Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn for food plots

N

norbecker

I am thinking about planting corn in a food plot, in an effort to keep deer in my area after all the surrounding crops are taken out. I have been told a bag of seed corn cost about $150, I am not sure how much that would cover ½ acre? Any way whole corn for feed sells for $ 10 a bag. I realize feed corn would not germinate as well, but I can help but think I could plant 4 times as much feed corn for half the price. Has any one tried planting feed corn? Or should I just spend the money of seed corn? Thanks for the help

For food plots, you might get away with feed corn (or bin run corn from the local grain elevator). The seed companies will sue you silly if you try to plant feed corn for resale! Figure 2.5 acres per bag of seed corn. You should be able to find seed corn priced between $80.00-$200.00.

Another option might be to contact local farmers and seed dealers. Once opened, a bag of seed corn can not be returned to the dealer for credit. Most farmers do not want to store it for next year, as germination will be impacted. One year, I called the DNR and "donated" my open bags of seed to them for planting food plots (I got a receipt for tax purposes). Another year I took an opened bag of seed back to the dealer, telling him if anybody ran a little short on that variety, give it to them. Since most of this seed is treated with pesticide, it can be difficult to dispose of.

if you know a seed corn dealer ask him what he does with the bags that are broke open. My uncle is a seed corn dealer and usually every year has a couple of bags that are broke so he gives them to me for my food plots. They aren't a completely full bag but for the price you can't beat it. Good Luck

I've done corn a couple times now for plots, both times with donated seed. Check with Pheasants Forever or NWTF chapter. Both times, I got decent germination and a pretty good stand even though I broadcasted. One thing I'm convinced of is that unless you are going to go into it like you plan on raising 200 bushel corn (fertilizer, herbicides, etc), you probably have better options. One acre of mediocre corn in a high density deer area doesn't go very far.

I agree with Pharmer. I planted three acres of corn, looked to be about 125 bushel/acre yield, gone by first weekend in December and the deer had to walk a quarter mile from the nearest timber. It was located in the middle of 130 acres of switch grass, though.

The last 2 yrs I have put in a 3 acre food plot of corn. It has alfalfa on one side and is surrounded on three sides by trees. Outside of the trees is a 55 acre corn field. Last yr I had my dad pick it in the spring. Suprisingly I got about 75 bushels out of it. When there is snow on the ground they flock to it. But when the ground is bare they dont use it. I definatly think its worth having though.

Pharmer, what else would you plant to atract deer after the othere feilds are out? durring the summer there are endless acers of corn beans and hay for the deer. i just want something to keep the deer after the other feilds are out.

You might try the Biologic mix for late season. It's something different then corn/beans. Plant in late summer along with turnips and rye.
Pharmer is right about corn, you either have to go the whole 9 yards or don't mess with it. I have great luck with corn but I have my own equipment, I use Roundup Ready seed corn which runs about $90 a bag...2 bags does about 5-6 acres. Total cost runs me about $150-200 an acre and it is a pain at times, spraying, applying nitrogen etc....in my case it's well worth it, but lots of much cheaper alternatives for sure. Sometimes something "different" can be a big draw.

What do you do with he plot in the spring in reguards to the corn stalks? Mow then no till or try and disc them down? Maybe the deer and weather knock them down so its not an issue?

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

what dose the biologic fall mix consist of? are the plants "green leafy" or is their plants with a grain?

Bonk- I shredded them one time and then disked so I could do beans. The other time I frost seeded some clover into the stalks and just let nature take over. Between the wind and weather theygot beat down pretty good and the turkeys loved bugging in the clover and decaying stalks.

[ QUOTE ]
what dose the biologic fall mix consist of? are the plants "green leafy" or is their plants with a grain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to the web site, they have many different products and of course you don't have to buy from them. (other companies have similer mixes)
They have several mixes that will stay green in the fall (no grain in the ones I'm thinking of). Much less expensive then corn...but make sure it's hidden or you will have a poaching problem!

http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/maximum.asp

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with he plot in the spring in reguards to the corn stalks?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also offset the rows (aim down the middle of the old ones) and no-till.

I realize that this would most likely be a loosing battle, but does anyone try to fence (or in some way try to keep deer and turkeys out of) your food plot to allow the plants to get a good start before letting it be eaten?

The deer at my farm do too much detasseling IMO. You can walk certain areas where it looks like a detasseling crew went through the field. Then, they like to eat the silks off the end of the ears. You get a lot of bobbed ears that are more susceptible to smut. I think they do most of this damage as they are walking to my bean fields. I harvest the corn asap to prevent it from walking to the timber.
mad.gif
grin.gif

I swear they start eating mine from the minute it sprouts all the way until the last kernel is gone! The pull the centers right out until it gets to tall and rank for them...then they start on the ears!! Only because I plant enough and pour on the fertilizer does some actually make ears!! Tons of crops all around, but mine is hidden and "safe".
Fencing would be cost prohibitive I would think. I guess I would stick with clover or brassicas rather then fencing.
I planted one acre of RR soybeans this past year beacuse I wanted to nuke the brome and let the sod rot down a bit before planting clover. The soys never got more then an inch ot two hign!!
There is a beautiful field of alfalfa right across the fence too!!

Top Bottom