Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Conservation Cost Share Programs

Thanks Paul. So for the CP-25 mix (ie 'Iowa Mix') the grasses and wildflowers are not all mixed together?

Also, I was caalled yesterday and said I could not have a food plot in a couple field as the % was too small, but that i could mix clover into the plot. Wouldn't the BB, IG and switch choke it out, or would one just plant flowers with the clovers etc in an area? I was confused on that.

Thanks Paul. So for the CP-25 mix (ie 'Iowa Mix') the grasses and wildflowers are not all mixed together?

Also, I was caalled yesterday and said I could not have a food plot in a couple field as the % was too small, but that i could mix clover into the plot. Wouldn't the BB, IG and switch choke it out, or would one just plant flowers with the clovers etc in an area? I was confused on that.

Remember that the various "mixes" are suggested and you still have some control when you order the seed. When ordering from John Osenbaugh of Prairie Seed Farms you can ask that switch and flower seeds be kept seperate for instance.

DON"T mix clover with a new NWSG seeding or it will choke it out from from the start! That is bad advice on thier part and I have seen too many failures where clover was mixed in!

Thats for the great advice Paul. How could one incorporate a food plot while still signing up a field with CP-25? Is this even possible?

Only 1/2 acre in two different fields would be ideal for a small plot that is already established-with the rest being CRP if I get the funding. What would you recommend?

Thats for the great advice Paul. How could one incorporate a food plot while still signing up a field with CP-25? Is this even possible?

Only 1/2 acre in two different fields would be ideal for a small plot that is already established-with the rest being CRP if I get the funding. What would you recommend?

I think there is a minimum size but really small plots can be challenging unless you fence them. Clover can take a beating as can the fall cereal grain mix (winter rye, oats and peas) but brassicas, soybeans or corn would be decimated within a month of planting in most cases.

Whenever possible keep plots centered in the middle of NWSG plantings so deer and other wildlife feel secure feeding there and are more likely to use the native grasses to bed in and travel thru.

I hunt timbered travel corridors leading to fields with NWSG surrounding food sources and those tactics can be very productive...:way:

I was at Farm Service on Friday and apparantly a food plot in CP25 is a little tricky.

I did not include a food plot on my CP25 but was told I would be able to add one later (which doesn't give you any points for sign-up).

What type of EBI scores are you guys coming up with on your properties? Our place had a score of 223. I am thinking this isnt gonna make the cut but I guess you never know. The last general signup in 2006 it took an EBI score of 242 to get in. What do you guys think?

What type of EBI scores are you guys coming up with on your properties? Our place had a score of 223. I am thinking this isnt gonna make the cut but I guess you never know. The last general signup in 2006 it took an EBI score of 242 to get in. What do you guys think?

I've heard that 240 is about average right now. I've also heard that applications are down.

I've heard that 240 is about average right now. I've also heard that applications are down.

Mine was 244...all very HEL, agreed to plant CP-25 mix, rental rate was $121 an acre...signed the papers today so we'll see what happens.

Our FSA office has been VERY busy but hard to say nationwide?

I turned in EQUIP and WHIP applications in October, and have yet to hear if I was approved for funding. I called the lady at the NRCS who is the District Conservationist in December and she said she had not prepared my app. yet?? Is that typical?

When should I hear if I got approved for funding? I would like to get orders placed before they start running out of trees.

The Forester's plan calls for 1700 feet of screening cover and underplanting 18.5 acres of oaks in established timber. I think it will end up being a total of around 1,100 trees with 400 being oaks.

I turned in EQUIP and WHIP applications in October, and have yet to hear if I was approved for funding. I called the lady at the NRCS who is the District Conservationist in December and she said she had not prepared my app. yet?? Is that typical?

When should I hear if I got approved for funding? I would like to get orders placed before they start running out of trees.

The Forester's plan calls for 1700 feet of screening cover and underplanting 18.5 acres of oaks in established timber. I think it will end up being a total of around 1,100 trees with 400 being oaks.

Unfortunately I don't think we hear until March which kinda stinks I know. One good thing about EQIP/WHIP is that you have several years to complete the project. If some tree species are sold out in March you can order this fall for next spring....;)

Also look at adding wildflowers/forbes to your cp-25 that deer really enjoy to browse. There are several of them out there and they add diversity and food for lots of species besides deer. Slender lespedeza, purple prairie clover, round headed bush clover, white prairie clover to name a few....those are all legumes too. :way:

If Im told that my apps were approved do I purchase all the trees and supplies and then get refunded once they are planted. Or how do you get the funds for your projects?

If Im told that my apps were approved do I purchase all the trees and supplies and then get refunded once they are planted. Or how do you get the funds for your projects?

That is how my funding is working...don't think its through WHIP or EQUIP tho. Its funding from the MDC, but I know in about all, if not all cases you need to save the receipts. :way:

I apologize if Im off here, but I have applied for 3 acres of cedar planting on my place and it is going through REAP I believe.

I get the work done then submit the bill, then get paid I believe, 75% of the project cost?

I apologize if Im off here, but I have applied for 3 acres of cedar planting on my place and it is going through REAP I believe.

I get the work done then submit the bill, then get paid I believe, 75% of the project cost?

Yes...that is correct but REAP is an Iowa state funded cost share not available in most other states.

EQIP and WHIP are federally funded programs available to ALL states and they are not cots share really but just a set payment per acre or practice. ;)

I'll try to put some of this in the appropriate threads but here are just a few cost share options.

Iowa only....REAP Practices must be approved by IDNR Forester and paid once inspected by the IDNR Forester and bill submitted.

TSI - Timber Stand Improvement 5 acre minimum - allowed $160 an acre X 75% =$120

Tree Planting - 3 acre minimum $600 allowed per acre X 75% = $450

Tree Planting/Weed Tree Removal - $160/$600 x 75% (weed tree removal may be less acres then total planted)

Federal Programs...these two have identical practices but EQIP practices allowed are different by county/state while WHIP is nationwide.

<table dir="ltr" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="503" height="39"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td valign="top"> Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)

Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP)

Check by State

The following is just a brief list of a few of the options available...check this link for the complete list and the payment rates.

2011 Iowa EQIP Practices and Payments

314 Brush Management (weed tree removal)

647 Early Successional Habitat Development/Management (Timber Edge Feathering)

490 Forest Site Preparation

666 Forest Stand Improvement (TSI or Weed Tree removal)

422 Hedgerow Planting

338 Prescribed Burning

391 Riparian Forest Buffer

612 Tree and Shrub Establishment

380 Windbreak or Shelterbelt Establishment

In all cases either the forester or NRCS Tech will need to inspect the finished practice beore the operator/landowner can be paid. Usually a simple bill will suffice (10 acres TSI X $160 for example) but in some cases they will want an itemized (seedlings, herbicides, fuel, labor etc) that add up to the total cost share.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The federal programs are not cost share, just a payment per acre so slightly different then the state programs.

Talk with NRCS and your local forester/private land biologist for more details but even they get confused, so look over the links and be informed yourself! :way:

I haven't visited this thread for a while and just read about how the NRCS isn't including pollinators's needs (or something to that effect). I know I've given Phil some good information and contact info, but for the rest of you, I strongly encourage you to talk to a FWS Partners for Fish and Wildlife Biologist about habitat improvements. Many of you may know that, globally, we are seeing a huge decrease in pollinators and their habitat. Our Partners program (see posts on page 1) has recognized this and is able to include that aspect of habitat restoration in what they can fund (remember $25K competitive grants). Talk to a Partners biologist and see what they say. Pollinators are the key to the long-term survival of every ecosystem! And, as always, I am happy to guide anyone to whomever they need to contact in any FWS office.

Top Bottom