Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Conservation Cost Share Programs

dbltree

Super Moderator
There are many great federal and state cost share programs that can be very helpful in establishing new/better habitat and conservation practices.

Sometimes it's difficult to keep track of all of them so I'm going to list the ones I'm aware of and if I'm missing any...please post them here in this thread.

Many if not most programs can be accessed through your local NRCS office but IDNR forestors and private lands biologists can help get you started as well.

WHIP

The Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) is a voluntary program for people who want to develop and improve wildlife habitat primarily on private land. Through WHIP USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service provides both technical assistance and up to 75 percent cost-share assistance to establish and improve fish and wildlife habitat. WHIP agreements between NRCS and the participant generally last from 5 to 10 years from the date the agreement is signed.

EQIP

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) is a voluntary conservation program. It supports production agriculture and environmental quality as compatible goals. Through EQIP, farmers may receive financial and technical help with structural and management conservation practices on agricultural land.

2009 EQUIP Practice List

TSI and Brush Management are just a couple examples of cost share programs available at 50% cost share.

Conservation Reserve Program

FSA/CRP

The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is a voluntary program for agricultural landowners. Through CRP, you can receive annual rental payments and cost-share assistance to establish long-term, resource conserving covers on eligible farmland.

Guide to Continuous CRP Practices

CSP

Conservation Security Program (CSP) The CSP is a voluntary program that provides financial and technical assistance to producers who advance the conservation and improvement of soil, water, air, energy, plant and animal life, and other conservation purposes on Tribal and private working lands. Such lands include cropland, grassland, prairie land, improved pasture, and range land, as well as forested land and other non-cropped areas that are an incidental part of the agriculture operation.

WRP

Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP) Wetlands were restored or enhanced on 4,447 acres in Iowa during FY2007 with assistance from the Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP). These restored wetlands provide important flood reduction as well as wildlife habitat and other environmental benefits. More than 137,000 acres of wetlands have been restored or are in the process of being restored under wetland easement programs in Iowa since 1992.

A Guide to Conservation Programs for Iowa Landowners

This guide is a list of all programs that may offer cost share assistance providing funding is available.

FSA Conservation Program Information

If you register through USDA you can apply for some programs online as well.

The Iowa DNR can offer assistance with many programs as well, some of which may be funded through REAP.

Cost-Share Programs Available for Private Landowners in Iowa

Programs are available to provide cost-share reimbursement to private landowners who are engaged in wildlife habitat related conservation work. Practices such as seeding native grasses and forbs, wetland restoration, woody invasion removal, prescribed fire, early successional habitat creation, and habitat improvements for species of greatest conservation need may be eligible for cost-sharing on private lands.

That link will also provide a link to Private Lands Biologist's in your area who will be happy to help assist you.

***NOTE*** some PLB have thier own equipment and will want to do the work for you which is fine. You will need to pay the difference if there is 50 or 75% costs share. In many cases such as planting trees, prairiegrass seedings or timber stand improvment you may be able to do the work yourself and pay yourself and save some money....keep that in mind...

Resource Enhancement and Protection (REAP)

Timber Stand Improvment (TSI) and Tree Planting are two cost share practices that may be funded through REAP

SAFE CRP

Up to 27,700 acres of land can be enrolled in a continuous CRP called SAFE, which stands for State Acres for Wildlife Enhancement.

Programs like SAFE are limited and many have already exhuasted quotas but they do pop up and we need to be awareand ready to apply should we have land or situations that will qualify.

Iowa DNR Districts and District Foresters

Our district foresters are an excellent place to start when considering projects like tree planting or timber stand improvment. They will walk your property and timber with you and explore possible improvments. They most likely will not understand when you talk about "knocking over" some "junk trees" for bedding areas however.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Private Lands Management Assistance

This link has sample plans to help you with improving your timber with TSI for which cost share is available as well. TSI can be hired out in which case you will pay the difference or with some help from you forestor and some friendly advice right here on IW, you can do it yourself and pay yourself.

Some tax incentives include:

Iowa's Forest Reserve Law

I encourage you to read the law carefully but most timber not being pastured will qualify.

Native Prairie, Wetland, and Wildlife Habitat Tax Exemption

I also urge you to ecplore and read through allof the links for other possibles such as conservation easments, low interest loans for building ponds and fish for stocking them. No one is going to lead you to these things..you need to do some home work and find out what is available.

Private organizations are also good sources to keep in mind for free or low cost seed, planning and planting prairie and tree plantings depending on where you live in the state.

Pheasants Forever (PF) is one well worth joining and being aware of all that they have to offer.

It varies by county and it may require checking with either NRCS or your local County Conservation Board. Some counties offer "grants" to cover the costs of seed, fertilizer and herbicide to establish food plots while others may offer free or low costs seeds such as corn, milo, sunflowers ad sometimes even NWSG seed.

Habitat Forever, LLC (PF) can help get things done if you don't have equipment and/or time.

Quail Forever (QF) offers most of the same services as a sister organization to PF

National Wild Turkey Federation also offers low cost or free seed and seedlings and also offer $600 grants to establish trees and green food plots (such as clover) and in Iowa applications are available thruough your IDNR
Private Lands Biologists.

Dave Whittlesey
Regional NWTF Wildlife Biologist
3158 Pacific
Woodburn, IA 50275

Phone: (641) 342-2500
Fax: (641) 324-3535
E-Mail: dwhittlesey@nwtf.net or dwhittle@iowatelecom.net
Dave will be promoting wildlife habitat development on both existing and new CRP. He will be writing planting plans for anyone that has an interest in practices beneficial to wildlife, such as tree plantings, food plots, etc. so give Dave a call even if you have an older existing CRP plan.

Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program

At the heart of the Service's mission are the conservation and management of the Federal Trust Species: migratory birds; threatened and endangered species; inter-jurisdictional fish; certain marine mammals; and species of international concern
Please see the post below because many species qualify and even more benefit.

Federal FWS Grants

I'm sure I am missing something or someone so please help me add to this list and remind me when a new program becomes available.

Restoring Oak Savanna's

Nature Conservancy Article

Gregg Pattison
USFWS - Iowa Private Lands Office
Science and Math Room 123
1 University Place
Lamoni, Iowa 50140
Office: (641) 784-5356
Cell: (515) 979-5768
Fax: (641) 784-5054
Gregg_Pattison@fws.gov
Cost share certainly helps us all improve our wildlife habitat not only for whitetails but all wildlife :)

Last edited:
Great great post! Lock this one up at the top

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough fair enough... guess I haven't put to use all the available resources :)

I still think it's great to get a refresher up about these programs especially at a time in the state where so much of the conservation oriented land is getting put back into production.

Just bumping this thread back up to remind everyone to apply for funding for a host of practices for this coming winter and 2010 spring.

REAP funding will be coming up soon and counties will decide what to fund and if yours is first in line you'll have a good chance of your project being funded. REAP is often used for TSI and Tree Planting projects for instance.

As long as your land is not being leased for hunting you can take advantage of Pheasants Forever grants or cost shares for establishing food plots.

NWTF has granst for establishing trees and green food plots among others.

EQUIP has 50% cost share for TSI and Brush Management so it pays to stop by your NRCS office, call your IDNR Private Lands Biologists and IDNR Forester and check with your local County Conservation Board.

Cost share funding helps us to continue improving our wildlife habitat for ALL wildlife by keeping it diverse and plenty of food and cover so make it a point to know what is available and when applications need to be in...;)

One More Funding Source

there is another funding source specifically for private landowners looking to enhance/protect habitat. the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has the Partners for Fish and Wildlife program (http://www.fws.gov/partners/). its a great program that awards grants of up to $25,000 on a competitive basis for habitat enhancement/protection projects that will benefit federally listed species or other federal trust species such as migratory birds (pretty much every native bird in the U.S.). before you shake your head about listed species and migratory birds, remember that wild turkeys fall in that category. and several of the migratory birds benefit immensely from the habitat enhancement that you really want for improved deer habitat. the closest USFWS office is in the Rock Island area, servicing Iowa and Illinois, but some local refuge staff (biologists) should be able to help out. there is also a Partners coordinator assigned to the Neal Smith NWR, but stationed in Lamoni, Iowa (Graceland College) who works with local land owners to enhance habitat with fire (Rx burns). I work for the USFWS down here in AZ, but would be glad to help direct anyone. i've helped friends in Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma pursue the grants. you use the migratory birds (even turkeys) as your driving force, but you end up benefitting deer as well!

Last edited:
there is another funding source specifically for private landowners looking to enhance/protect habitat. the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has the Partners for Fish and Wildlife program (http://www.fws.gov/partners/). its a great program that awards grants of up to $25,000 on a competitive basis for habitat enhancement/protection projects that will benefit federally listed species or other federal trust species such as migratory birds (pretty much every native bird in the U.S.). before you shake your head about listed species and migratory birds, remember that wild turkeys fall in that category. and several of the migratory birds benefit immensely from the habitat enhancement that you really want for improved deer habitat. the closest USFWS office is in the Rock Island area, servicing Iowa and Illinois, but some local refuge staff (biologists) should be able to help out. there is also a Partners coordinator assigned to the Neal Smith NWR, but stationed in Lamoni, Iowa (Graceland College) who works with local land owners to enhance habitat with fire (Rx burns). I work for the USFWS down here in AZ, but would be glad to help direct anyone. i've helped friends in Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma pursue the grants. you use the migratory birds (even turkeys) as your driving force, but you end up benefitting deer as well!

Thanks! That's some awesome information and we appreciate your input!

Habitat improvments improve habitat for many species of wildlife and I think most of us are all about that.

I'll add it to the first post! :way:

dbltree-

I grew up in Central Iowa (graduated high school with Bowman, if you know him) and moved away 12 years ago. its great to here some support for what all we do in the FWS. i always try like hell to get our name out in a good light. out west, where we're loaded with federally protected species and we, as an agency, have to work with large tracts of federal land (AZ is about 70% public land) and convince other federal land management agencies why they need to protect these species/habitat, we can get pretty beat up. private land owners have all the great habitat and we try really hard to convince them of the benefits (and that we CAN'T take their land away) of protecting everything. its refreshing to hear support and see that others see the value in protecting habitat the most obscure thing (even a cardinal) because it provides an umbrella of habitat improvements for "charismatic megafauna". i'm planning a trip back to Iowa for an archery deer hunt in a couple of year (amass preference pts first), so hopefully will be seeing more of your stuff. i'm also a good source for hunting out west, esp in AZ (although its almost all lottery; can't even get drawn to have tag soup). archery Coue's deer hunt...one of the hardest hunts in the world. come on down!

Last edited:
I spent some time with Dave Whittlesey, regional Wildlife Biologist with the NWTF to go over a plan for my place and discuss potential future cost share projects. Dave is going to be writing plans for the NRCS because "wildlife" is really not their specialty but they understand the importance of a sound management plan.

Wildlife habitat is of course something Dave would love to help you with and that includes all wildlife, not just turkeys.

The NWTF is like Pheasants Forever in the respect that they both do a tremendous amount for wildlife of all kinds and have very knowledgable biologists waiting to advise you making memebrship to both a small price to pay!

National Wild Turkey Federation

You don't need to be a member to have Dave write up an NRCS/CRP plan but you DO need to join if interested in any of NWTF's cost share or free trees programs.

Dave Whittlesey
Regional Wildlife Biologist
3158 Pacific
Woodburn, IA 50275

Phone: (641) 342-2500
Fax: (641) 324-3535
E-Mail: dwhittlesey@nwtf.net or dwhittle@iowatelecom.net

Dave will be promoting wildlife habitat development on both existing and new CRP. He will be writing planting plans for anyone that has an interest in practices beneficial to wildlife, such as tree plantings, food plots, etc. so give him a call and get started on a better habitat program today! :way:

I bid my home farm into the General CRP signup however I have a lot of bottom ground with a high CSR value so it may not get accepted.

More points of course to agree to plant CP-25 (a NWSG mix) for 50 points and new this time around is the option to put in some pollinator plots (a mix of wildflowers) that runs $400 an acre...I passed on that one but it does get you 20 more points.

The signup is expected to have a lot of applicants and it will be highly competitive so lowering the bid price may be helpful. I opted to go all or nothing and if it doesn't fly I'll try for any continous CRP that I can such as Riparian buffers and grassed waterways.

Rental rates are pretty high this time around and FSA calculates that based on CSR values. Another option this time is 15 years rather then 10 if you so choose.

I'd love to get my place signed up before the whole thing washes down the river...:rolleyes:

I feel those are some of the biggest obstacles for our pollinators, not many flowers to pollinate anymore. The more I look around at the cattle pastures, crop fields, hay field etc, I see few flowers for anything to pollinate so it seems that should be a point of focus for them.

Last edited:
I feel that is some of the biggest obstacles for our pollinators, not many flowers to pollinate anymore. The more I look around at the cattle pastures, crop fields, hay field etc, I see few flowers for anything to pollinate so it seems that should be a point of focus for them.

That's true Phil and it's nice to see that they have this option available!

My whole farm had scored too low with the bottom land added in so we'll try again with just the HEL and see what I can get in the Continous CRP.

I hope the Riparian Buffer, grassed waterways and such will allow me to protect more of the bottom land also.

Here's some great links to better understand what options are available through the Continous CRP program.

Conservation Reserve Program Continuous Sign-up

Continuous CRP Practices

Continuous CRP: A Soil Saving Bargain for Corn-Soybean Growers

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none" class=data border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 119px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top scope=row>Buffers

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 440px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>CP8A-Grass Waterways
CP21-Filter Strip
CP22-Riparian Buffer
CP29-Marginal Pastureland Wildlife Habitat Buffer
CP30-Marginal Pastureland Wetland Buffer

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 119px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top scope=row>Wetlands

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 440px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>CP9-Shallow Water Areas for Wildlife
CP23-Wetland Restoration
CP23A-Wetland Restoration, Non-Floodplain
CP27-Farmable Wetlands;
CP28-Farmable Wetland Buffer

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 119px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top scope=row>Trees

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 440px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>CP3-Tree Planting*
CP3A-Hardwood Tree Planting*
CP5A-Field Windbreak Establishment
CP16A-Shelterbelt Establishment
CP17A-Living Snow Fences
CP31-Bottomland Timber Establishment on Wetlands

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 119px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top scope=row>Grass

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 440px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>CP1-Establishment of Permanent Introduced Grasses & Legumes*
CP2-Establishment of Permanent Native Grasses*
CP-4B Permanent Wildlife Habitat (Corridors)*
CP4D-Permanent Wildlife Habitat*
CP10-Vegetative Cover-Grass-Already Established*
CP15A-Establishment of Permanent Vegetative Cover (Contour Grass Strips)
CP15B-Establishment of Permanent Vegetative Cover (Contour Grass Strips), on Terraces
CP33-Habitat Buffers for Upland Birds

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 119px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top scope=row>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 440px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>* These practices are eligible if within 2000 feet of a protected wellhead.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dbltree: Wouldn't your bottom ground be eligible for Continuous CRP wetlands program or hardwoods program. CP-23 or CP-31 I think...

The advantage would be more cost share, a higher payment, and a $100 per acre bonus payment per acre.

I think they would allow switchgrass? Anyway, I am sure you know the programs, but I was just curious.

Hi guys. Just finished putting my application in and am trying to get 11 acres in CP-25 on my farm. I looked over the plantings and it looked like the "Iowa Mix" has Indian, Big Blue and Switch. Although, I had heard before that switch was frowned on due to its highly competitive nature?

Also of note, I spoke with Lee county NRCS and they said if one choses the CP-25 that they CAN NOT plant pollinators with them, even if you pay extra-as they are all included in the CP-25? Any input on that is appreciated but the "Iowa Mix" looks good or would you guys suggest another CP line. Again-may not get in but we shall see.

Also-the food plot points can be had if you plant 10% of EACH field in a plot, rather than 10% of the whole, and this can only be up to 5 acres total in regards to the food plots, in each separate field.

Great to see the dollars available...maybe we will see pheasants again in Iowa :)

Dbltree: Wouldn't your bottom ground be eligible for Continuous CRP wetlands program or hardwoods program. CP-23 or CP-31 I think... /
<o></o>
The advantage would be more cost share, a higher payment, and a $100 per acre bonus payment per acre. <o></o>
<o></o>
I think they would allow switchgrass? Anyway, I am sure you know the programs, but I was just curious.
<o></o>
<o></o>
Yes...it will be I think but I have to sign papers first to start that process at which point the NRCS will come out and look everything over. He'll help me decide what will qualify for what and proceed from there.<o></o>
<o></o>
Right not eh FSA offices is overwhelmed with General CRP app's so it may be September before I can start on the Continuous CRP process.<o></o>
<o></o>
Hi guys. Just finished putting my application in and am trying to get 11 acres in CP-25 on my farm. I looked over the plantings and it looked like the "Iowa Mix" has Indian, Big Blue and Switch. Although, I had heard before that switch was frowned on due to its highly competitive nature?

Also of note, I spoke with Lee county NRCS and they said if one chooses the CP-25 that they CAN NOT plant pollinators with them, even if you pay extra-as they are all included in the CP-25? Any input on that is appreciated but the "Iowa Mix" looks good or would you guys suggest another CP line. Again-may not get in but we shall see.

Also-the food plot points can be had if you plant 10% of EACH field in a plot, rather than 10% of the whole, and this can only be up to 5 acres total in regards to the food plots, in each separate field.
<o></o>

<o></o>
I suspect there is a lot of confusion in all of these programs but in my case the FSA people had received the briefing on all of this. In each case people in each office may understand or misunderstand the info they were told, so it may vary county to county.<o></o>
<o></o>
Switchgrass is really not competitive despite what all of us have been told and in my case after 15 years, Indiangrass is taking over!<o></o>
<o></o>
The pollinators are to be planted in separate plots in separate fields and ALL of the pollinators on my list are NOT in the CP-25 mix. That being said they are way to expensive for my budget at $400 an acre. :eek: <o></o>
<o></o>
In my own personal case the FSA office is missing some soil type data that allows them to compute the rental rate and of course the final EBI score and we are down to the final week of the signup.<o></o>
<o></o>
I'm not sure what happens if the data does not get corrected in time??

Keep us posted on your CRP bid HY...:)

Last edited:
<o></o>
<o></o>

The pollinators are to be planted in separate plots in separate fields and ALL of the pollinators on my list are NOT in the CP-25 mix. That being said they are way to expensive for my budget at $400 an acre. :eek: <o></o>
<o></o>

What all is in the pollinator mix? I have several wf's spotted I will be collecting from and if I can hold collect the seeds and already have it seeded, it may be easier and save me a lot of dough if I enroll in something like that in the coming years. :drink2:

What all is in the pollinator mix? I have several wf's spotted I will be collecting from and if I can hold collect the seeds and already have it seeded, it may be easier and save me a lot of dough if I enroll in something like that in the coming years. :drink2:

I have a complete list but it may vary by county or state? It's quite a long list but I'll post it when I get time...;)

Top Bottom