfa mix what ratio did you use and how much did you use per acre?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On your clover, alfalfa mix what ratio did you use and how much did you use per acre? </div></div>

I mixed a 1/4 each so the mix is 3/4 clover and 1/4 Grazer alfalfa.

Stand alone rates call for 2-4# of clover but 15-18# of alfalfa so I split the diff. and used 8# per acre of the mix.

One could go heavier with alfalfa or mix any combination but I didn't want the alfalfa to dominate in this case.

I hope others will post pics and progress of thier own mixes including commercial blends for comparison.

I've planted these clovers but just haven't added alfalfa yet...stay tuned! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Squeezed a quick trip to woods after work and between storms to look for shrooms. My clover plot is looking good and starting to grow well. I noticed a few spots with some yellow colored leaves in the clover. I had added some pelletized lime a few weeks ago. If it were heavy in spots would that cause the yellow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squeezed a quick trip to woods after work and between storms to look for shrooms. My clover plot is looking good and starting to grow well. I noticed a few spots with some yellow colored leaves in the clover. I had added some pelletized lime a few weeks ago. If it were heavy in spots would that cause the yellow? </div></div>

I doubt it's from the lime...at least I've never known it to cause a problem on growing plants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Use lime at the recommended rate. Lime will work best if applied before planting and incorporated, but don't think all is lost and not use it if you waited too long. If your soil pH is highly acidic, applying lime at any time and in any manner is better than not using it at all. </div></div>

The lime will dissolve slowly so if you just put it on recently it wouldn't even have time to cause a problem if to heavy.(and that would have to be an extreme amount)

I was going to take a pic of each type of clover as it came up...but they all came up very quickly and each brand/mix looked exactly like the other after a week.

Cloverseedlings.jpg

That pic was nearly 10 days ago so it should be going to town after all the rain /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This is some Alice white clover planted late last summer, after it's been froze off and re-growing a few weeks ago.

AliceWhiteClover.jpg

You can almost always expect the most growth the second year but clover is generally not long lived like alfalfa...3-5 years depending on the care you give it.

This is my Alice white clover going into it's second year planted on somewhat poor clay soils.

2ndyearAlice.jpg

This is Alice white clover planted last summer. Even though I got a great kill via Roundup...grasses still come back:

LastsummerAliceclover.jpg

Clipping will take care of some of the weeds but eventually I think I'll try spraying with Select to kill the grasses.

This is a shot of some of this springs new clover and oats. At this point I can see no difference in germination or growth rates of any of the various clover mixes I planted.

Oatsnclover.jpg

I wanted to include a pic of Ghosts clover because it is one of the finest clover plots I've ever seen.

It's an example of what clover can look like when PH and fertility requirements have been met by proper soil testing and planting on moist fertile soil.

8372007clover2.JPG

Soil type is important in deciding bewteen clover an alfalfa as clover prefers more moist less well drained soil.

A little research will also tell you which varieties of white clovers can survive drought on poor soils as well.

Alice and Durana were selected for those qualities for example.

Now is the time to keep an eye on your clover and keep it clipped if it starts to blossom and get stemmy.

It's at this point that white clovers are much more manageable then taller heavier red clovers.

One of my plots actually exceeded expectation and grew some nice looking clover. Can't tell that anything has touched it though. When do they utilize it most? Corn and beans are just emerging in our area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my plots actually exceeded expectation and grew some nice looking clover. Can't tell that anything has touched it though. When do they utilize it most? Corn and beans are just emerging in our area. </div></div>

Mine is full of beds and the tops are nipped off but they also have plenty to choose from right now so usage is not "intense".

This is a last summer Alice seeding with plenty of grass coming up also even though I killed it with Roundup last summer.

I clipped it after this pic and eventually may spray with Select grass herbicide.

AliceClover.jpg

This is the Biologic clover/chicory mix last week. The chicory shows up most:

Biologiccloverchicory.jpg

This is Tecomate which also shows plenty of chicory growth. The clover is very tiny and difficult to see in the pics.

Tecomatechicoryclover.jpg

This is the clover mix I put together from Welters (contents of which are listed earlier in this thread)

I'm surprised at how much larger the clover seedlings are. All were planted the same day and within yards of each other.

WelterClovermix.jpg

No explanation why but it's doing the best at this point:

Weltermix2.jpg

All of these test plots are on what I consider poor clay soils so none are likley to produce fantastic results.

It is a good test however to compare varieties under less then favorable conditions.

Do you get better results with Select? I sprayed the max rate with Poast Plus and didn't kill any grasses. I'm getting ready to clip it and try again in a few days. I sprayed back when the grasses were 6". Also do you see much grazing on the chicory? The only time I see them eating it is after a hard frost.

Do you get better results with Select? I sprayed the max rate with Poast Plus and didn't kill any grasses. I'm getting ready to clip it and try again in a few days. I sprayed back when the grasses were 6". Also do you see much grazing on the chicory? The only time I see them eating it is after a hard frost.

I've heard more then a few comments that Poast Plus wasn't doing the job on grasses but just the opposite with Select.

If it was me...I'd be complaining to your field rep about the Poast and based on what I'm hearing I wouldn't reccomend it anymore.

Last edited:
I've heard more then a few comments that Poast Plus wasn't doing the job on grasses but just the opposite with Select.

If it was me...I'd be complaining to your field rep about the Poast and based on what I'm hearing I wouldn't reccomend it anymore.

I was wondering when you would find that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
<span style="color: #FF0000">Select will kill the fire out of grasses and will not touch your clover if used at the recommended rates</span>. We use 10-12 oz/acre on most sites and the results are amazing.

You can mix this with 2-4 DB to get broadleaves as well. The DB WILL cause varying amounts of burn on the legumes but they bounce back great if growing conditions are decent.

The DB will get the bigger stuff if you put on 3 qt's/acre but you may not like the looks of your clover for a while after you spray....Just my 3 cents (inflation).

Best,
Rich

Select will kill the fire out of grasses and will not touch your clover if used at the recommended rates. We use 10-12 oz/acre on most sites and the results are amazing. You can mix this with 2-4 DB to get broadleaves as well. The DB WILL cause varying amounts of burn on the legumes but they bounce back great if growing conditions are decent. The DB will get the bigger stuff if you put on 3 qt's/acre but you may not like the looks of your clover for a while after you spray....Just my 3 cents (inflation).

Best,
Rich

Thanks Rich! Check this link for the generic version which might save a few bucks: Arrow Label

This is a source for Arrow but I you can buy Select and Arrow for less at local Ag supply outlets (elevator, seed fertilizer suppliers)

ARROW GRASS HERBICIDE

Last edited:
what clip height do you guys usually mow your clover at? I only have access to a garden tractor and at the tallest setting it mulches down the clover pretty good so I was wondering if clipping too low was a concern?

Top Bottom